Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What about the future ?

What about the future ?

Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:10 am
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice
Default What about the future ?

Well I'm still checking in, having a good laugh at the continued verbal warfare. It makes for light entertainment and brings a certain reality back to hopes and dreams. Mind you, can't be doing much for those just starting out - they must wonder what the hell they're letting themselves in for.

Still, there's one thing that ain't stopping us heading down under, or at least giving it a fair go, and that's THE FUTURE. Forget dreams of better homes, better jobs, better standards of living...that's what the West is all about anyway - be it the UK, US or Oz. You can bicker all you like about who's better who's best, to us it doesn't matter. By heading down under you're exchanging one set of western circumstances for another..although maybe with a bit of added sun.

The underlying push for us has to be this...fed up of Carol Smilie ? Fed up of Jamie Oliver ? After decorating and cooking, anyone else noticed the latest TV and media trend...EMIGRATION ? Yup, we've had two letters from TV companies, there's been a week long special in the Daily Rant..er..Mail, C4 are hyping No Going Back. Even the broad sheets are cottoning on. Can't you feel it ? Business associates, friends, family around us, so many we've talked to and read about are upping sticks and leaving - France and Spain are top of the pops, and Oz seems increasingly popular. This tells me (at least) something - the CONFIDENCE of our nation is rocked. The smart ones are leaving, considering it seriously, or day dreaming about it. So - if you're doing it, you're ahead of the game. Look what happened when the confidence left Argentina.

There's no need to knock the UK any longer, we have so much compared to many others. And it's a beautiful place...for 10 or maybe 12 days a year. But you've seen the internet jokes - England today is dogged by an underlying negativity, a feeling of what WAS and not what could be - we're a nation of defeatists at this time. Oz is still finding it's feet - yes it might be behind in some ways, yes there's just as much wrong with many aspects of life..BUT it's a nation that's still finding it's way, and sooner or later they'll start believing their own hype - it's no bad thing.

I'd like to hear what expats coming home and Ozzies coming to the UK are thinking of and hoping for. Think i've got the gist of your feelings PB, but keep it coming by all means.
Old Jan 29th 2003, 12:43 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said Nixstuff

We've lived and worked in various places around the world and the one thing that strikes us overwhelmingly is the negativity here in the UK. Do you think it's anything to do with us being a nation of forelock tuggers in the past?

Approx 80% of our friends and family are now showing interest in emigrating to Oz and everyone is citing the same reasons.

Surely the length of time we are having to wait for visa's shows that there are quite a few people jumping ship.

Steph
Old Jan 29th 2003, 3:05 pm
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice

Steph

I’m not trying to launch another UK bashing session really, and of course not everyone’s jaded and sour. It’s just seems that there’s a quite subtle yet very real sense of resigned failure around. It’s like a collective, sympathetic, and also fond sigh of sadness being breathed around the country. To us it feels like an ‘ah well, do you remember when England used to be so, you know..?’ (‘Before the dark times, before the empire !!’ - just kidding, although there is a frightening irony in there somewhere..!). We’re a nation reminiscing, before moving off to our new lives, looking back with a tearful eye.

More obviously though, the point I was trying to make was that I’m sure the media have gotten hold of the whole emigration thing, the latest flavour of the month. Which is kind of alarming - it must be happening. Or if it’s just a media fad, well where there’s a trend identified it may become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Whilst there’s always been migration, if you consider right now who is leaving the UK and why, it may be wise to be ahead of the game.There’s a lot of influencial, successful, young, old, and everyday joe bloggs folks going to Europe and beyond, and we really don’t know what the UK might have left to offer. The weather ? The wide open space ? The positive attitude ? Or just happy childhood memories ?
Old Jan 29th 2003, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What about the future ?

Originally posted by nixstuff
Well I'm still checking in, having a good laugh at the continued verbal warfare. It makes for light entertainment and brings a certain reality back to hopes and dreams. Mind you, can't be doing much for those just starting out - they must wonder what the hell they're letting themselves in for.

