What about NZ?

Old Jan 15th 2003, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What about NZ?

A current topic under discussion is the high costs, high taxes and low wages in Australia. What about NZ? What are migrants' experiences of these things in NZ? I know wages are lower and many items cost more in real terms but what is the overall effect for migrants from the UK?
Old Jan 15th 2003, 6:06 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What about NZ?

Originally posted by sofistek
A current topic under discussion is the high costs, high taxes and low wages in Australia. What about NZ? What are migrants' experiences of these things in NZ? I know wages are lower and many items cost more in real terms but what is the overall effect for migrants from the UK?

OK here are the facts from our point of view

IN THE UK WE:-
were a 1 income family of 4 (hubby in engineering trades)

Lived in a 2 1/2 bed wartime semi on a 200sqm plot next to a grotty
council estate in a grotty little town in the midlands that we sold for
£92K

We drove a D reg citroen that was falling apart. My hubby drove a
motorbike which we would have had to sell if we had stayed because we
couldn't afford the loan.

We had no savings and holidayed with relatives charity.

IN NZ WE ARE:-
A 1 income family of 4 (hubby in engineering trades)

Live in a 4 bed brand new 200sqm house on a 600sqm plot with rural
views on the best part of town in a little town north of Christchurch.
That we bought for about £72K.

We drive an 8yr old V6 pajero bought from main dealer with 12mth
warranty Hubby bought the bike with him and paid off the loan.

We have a small amount of savings and hope to buy some camping
equip and explore NZ.

I ran a tight budget in the UK and also plan to do so here. Money left over each week is not much different than the UK, but it goes a bit further. Our favourite is a family night out is a night at the speedway which you can do for about £10 with snacks.
I look forward to the time soon when my youngest starts full time school and I will be able to get back to the workforce and earn a little, even if it only part-time. This will make a bigger impact on our financial status that it would have done in the UK.

As far as we are concerned we are better off in NZ but it may not be the same for everyone.

Paula

Last edited by Watt Dabney; Jan 15th 2003 at 6:18 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2003, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What about NZ?

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
As far as we are concerned we are better off in NZ but it may not be the same for everyone.

Paula
Thanks for the summary, Paula. It sounds like you've done well, and that others can, too.

It's not all about money, of course, but it's nice to know that one's standard of living will not go down as the quality goes up.