British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What 10 Things should you know before you move! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-10-things-should-you-know-before-you-move-796428/)

stuckinblighty May 11th 2013 10:04 am

Re: What 10 Things should you know before you move!

My top ten for what its worth

1 - every ones experiences are different
2 - what i say wont apply to you so its irrelevant me telling you anything
3 - don't take anything as gospel in here as its only opinion
4 - one mans food is another mans poison and all that
5 - takes some people no time at all to settle others never settle...take yer pick
6 - cost of living costs money...just depends on who you talk to
7 - Some peeps like the beach,some don't and the water can be cold but there again it can be quite warm
8 - the shops suck and quality is crap unless you ask a shopper who enjoys shopping when they will say they love it
9 - The workplace is donkeys years behind but some people love it mind you some people don't
10 - Its really laid back here ...... occasionally

In other words its mostly bollocks and only opinion....a million persons with a million stories

Hope thats helped

Lee :fingerscrossed:

carolinephillips May 11th 2013 11:08 am

:rofl::rofl:

Seriously though....

1. There are, contrary to what people may tell you, no drop bears.
2. The medical/health care scheme is very good - if you can afford to pay, but frighteningly expensive, especially dental work.
3. You need permits for almost everything.
4. Public transport, however much people moan here, is much better than London - well at least in Sydney.
5. Chocolate tastes funny because they put stuff in it to stop it melting, and it takes about a year to get used to it.
6. When the lights go amber, don't slam on the brakes to stop, as everyone else is accelerating to get through before they go red.
7. Rentals are also frighteningly expensive and in Sydney, not easy to get as a newcomer. Be prepared to be told you are fussy if you ask for things like a leaky roof or non-shutting windows to be fixed.
8. There is an incredible sense of "mateship" - if you need help you can usually get it.
9. Giving to charity is the norm here. People actually stop their cars to donate to the Salvos roadside collectors.
10. The best time to shop is before 9am on a Saturday, as the only Aussies who are up are the ones mowing their lawns, doing DIY, or the early morning sports run with the kids. As long as you don't mind half- stocked shelves and whacking great store trolleys blocking every aisle, that is.

Alright, it was only half seriously......I lied about the drop bears. Take an umbrella to scare them off.

paddyo May 11th 2013 11:40 am

In line

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 10703357)
:rofl::rofl:

Seriously though....

1. There are, contrary to what people may tell you, no drop bears.
2. The medical/health care scheme is very good - if you can afford to pay, but frighteningly expensive, especially dental work. I kinda agree...its takes a while getting used to but even the basic Medicare is pretty good
3. You need permits for almost everything.Jeez yeah...Big Brother is a mere slightly annoying cousin compared to the Nanny State here
4. Public transport, however much people moan here, is much better than London - well at least in Sydney.I disagree...its cheaper certainly, but better? No way!
5. Chocolate tastes funny because they put stuff in it to stop it melting, and it takes about a year to get used to it.
6. When the lights go amber, don't slam on the brakes to stop, as everyone else is accelerating to get through before they go red. That is SO right! :)
7. Rentals are also frighteningly expensive and in Sydney, not easy to get as a newcomer. Be prepared to be told you are fussy if you ask for things like a leaky roof or non-shutting windows to be fixed.
8. There is an incredible sense of "mateship" - if you need help you can usually get it. I find this 'mateship' rather disingenuous, the offers are there but the actual events are far between
9. Giving to charity is the norm here. People actually stop their cars to donate to the Salvos roadside collectors.
10. The best time to shop is before 9am on a Saturday, as the only Aussies who are up are the ones mowing their lawns, doing DIY, or the early morning sports run with the kids. As long as you don't mind half- stocked shelves and whacking great store trolleys blocking every aisle, that is.

Alright, it was only half seriously......I lied about the drop bears. Take an umbrella to scare them off.

asher May 11th 2013 6:43 pm

Either ship everything, or ship nothing and buy it all. But whatever you leave behind you will miss!:rofl:

OzTennis May 12th 2013 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Zen10 (Post 10703274)
You don't get that sort of carry-on at the lawn bowls final.

Yep and you don't get it at the footy either. Sadly, it's what some think 'real support' is! i.e. you have to fight the opposition, sing blasphemous songs and hate them. :D

bcworld May 12th 2013 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 10699482)
I spent the year before I left the UK adding to a document called "Read this if you ever doubt why you emigrated". Every time I had to drive round 10 times to find a car park, or got bashed by a trolley in a crowded Tescos, or felt threatened on public transport etc etc, I added it to this document.

If these are reasons to emigrate, swap Coles for Tesco and I better start thinking about leaving!

Buzzy--Bee May 12th 2013 9:58 am

Fortunately in Melbourne, there are far better and cheaper alternatives to the supermarkets......

