British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What is it about Perth?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-about-perth-331701/)

Grayling Oct 16th 2005 8:03 am

What is it about Perth??

That polarises people so much :confused:

If you want loads of hits, replies, congratulations, Karma and good will....just put up a post saying how wonderful Perth is or 'which is the best suburb' etc.

However if you want to be flamed, insulted, called a whingeing pom, Told to F**k off back home or just start a war put up a thread crticising the place :eek:

Perth seems to raise more passions than any other place in Australia.

This has been going on on this site as long as I can remember.

What's it all about :confused:

G

Siren & Brian Oct 16th 2005 8:12 am

Re: What is it about Perth??

Because when people criticise they on the most part are not factual and very exaggerated, just like the other person that spammed alot of crap and I told to F.O.

Scorpio1 Oct 16th 2005 8:23 am

What a load of rubbish, S & B :rolleyes: ! You really are intolerant of other people's genuine viewpoints, aren't you (and no, I won't F.O., thank you very much :D )?

psb182 Oct 16th 2005 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Grayling

If you want loads of hits, replies, congratulations, Karma and good will....just put up a post saying how wonderful Perth is or 'which is the best suburb' etc.

However if you want to be flamed, insulted, called a whingeing pom, Told to F**k off back home or just start a war put up a thread crticising the place :eek:

G

let me take a wild guess that Perth is the cheapest place to go to in OZ?

please tell me if I am right or wrong because I really don't know......some people just can't take others viewpoints........what works for 1 does not always work for others.......for instance if I was going on a vacation anywhere in the world lets say for 2 weeks then if I spent more than 2 days laying on the beach I would be very upset.....the beach does not float my boat.......neither does intense heat for prolonged periods of time......however I do know some people LOVE what I hate and fair play to them.......I guess whats right for you is all that really matters so just take others viewpoints with a grain of salt ;)

Betty Boot Oct 16th 2005 9:07 am

[QUOTE=Grayling]That polarises people so much :confused:

Cos Perth is so boring we visit this website all the time :) so there are more perth peeps on here

joho Oct 16th 2005 10:27 am

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhOh my god here we go again.

I LOVE EVERYWHERE AND EVERYBODY OK.

JO

Amazulu Oct 16th 2005 10:37 am

Because Perth is brilliant. Anyone who says it is boring with nothing to do is boring & a whinging pom. I arrived here with a bit of trepidation about Perth because of the bollocks that has been posted on this newsgroup about it. So far so good for me. Anyone who does not like Perth should visit Brisbane. Now that is a hole.

Emzee Oct 16th 2005 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling

G

Because it's a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it, i am saying NO COMMENT :D

Cheetah7 Oct 16th 2005 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Because Perth is brilliant. Anyone who says it is boring with nothing to do is boring & a whinging pom. I arrived here with a bit of trepidation about Perth because of the bollocks that has been posted on this newsgroup about it. So far so good for me. Anyone who does not like Perth should visit Brisbane. Now that is a hole.

Some people that live in Brisbane may feel that Perth is a hole.

As they say, what suits one person doesn't suit another.

ElshaUK Oct 16th 2005 12:31 pm

I have no idea what it is about Perth. Well, I have loads of ideas....I mean it was my home for 15 years. I guess, it is the lump in my throat and the tear in my eye when we touch down at Perth Airport and I see the shimmering tarmac, see the city in the distance & hear the Aussie captains voice say 'Welcome home'

Susan

:)

Cheetah7 Oct 16th 2005 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
I have no idea what it is about Perth. Well, I have loads of ideas....I mean it was my home for 15 years. I guess, it is the lump in my throat and the tear in my eye when we touch down at Perth Airport and I see the shimmering tarmac, see the city in the distance & hear the Aussie captains voice say 'Welcome home'

Susan

:)

Are you in the UK long term Susan?

I felt like I had come 'home' both times I went to Australia.

Ozceltic Oct 16th 2005 12:43 pm

We visited Perth in 2003 when we visited on a fact finding trip. We found Perth to be a hot dusty sandy crime ridden isolated hell and decided we would never go back as long as we lived.

Why anyone would want to move to Perth is beyond me, although I suppose it depends where you are moving from, to some it must have an appeal but I just can't see it.

ElshaUK Oct 16th 2005 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Are you in the UK long term Susan?

I felt like I had come 'home' both times I went to Australia.

Yes - came back here in 1999 to be with a bloke whom I had met online (and in real life) and ended up staying here, getting engaged & setting up home with him. I didn't think about staying here the rest of my life or moving back there - I just came over and was in love and didn't think about long term goals! :)

I have persuaded him to move back with me. We cannot afford it right now, due to credit cards/loan but I am hoping to get those amounts down to a manageable level and then go back 'home' with them. I never thought I'd miss Australia so much - I mean, in Australia, I was so proud to be English and here in England, I am so proud to be an Aussie! :confused:

There are great things about both countries (and not so great things). I will miss some of the British telly for sure, especially the level of programmes we've had just recently (but I am sure they will get shown in Australia at some point). Australia is just a more relaxed place, the weather makes it cheerful & whilst I know the grass is always greener on the other side, and that I've only been back on holidays in the last 6 years - I just wanna go home!

Ok....this post has run away from me.

Susan

Cheetah7 Oct 16th 2005 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
Yes - came back here in 1999 to be with a bloke whom I had met online (and in real life) and ended up staying here, getting engaged & setting up home with him. I didn't think about staying here the rest of my life or moving back there - I just came over and was in love and didn't think about long term goals! :)

I have persuaded him to move back with me. We cannot afford it right now, due to credit cards/loan but I am hoping to get those amounts down to a manageable level and then go back 'home' with them. I never thought I'd miss Australia so much - I mean, in Australia, I was so proud to be English and here in England, I am so proud to be an Aussie! :confused:

There are great things about both countries (and not so great things). I will miss some of the British telly for sure, especially the level of programmes we've had just recently (but I am sure they will get shown in Australia at some point). Australia is just a more relaxed place, the weather makes it cheerful & whilst I know the grass is always greener on the other side, and that I've only been back on holidays in the last 6 years - I just wanna go home!

Ok....this post has run away from me.

Susan

I think you would be surprised at the people that take their debts with them and pay them off from Australia.

I hope you get back anyway.

Do you have an Aussie passport?

ElshaUK Oct 16th 2005 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I think you would be surprised at the people that take their debts with them and pay them off from Australia.

I hope you get back anyway.

Do you have an Aussie passport?

Yes, it runs out next August so I need to see about renewing it here. I hope I don't need my citizenship papers to renew it, as I am on my Mum's papers and they could be anywhere at my Dad's house (My Mum passed away in 1998).

I have both UK & Aussie passport. I became a citizen when I was 14.

Hmmm now, my partner has a UK passport as he is a citizen of this country but he is Indian by Birth - wonder how weird that is going to be when applying for a visa for him?!

Susan