Still, there's one thing that ain't stopping us heading down under, or at least giving it a fair go, and that's THE FUTURE. Forget dreams of better homes, better jobs, better standards of living...that's what the West is all about anyway - be it the UK, US or Oz. You can bicker all you like about who's better who's best, to us it doesn't matter. By heading down under you're exchanging one set of western circumstances for another..although maybe with a bit of added sun.

The underlying push for us has to be this...fed up of Carol Smilie ? Fed up of Jamie Oliver ? After decorating and cooking, anyone else noticed the latest TV and media trend...EMIGRATION ? Yup, we've had two letters from TV companies, there's been a week long special in the Daily Rant..er..Mail, C4 are hyping No Going Back. Even the broad sheets are cottoning on. Can't you feel it ? Business associates, friends, family around us, so many we've talked to and read about are upping sticks and leaving - France and Spain are top of the pops, and Oz seems increasingly popular. This tells me (at least) something - the CONFIDENCE of our nation is rocked. The smart ones are leaving, considering it seriously, or day dreaming about it. So - if you're doing it, you're ahead of the game. Look what happened when the confidence left Argentina.

There's no need to knock the UK any longer, we have so much compared to many others. And it's a beautiful place...for 10 or maybe 12 days a year. But you've seen the internet jokes - England today is dogged by an underlying negativity, a feeling of what WAS and not what could be - we're a nation of defeatists at this time. Oz is still finding it's feet - yes it might be behind in some ways, yes there's just as much wrong with many aspects of life..BUT it's a nation that's still finding it's way, and sooner or later they'll start believing their own hype - it's no bad thing.

I'd like to hear what expats coming home and Ozzies coming to the UK are thinking of and hoping for. Think i've got the gist of your feelings PB, but keep it coming by all means.

Thanks Nixstuff! Your note really helped me feel better. I've become a bit of an insomniac since arriving with my young family in Perth 7 months ago - it's now 12.30 am! I do worry about this huge move we've made. Asking myself the usual questions - What am I doing here? Have I made the right decision? Is this move really best for my children?

Your posting reminded me (time fades the memory!) that the UK is becoming increasingly negative, life isn't perfect here but I really admire the Australian's positive view on life. The celebrations here on Australia day made me feel so emotional, the fireworks, the Aussie flags, a sense of 'being proud to be Australian'.

You are right the confidence of the UK is rocked, I feel sad because I still feel British, in my heart. BUT also in my heart I want to give my children the best opportunities, so they have choices and a chance of a 'positive' future.

Anyway must try and get some sleep Thanks again - good luck.
Old Jan 29th 2003, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Don't think that its all fun and games in other places. We left the UK thinking how negative it was and how there was nothing left of any appeal and decided to try Canada. Even here though, the grass always appears to be greener on the other side and many people here are trying to go to America. Wherver you are there will always be those who are unhappy with their lot!!!

On a note about the UK, I miss it and if only it was a bit cheaper and the weather returned to being true seasons I think it is would be one of the best countries in the world. I really think the weather puts a dampener on peoples spirits and maybe this is why people have become more negative?
Old Jan 29th 2003, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I've lived in the UK for 10 years now and what really hit me when I first arrived was how so many people were so negative about other people's good fortune and I heard so many people slagging other people off just because they'd worked hard enough to be able to buy a nice car, nice house, have a nice expensive holiday etc etc.

I think I'm used to it now as I don't really hear it any more but it was really obvious when I first got here.

I'm not saying that there wasn't any jealousy or envy in Australia but in my circle of friends and associates people seemed to applaud and look up to those who had made it by hard work and determination.

