Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is it about Perth??

What is it about Perth??

Old Oct 16th 2005, 1:56 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it about Perth??

Originally Posted by Grayling
That polarises people so much

If you want loads of hits, replies, congratulations, Karma and good will....just put up a post saying how wonderful Perth is or 'which is the best suburb' etc.

However if you want to be flamed, insulted, called a whingeing pom, Told to F**k off back home or just start a war put up a thread crticising the place

Perth seems to raise more passions than any other place in Australia.

This has been going on on this site as long as I can remember.

What's it all about

G
generally because the information posted (flamed) is not factual, or when it is 'factual' (eg Perth is isolated) it doesn't cover all the bases. (yes Perth is isolated geographically, but not politically, climatically, financially, or "infrastucturally" )

I have no problem with people saying that they personally dont like Perth, but what really gets my goat is folk that say ' "I" hate Perth therefore everybody should hate Perth'. Personally I cant stand Melbourne, Paris and London - you literally couldnt pay me enough to live in any of these cities, but I would never be rude enough to slate somebody else who does enjoy it. Different people enjoy different things (thank god), but the ones that dont like Perth seem to be very intolerant of those of us who do.

I totally love perth (and I'm originally East coast not west coast) but I have karma'ed many people who have said they dont like Perth - only the witty ones mind you, not the boring ones !

18 months into living here & I still see planes taking off and think "oh you poor people" - 14 countries lived and worked & 38 countries visited (across 4 continents) and I can honestly say Perth is the only place I have thought that.

I think the thing that really gets to me is they come on here and complain and complain and complain and complain and complain but actually seem to do nothing about it. My personal feelings are that if you hate it that much stop complaining and start doing ! Nobody and nothing is forcing them to stay !
Old Oct 16th 2005, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

ozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ozceltic
We visited Perth in 2003 when we visited on a fact finding trip. We found Perth to be a hot dusty sandy crime ridden isolated hell and decided we would never go back as long as we lived.

Why anyone would want to move to Perth is beyond me, although I suppose it depends where you are moving from, to some it must have an appeal but I just can't see it.

Well it just shows how everyone is different-I have been on holiday many times and LOVED it and cant wait till I get there permanently
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:45 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Every notice how when you are trying to lose weight there is always some overweight friend trying to feed you all the things you are trying to avoid?
And when you are trying to quit smoking, there are always smokers telling you that you won't.. you'll be smoking again in a few days/weeks/months?
Likewise with alcohol and drinking buddies?

There are always people who somehow feel diminished when others around them are doing something positive for themselves or are happy with themselves. They feel the need to point out all the flaws in your plan/viewpoint in order to make themselves feel better/superior.

I honestly don't care what someone ELSES opinion of Perth is, because the only opinion that matters is MINE. I don't believe that by enjoying the place that I choose to live in makes me somehow less intelligent or of lower class (which only seems to be important to the folks from the UK anyway - because Aussies sure don't care!) than someone who doesn't like Perth.

People get offended because they feel like they are under personal attack, which happens occasionally (see another recent thread) and throws the whole forum into a tailspin. One side attacks (and/or agrees with the attacker) and the other side defends (thier viewpoint or friends.) Too often the level of maturity in here falls to school yard levels. (Name calling etc..)

There is nothing wrong with differing opinions, just the manner in which they are debated. I can completely understand Brian's "Stuff you" attitude. Why deal with people who are determined to whinge about anything and everything? (Regardless of nationality.) Best to just wash our hands of the whole thing, and hey, maybe be glad that we don't live in Bali or New Orleans right now.

Siren

Last edited by Siren & Brian; Oct 18th 2005 at 6:47 am.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian

People get offended because they feel like they are under personal attack,
There are disagreements over lots of things on this site.

It just seems that more emotions are aroused when Perth is the subject.

Why is this

That was my original point.

G
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:57 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

There are disagreements over lots of things on this site.

It just seems that more emotions are aroused when Perth is the subject.

Why is this

That was my original point.

G

I think that the Perthites are simply more vocal. I'm betting the ratio of people moving to Perth (or moved) to the rest of the country is higher, therefore more people to debate the subject.

Sheer numbers!

Siren
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:00 am
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice

Perth seems to raise more passions than any other place in Australia.

This has been going on on this site as long as I can remember.

What's it all about

G
Because it’s a nice place on first impressions – clean, sunny (but not always warm, some will understand that, other will bicker), relaxed and pleasant people, those wonderful parks, great food, cheap when visiting and spending her majesty’s finest pounds, and that glorious shimmering river and ocean. It’s got many drawcards for Brits (especially when you’re from somewhere like I’m from anyway).

And then you live here.

And then the emotions go into overdrive. Wonderful glorious infuriating irritating isolated bearable different enjoyable frustrating annoying arse end of the universe.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:17 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: What is it about Perth??

Originally Posted by psb182
let me take a wild guess that Perth is the cheapest place to go to in OZ?
Wrong.

Tasmania is the cheapest for real estate, though some products and services can be more expensive due to the fact that it's very small island with a very small population.

And before anyone starts on the "Perth is so isolated" thing - I was born and raised in Perth, but spent 15 years living in Tassie and, it felt a lot more isolated than Perth.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:37 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Wrong.

Tasmania is the cheapest for real estate, though some products and services can be more expensive due to the fact that it's very small island with a very small population.

And before anyone starts on the "Perth is so isolated" thing - I was born and raised in Perth, but spent 15 years living in Tassie and, it felt a lot more isolated than Perth.
When you say cheapest for real estate, are you taking of living in the middle of nowhere?? I gotta say the houses dont look that cheap to me

As for feeling more isolated, Tas is a small island and very easy to get round with frequent links to the mainland, can you explain how it felt more isolated?

Possoms