Reload this Page >

What about Melourne?

What about Melourne?

Old Jan 16th 2003, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Goose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What about Melourne?

Hello all,

Have read a lot of the postings and most seem to about Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide. Are there any contributors who live in (or have lived in) Melbourne and who can shed some light on living in the city that, with Vancouver, was recently voted as being world's most liveable (2002)?
Old Jan 16th 2003, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What about Melourne?

Originally posted by Goose
Hello all,

Have read a lot of the postings and most seem to about Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide. Are there any contributors who live in (or have lived in) Melbourne and who can shed some light on living in the city that, with Vancouver, was recently voted as being world's most liveable (2002)?

I’ve posted elsewhere in the newsgroup about my experience of living and working in Melbourne only to have my opinions trashed by the negative minority that haunt this newsgroup.

I think Melbourne is a great city. Having lived in other major cities of the world, London, Munich, I would also rate it as the most liveable one that I’ve lived in. It has all the benefits of a city like London, i.e. lots to do and see together with (and this is where I got shot down last time) friendly folk and a great and inexpensive transport system. There is still room to move, wide streets to walk down and it doesn’t have the claustrophobic feel (for me) of Sydney. You read lots of rubbish about Melbourne being too conservative in outlook. I’ve not found this so, I am unconventional looking , being over 50% tattooed and usually wearing a Mohawk, but I have had more hassle in London from folk about the way I look that at any time in Melbourne. My partner and I have made more good friends in Melbourne in the short time we have been there than in many years of living and working in London. I’m currently back in the UK working on a contract and counting the days to my return back to Melbourne in mid March.

Just my 2$ worth,

Joe
Old Jan 16th 2003, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Joe, I didn't come across your postings regarding Melbourne but then I have only read those postings going back a month or so. I appreciate your comments.

My wife and I have recently arrived and are trying to decide which city will appeal most to us. We have spent the last 6 months touring around Europe and England in a campervan and are battling (in general) to adjust to having to now put down roots. We adored France and particularly Italy and think that Melbourne might offer more of a cosmopolitan appeal than Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and (perhaps even) Sydney.

Are there suburbs in Melbourne where one can rent/buy affordably and still have reasonable access to the inner-city attractions. Is it really so flat? How far are the Dandenongs from the city? Is it worth looking up that way? Are there other areas in and around Melbourne that you would recommend?

Thanks for the reply.

Goose
Old Jan 16th 2003, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

The Dandenongs are 40km from the Melbourne CBD or about 40 mins in the car off-peak probably about 90mins in rush hour.

Western and Northern suburbs are still very affordable, you have to go out a lot further east before it becomes cheaper.

I have never thought of Melbourne as particularly flat, but I grew up around the Glen Waverley/Wheelers Hill area and I think the Western and Northern parts of Melbourne are a lot flatter that these areas.
Old Jan 16th 2003, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Joe, I didn't come across your postings regarding Melbourne but then I have only read those postings going back a month or so. I appreciate your comments.

My wife and I have recently arrived and are trying to decide which city will appeal most to us. We have spent the last 6 months touring around Europe and England in a campervan and are battling (in general) to adjust to having to now put down roots. We adored France and particularly Italy and think that Melbourne might offer more of a cosmopolitan appeal than Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and (perhaps even) Sydney.

Are there suburbs in Melbourne where one can rent/buy affordably and still have reasonable access to the inner-city attractions. Is it really so flat? How far are the Dandenongs from the city? Is it worth looking up that way? Are there other areas in and around Melbourne that you would recommend?

Thanks for the reply.

Goose

Goose,
Being city and country lovers ourselves, we live within a short walk of the CBD, the arts centres of Southbank and the Botanical Gardens. In comparison to our place in London (SE1), the place we have in Melbourne is far superior, we live in a modern apartment building with communal pool, gym, tennis courts, two double bedrooms with walk in robes, separate laundry room etc….all the little things that are not commonplace in apartments in London at the same sort of price. I used to rent a place in London E1 again a short walk from the CBD but on the ‘wrong’ side of the city and that used to cost me 450 UK pounds a week, it had a gym, but no pool etc etc. and really small rooms, high specification but cramped. In comparison an Apartment similar to ours in Melbourne would rent for 400 Aus Dollars a week and cost 350,000$ On the whole with property in Melbourne I would equate pound for dollar but you seem to get much more space and extras for your money in Melbourne.