I've enjoyed living in the UK, made lots of fantastic friends and I've enjoyed the culture of England, but I'm ready to go back to Australia now to bring up my 4 year old daughter over there as I feel that there is so much more to offer children in Australia, and I definitely believe that the weather has alot to do with this. My daughter hasn't been outside to play since well before Christmas as the garden is just a soggy mess from all the rain and snow and even though there is a park locally, it too is a soggy mess!!

I took my daughter back to Australia last year for a 3 week holiday and I saw a drastic change in her in those 3 weeks. She just wanted to play outside all the time and I had to drag her inside to go to bed most nights. She even used to eat her meals on the back verandah!!

We're off again next Friday for another 3 week holiday and to start to get things rolling with regards to housing and schooling before we move back, so hopefully it will be a productive visit.
Old Jan 29th 2003, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Well summed up.
People go a bit green with envy when you tell them of your plans. Mind you it is quite a brave thing to do, move your whole family to the other side of the world. If you don't have children, or have family out there then it isn't as bad. It is much scarier uprooting everyone to go out and live on your own!

I have no doubts though that we will be doing the right thing.
Even the Independent today had an article on emmigrating to Oz - very positive and glowing with praise.

It can't come soon enough for us and we are well - off, happy and doing well over here. The negativity and weak prospects are getting us down.

Some of our friends may well think we are mad to give up what we have, however I think they are mad to want to stay here!
Old Jan 29th 2003, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by tinaj
If you don't have children, or have family out there then it isn't as bad. It is much scarier uprooting everyone to go out and live on your own!
I agree that it is much easier if you already have family there. We will probably stay with my parents when we first move and I think this takes alot of pressure off having to find accommodation before you get there. Also means that I can leave my daughter with my mum if we have to.

I lived in Australia for 20 years before I came over here, so have a huge collection of friends in various states (having lived in Melbourne, Qld and Canberra) so we will already have a social life when we get there (which I think makes it even easier to merge back into Australian life!!)

My daughter also has a large circle of cousins living within 5 km of my parents so I know she'll have lots of friends to play with (she met them all last year when we visited)
Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:43 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

As a European couple returning to the UK (I'm British, my wife is Czech) our thoughts and hopes for the future are:
To be able to have a child or maybe two, starting next year and to be able to raise those children in an good semi rural area with great schools. The area I am from fits this bill, with the free primarly schools within a few miles of each other ranking 1st, 2nd and 3rd out of 77 primary schools in South Glos, which itself is an above average county.
For our children to be able to spend plenty of time with our families, and particularly for them to have close relationships with their grandparents as both my wife and I did with ours.
For me to be able to earn enough money that we can afford to have 2 homes, one 4 bedroom in England and a 4 bedroom holiday chalet in the beautiful countryside/forest land of the Czech Republic.
To earn enough money that we can afford the flights to the Czech Republic once a month, or more often if we choose, to spend a long weekend at the holiday home so that my wifes parents can spend quality time with her and their grandchildren.
To be able to afford a decent summer holiday each year in an intersting location and to be able to go skiing for a week in January each year.
To live in a village where everyone knows us and where our children can grow up alongside those of my lifelong friends.
To put aside anough pension contributions that we can retire at 55, possibly overseas (France, Spain or the Czech Republic). I concede that later in life we dont see ourselves in Britain, but whilst we are of prime working age and about to raise kids we definitely see it as the place for us.

All of these things are realistic and possible for us in England as I earn fantastic money there as a chartered accountant. We only left England 2 years ago and have had a great time in Sydney, but it just does'nt accord with our long term life plans. The greatest gift living here has given us is an appreciation of what we had and will have in the UK.

