Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what? 6 months and still no ute!!!?

what? 6 months and still no ute!!!?

Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:16 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default what? 6 months and still no ute!!!?

Hi all you lot who know me. Well I just wanted to say I’ve been here in Canberra 6 months now!! I can’t believe I’ve been here that long, I still feel like I’m on holiday.

I had this list of things I wanted to have achieved by the time my 6 month review had come up. well to cut a long story short I threw the list away a long time ago as up to now the only thing I haven’t fully achieved is winning the lottery but that was always a long shot.

I arrived in one piece, bought a new beemer, found work (even if it’s not permanent) and met m’sheila! funny thing is she’s not called sheila, I think that was where I was going wrong. Anyway we met in January and everything is going VERY well, and she even has a UK passport and wants to learn to ride a bike! (where has she been all my life!!)

I haven’t bought a ‘ute yet but I’m thinking about it. I think I might do the ute thing when I’ve been here 12 months, along with a big house in the country to do big donuts on the front lawn…. hmm hang on I could just do those in the street like everyone else does couldn’t i?

Anyway, Canberra is everything I wanted it to be and as a biker it was everything I could have hoped for. 10 mins for some serious biking roads and not much further from the mountains either. I haven’t been killed by any mad roos yet, even though everyone was telling me I would. I haven’t been eaten alive by a 6 foot tall huntsman, actually I’ve only seen 2 and one of those was in the zoo in Sydney. I haven’t woken up to find a snake sucking on my neck yet. although I got in to bed not so long ago and felt something long, leathery and snake-like under the sheets...... stop laughing on the back row.... It turned out to be an old leather belt I use with my bike gear but it made me wonder what it was for a few seconds.

My parents came out last week for the official visit which me and m’sheila passed so I shipped them off to Sydney for a week of peace and quiet…. It’s unfortunate they come back on Wednesday though. They did bring me 3 big bags of KP salt’n’Vinegar peanuts in their cases which was a big relief, I was starting to get desperate for a few weeks there, i might have had to revert back to plain salted nuts.

I have everything to look forward to, a new job starting in august for 12 months. A lovely lass who thinks I’m pretty fab and a big fat ugly bike to ride around on..... (yeah i did get that the right way round!). Life couldn’t be better right now.

So you could say I’m surviving! no complaints, no worries, and put me a roo on the barbie and all that.

Sorry for not keeping in touch with you folk.

Take care and good luck to all you guys still on square 1, it’s not a hard game so don’t worry, you’ll get here soon enough!

Be good!

Leigh

PS when there's enough ACT folks in the area we'll organise the first office ACT expats meetup! Well at least one with more than just me this time.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: what? 6 months and still no ute!!!?

Hi scutter.........glad to hear its all going well for you!!!

AND you have got yourself a sheila................
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

G'day Bruce! Glad your doing good mate, was wondering how you were fairing. So are you staying put for a bit now you have the love of a good woman
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:37 am
Wahroonga Boy

Wahroonga Boy will become famous soon enough

Funny enough I picked my ute up today. And it's a beaut Holden Rodeo 1995. 2.4 litre dual cab. Brill
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:49 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear everything is going as you would like it Scutter....long may it last.

Hope you got a discount for taking a non-Sheila
Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:18 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: what? 6 months and still no ute!!!?

Got yersen a sheila, eh? Good onya, I say!

Good to hear from you Leigh. Keep up the good news!

For you -

Chris

Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:47 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

aye it looks like i'll be staying put for a while now m'sheila's come along. She's looking for a ute so i'll at least get to ride around in one and look like i'm part of the ute set.

cheers guys! I'll try my hardest to look after her and keep her happy.

Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:00 pm
Merlot

What a lovely story.

Good luck to you and the Sheila!!!

M

Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:24 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

So you ARE still alive then!!

was begining to wonder............
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:50 pm
life begins again...

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
So you ARE still alive then!!

was begining to wonder............
lol... yeah! but you knew where i was hiding so you can't complain..

miss ya on msn though!!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:51 pm
life begins again...

Originally Posted by Merlot
What a lovely story.

Good luck to you and the Sheila!!!

M

cheers for that!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:09 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

We're doing the opposite. Leaving for Oz in 3 weeks time and getting rid of the ute here! People always look at us oddly when we turn up for weddings and the like in it.

As a sheila m'self, I have trouble parking it!! Can't see its back end so shan't miss it one bit. Saying that, trying to parallel park in a thin victorian housed street is not a problem you face in Australia, so maybe I should rethink.

The dog will miss it most I think.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhhhhhhhhh....bless!!! How sweet is that story???

I have a few invoices for "services rendered" that I need to forward on to you at some stage now that it seems you are doing so well for yourself and all.... Oh and by the way......Told ya so!!!

Glad to hear things are still going well. Hopefully will have the lappy up and running again sometime soon. Miss our chats....

~hugs 'n' stuff~

Hels
xxx
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scutter, great to hear you're enjoying yerself, maybe keep quiet about us lot for a while longer; she might not understand
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 10:11 pm
life begins again...

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi Scutter, great to hear you're enjoying yerself, maybe keep quiet about us lot for a while longer; she might not understand
hehe yeah i thought that, i haven't mentioned my dark mirky past as an ExpatsForum member yet,.... i didn't want to risk loosing her. hehe. I'm sure she'd understand though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.