I’m no expert on the suburbs around Melbourne but a common complaint about them is that they go on for miles and miles. A lot of the advertisements you see for houses in the suburbs suggests that you can get a good sized house for what we have paid for an Apartment in the city. I think its possible to get a good sized house (house with rooms like rumpus room, family room, formal sitting room .. etc as the advertising puts it) , close to commuting facilities for around 450$ but as this hasn’t been our focus I cant really offer you concrete info.

As for being flat.. hmm.. well the central bit is quite flat and all round the edges of the bay, but it soon turns into hills – the fact that you can walk around the city without having the climbing ability of a mountain goat is one of its attractions for me. I’d say you need to allow an hour by car to get from the city through the suburbs before you reach nice open country, though getting to the bay side for the beach is not much more than 20 minutes on a Tram from the CBD

If you have a look at the accommodation pages of ‘The Age’ newspaper online, you might get a better feel for what’s available to rent / buy and at what costs.
The Age is at
http://www.theage.com.au
with the accommodation bit being at http://www.domain.com.au

another good link to give you a view of the city from the top of one of the high buildings is
http://webcam.omni.net.au/ especially the panorama.

Hope this helps in some way.
Joe
Old Jan 16th 2003, 11:03 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Goose,

We only arrived in Melbourne late September, therefore I certainly wouldn't call my self an expert on Melbourne, or Australia. Coinidentally, I have also lived in both London and Munich.

We live in a town called Glen Waverley, in the Eastern suburbs. It's about 20km from the CBD, about 35 minutes commute by train. It's quite a big town - 3 shopping centres, and about 15-20 bus routes stop at the station. There's also a fantastic amount of restaurants, especially if you like Asian cuisine. The general facilities are pretty good as well. A rough price for a 3 bedroom house would be $350-400k.

The only downsides that I've come across in GW so far are :
1. There's a bit of a shortage of Kindy/Primary school places. I've heard that this may just be down to fluctuations in the babies-being-born-per-year graph, but it may be related to my next point.
2, Glen Waverley is getting denser. The larger plots of land are being being bought up, and where there used to be one house, now you have 2-4 new houses built on the same land. So the population goes up...

If I look between the two houses across the street from me, I can see the Dandenongs ! I'm not sure exactly how far they are from the CBD, but probably 35-40km. You could do a commute from Belgrave (which is in the foothills of the Dandenongs) to the CBD in about an hour. You don't have to go quite so far to get affordable housing, but the closer you get to a railway line, the greater the house price (no surprise there). Don't get me wrong, the Dandenongs are great, but they ain't the alps.

Melbourne is fairly flat, but nothing at all like Munich. In fact we live at the top of a bloody great hill.

I'm sorry I can't give much info about other Melbourne suburbs, but as I said, we've not been here long. From people I've spoken to, the western suburbs aren't that highly thought of, and the recommendations I received from various people were all in the NE, East & SE.

Maybe you could post a few of your other 'requirements' regarding what kind of place you want to live ? Budget, apartment/house, whether schools are an issue etc ? Good luck whatever you decide.

Cheers,
Paul.

Thanks for the reply.

Goose
Old Jan 16th 2003, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Inked
I’ve posted elsewhere in the newsgroup about my experience of living and working in Melbourne only to have my opinions trashed by the negative minority that haunt this newsgroup.

I think Melbourne is a great city. Having lived in other major cities of the world, London, Munich, I would also rate it as the most liveable one that I’ve lived in. It has all the benefits of a city like London, i.e. lots to do and see together with (and this is where I got shot down last time) friendly folk and a great and inexpensive transport system. There is still room to move, wide streets to walk down and it doesn’t have the claustrophobic feel (for me) of Sydney. You read lots of rubbish about Melbourne being too conservative in outlook. I’ve not found this so, I am unconventional looking , being over 50% tattooed and usually wearing a Mohawk, but I have had more hassle in London from folk about the way I look that at any time in Melbourne. My partner and I have made more good friends in Melbourne in the short time we have been there than in many years of living and working in London. I’m currently back in the UK working on a contract and counting the days to my return back to Melbourne in mid March.

Just my 2$ worth,

Joe
Hi There!