PS. The alternative, if we opted to stay, is a future living in a very average house in outer Sydney suburbia (as accountants earn bugger all here), constantly having to make new friends because even the good friends we have made here all have plans to leave (people are very transient here), being able to visit our families once a year at a real financial struggle, having a European holiday once every few years at best, having our kid(s) educated in poor Australian state schools and them not knowing their grandparents (particularly on my wife's side), earning Aussie dollars, and not too many of those, so that we have to work until we are 65 and would probably not be able to afford to retire anywhere but rural Australia.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 1:05 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

You far to bright for some on this forum , everyone makes a case to stay or go and we all dream of better , but if Australia the best country on the planet the worlds in a poor state .
Most on here are runing away from there own failures , Australia will want more out of them its country where the more skills you have the better chance you have of making a living no easy rides here.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 30th 2003 at 1:55 am.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 1:12 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kath

Your posting reminded me (time fades the memory!) that the UK is becoming increasingly negative, life isn't perfect here but I really admire the Australian's positive view on life. The celebrations here on Australia day made me feel so emotional, the fireworks, the Aussie flags, a sense of 'being proud to be Australian'.

You are right the confidence of the UK is rocked, I feel sad because I still feel British, in my heart. BUT also in my heart I want to give my children the best opportunities, so they have choices and a chance of a 'positive' future.

Anyway must try and get some sleep Thanks again - good luck.
Pass the bucket , one you are a Pom and the Aussies love you believe me , the Australia day bull amounted to lets get pissed and shout shite at the top of our voices and let off a few fire works , what is an Australian who knows and who cares.
The only Australians who make it get out of here as quick as they can pack their suitcases , where did that young Kylie go London?
The Aussies whinge and moan about everything the only thing they agree on is they dislike Poms.
If you want to give your kids a chance get them out of Australia , have you seen the education standards here , 8000 kids a year leave school at 15 with no hope and no chance.
Youth unemployment here runs at 26% one of the highest figures in the developed world , on top of that youth sucide is well up on the rest to.

MORE students are dropping out of school than ever before, heading for a life in an unskilled, chronically poor underclass, a new report has warned.

The Business Council of Australia study, released yesterday, found that each year in the next decade an additional 8000 young Australians will leave school early without any significant prospect of ever finding full-time work.

They face a lifetime of chronic poverty and poor living standards, and will cost the economy nearly $2 billion by the year 2020.

We urgently need a more concerted response to this problem," she said. "Many people would find the prospect of an underclass at odds with a fair Australia."

The number of unskilled or low-skilled jobs in the modern workforce is continuing to fall, making education more important than ever. However, 85,000 students, one-third of all school leavers, leave before completing Year 12.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 30th 2003 at 1:40 am.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 1:48 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

My view is that people are planning these moves because:

a) as you said its fashionable and the rare successes are all over the TV/newspapers (I say rare because that is the simple truth - most emigrants return)
b) the pound is strong giving us good purchasing power overseas
c) house prices are at a peak, which combined with b) and the general wealth of people, mean that average folk can cash up and live abroad with much smaller mortgages
d) the national psyche is being dragged down by doom and gloom journalists
e) jobs are abundant so people feel they can always come back with little trouble finding decent paid work
f) the British are very mis-informed about the standard of living in other countries, again due to the press and our holiday vision glasses we wear for the 2 weeks of the year we visit places
g) congestion is so bad in many areas, especially the south east, that people are inevitably depressed.

Yep, life in the UK has many bad points, especially in the crowded areas. Emigrating may remove people from these bad points, but it throws up a fresh set of challenges!
Old Jan 30th 2003, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

JustArrived is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I've lived in several countries since leaving the UK a few years ago. Without exception they've all been better than the UK. Going back there for a holiday was just depressing. No wonder people want to leave.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 5:13 am
Banned

Originally posted by JustArrived
Hi,

I've lived in several countries since leaving the UK a few years ago. Without exception they've all been better than the UK. Going back there for a holiday was just depressing. No wonder people want to leave.
Yes they all want to come to Perth home from home , never met so many despressing people in my life or people on depressants, we went back to the UK on holiday and last place we wanted to come back to was WA.
You have been here 5 months give it time your wage will kick in and the place seem very small and limited.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

JustArrived is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe, but I think it depends on what you want in life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.