I totally agree with Inked, for its worth! I think Melbourne is a fantastic place to live! I was there this time last year for a holiday, and now i'll be living there permenantly in 2 weeks, 2 days, 12 hours and 47 mins, 23 seconds!!! cant bloody well wait!!

Good luck to all those still waiting, and for those interested, i'll keep you posted with how we get settled!

Cheers!

Old Jan 16th 2003, 4:00 pm
Melbourne here we come..

madmorgans is an unknown quantity at this point

Not that your counting eh Kaff........

Is the house packed up yet? or are you living in chaos!

We are in the process of organising the removal men....
Ahhh we have quotes coming out of our ears! can you recommend
anyone?

We too are heading for Melbourne (view bank Rosanna and surrounding areas) - such a fantastic place and soo friendly.

Where are you settling Kaff have you any ideas?

Keep in touch..

Good luck for 2 weeks....

Love simone, phil & Erin x
Old Jan 16th 2003, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by madmorgans
Not that your counting eh Kaff........

Is the house packed up yet? or are you living in chaos!

We are in the process of organising the removal men....
Ahhh we have quotes coming out of our ears! can you recommend
anyone?

We too are heading for Melbourne (view bank Rosanna and surrounding areas) - such a fantastic place and soo friendly.

Where are you settling Kaff have you any ideas?

Keep in touch..

Good luck for 2 weeks....

Love simone, phil & Erin x

Hi Simone and Mm's

Yes you guessed it! we're living in total chaos!!:scared but hey! not long to go now, and it will have all been worth it!!

As I keep telling myself in moments of despair, [like Del boy to Rodney
"This time next year we'll be Millionaires!" instead its, "This time next month, i'll be lying on the beach!! aaahhhhh! cant wait!

We have rented a place in Brighton, 5 mins walk from Middle Brighton beach. we have sorted it all out via the net, and with the help of family and friends out in Melbourne.

We are packing ourselves and have a friend in shipping/removals doing the other stuff, and have arranged with him to deal with the customs and Quarentine etc at Mel and the delivery to our new home. we will unload ourselves at the new house, and are going to take a gamble with not bothering with insurance! all in all, we will save a fortune, compared with getting in one of the pro removal companies, as a lot of their charges are a 'rip off' so we have been reliably informed!

If all goes well!, i'll post all the details of the companies involved, but if you dont hear from us on the 'other side' then assume the ship sunk with all our stuff onboard! and we are busy working hard to replace it all!!

Good luck for your move! when are you going? do you have any rellies or friends out there to help you?

Cheers

:
Old Jan 20th 2003, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Shiralee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Hi Goose, we lived in Melbourne for nine years and found it to be vibrant, cultural and, in my opinion, the most civilised city in Australia. If you enjoyed Italy and France (two countries I love) then avoid Perth, Brisbane, Darwin and Adelaide (we are currently living in Perth and hate it!). Sydney is lovely but fast-paced and over-priced.
We lived in the Northern suburbs around Eltham and Research which are generally "alternative/arty" type areas. They are hilly and green but the drawback is that you're 40min+ from the beach/CBD. Inner-city Melbourne is quite pricey but there are some great areas if you like something different - St Kilda/Elwood (both by beach), Fitzroy, Carlton, Richmond, Prahran and Brunswick are all great suburbs close to the city-centre but each with a different flavour to them.
We have travelled a fair bit around Oz and would recommend Melbourne to anyone coming here, we made some great friends there and generally had ourselves a ball enjoying the eating/nightlife/shopping and cosmopolitan atmosphere.
Good Luck with your decision.
Old Jan 20th 2003, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Shiralee, hope you overcome the Perth blues!
Old Jan 20th 2003, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Sorry Shiralee, as you will have noticed from a posting of mine on another forum I referred to you as the "lady moving back to Scotland". After weeks of soul searching and self doubt I stumbled upon these forums and read Dotty's, pommiesheila's, Herman's, captaincook's, PB's and others' postings with interest. Your posting was simply the purest and most thought provoking posting I'd read and gave me so much to think about. I'll not deny that the I had blurred vision as I digested it.

We've visited Scotland a few times (my surname is as Scottish as one can get), but it has always been during winter. Perhaps this year we'll get to experience it during summer.

Thank you, and all the very best of luck in beautiful Scotland.

Goose