BB

Tockalosh May 12th 2013 11:13 am

Industrial relations can be like stepping back 30 years. Great if you were a docker or miner in the 70's as you will feel right at home

Take hundreds of photos of your rental when you are accepting it as when handing back our agent tried to hammer us for every little mark that would be considered wear and tear elsewhere in the world

Stop smoking before you arrive, it's hideously expensive

Mental health issues abound and I am surprised you don't have to have it to get a visa. Of course it's nothing to do with years of cannabis abuse

If you are buying a used car,budget for new tyres as you can get a Rwc with pretty much shagged out tyres

The sunny coast is far nicer than the gold coast

The ford territory is shite, an old falcon is much better

New Fords and Holdens are both pretty much crap

Low octane fuel can be shite, use 95

Ozzies aren't generally good at bbq'ing. If you must use gas then try a flat plate style

Before you buy something at BCF, check out big W first

If you intend to go camping, buy a 12v/240v fridge in the Uk at a fraction of the price you will pay in oz

Dont tell anyone you are changing the plugs to Ozzie ones on your electrical kit. Mums will not bring their kids to your house for fear of it spontaneously combusting.

BenandPam May 13th 2013 3:42 am

Get ambulance membership to avoid a nasty bill if something unfortunate were to happen.

BadgeIsBack May 13th 2013 6:23 am

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty (Post 10703319)
1 - every ones experiences are different
2 - what i say wont apply to you so its irrelevant me telling you anything

So true! Over the years I actually find most of the complaints just don't apply. And I would never have discovered them if I wasn't a forum reader..

There are a whole swag of things that might never be an issue:

Industrial relations for example, if you work in an office in a semi-professional/professional capacity then you will never spy a trade union or steward or battler in all the years you'll be in the workforce...if you work in the Melbourne CBD you might even enjoy it!

If you buy a house with plenty of space on the block you may never ever need a permit to build anything...and if you do, just ensure it's not too big.

If you make some good friends you may never need to complain about 'them' or what they do, indeed not even pay any attention where they were born or educated.

If you can count on the people you live and work with as having a bit of spark then you won't have to worry about what they say and do.

Noone has to buy a Ford or Holden - in fact many people don't.
You don't need a MoT outside NSW but you can't buy a car without one (at least in NSW and VIC!) Most people run reliable and well-serviced cars. I know this because the oldest car in Melbourne I spot is mine! (I do run some oil through it every 6 months!)

Someone made the point about councils...you know, they are actually not that bad. You pay a charge, you get stuff for it, you do!

kips May 13th 2013 3:25 pm

[QUOTE=katy1;10698518]Hi everyone,

We are looking to move to Australia in the next 12 months and I would like to know what 10 things we should know. The things that people don't tell you. For example things like.... You need to re take you driving test (I don't know if this is true). All 10 things would be great even if people repeat then I know that it is a major thing to get your head around. Please feel free to write anything!!

Cheers Kx[/QUOTE

Lots of good advice already givens but here is my penny worth.

DO NOT pay full price for anything. Always negotiate and for big ticket items such as TVs, white goods and furniture wait for half yearly sales. If you have kids buy clothes in the next size up at the end of the season when you get great bargains.

For supermarket shopping load up on stuff such as toiletries and detergent when half price which is usually every few weeks. You'll save yourself a fortune.

Christmas is tough if you have no family here. It's the hardest time of the year for me and I dread it because I get very homesick for my family and an English Christmas. After living here for 10 years I still can't get used to temperatures in the high 30s or low 40s on Christmas Day.

KJCherokee May 14th 2013 2:02 am

Originally Posted by verystormy
2 You don’t need an MOT. Which will become obvious the first time you drive down the freeway

This depends on which state you are in. NSW requires an annual inspection on cars over 5 years old, QLD requires an inspection on all vehicles at change of ownership, SA doesn't have any inspection, don't know about the other states/territories.

10 The outback is the dullest place on the planet. Hot, dull and a with a fair few things that want to hurt you

Well, he's entitled to his opinion, but some of my favourite holidays have been spent touring the more remote parts of Australia with a 4wd and a camper trailer

11 If you think politicians in the UK are bad, you haven’t seen anything yet!

If you are entitled to vote then you MUST vote (or at least turn up at a polling station) or risk a fine. And the preferential transferable voting system means that you can't NOT vote for the candidates you despise, only put them at the bottom of your preference list - which means that if they are in one of the major parties they will probably get your vote anyway!

BadgeIsBack May 14th 2013 3:32 am

The outback is sort of dull but I enjoy passing through it on the way to somewhere else...

and actually working out there can be interesting...admittedly o one occasion worked in far (far) country NSW...so beyond the black stump and a long way from the nearest town but perhaps not true outback!
Another occasion I was out in the desert in the middle of WA...that's more like it!

Zen10 May 14th 2013 3:34 am

Originally Posted by KJCherokee (Post 10706832)
And the preferential transferable voting system means that you can't NOT vote for the candidates you despise, only put them at the bottom of your preference list - which means that if they are in one of the major parties they will probably get your vote anyway!

No, but you can totally spoil your ballot paper and not list anyone in any order. Just write "1" in every box, or tick every box, or scribble all over it, etc. Many people write amusing/rude things all over their ballot papers in Australia because they are forced to turn up at the polling station.

chris and farideh May 14th 2013 5:45 am

Really good advice you've been given here, these are what we experience.

1) one of the misinformation you'll hear is that Australia is laid back, which I found it wasn't correct in our experience & all the ones we' ve meet, I found people work harder & for very long hours.

2) most of casual or p/t position aren't like what you mostly know, it's not set, so you get call to do 9-12 one day, next day 2 to 6 & so on.

3) when looking for rentals don't be surprise to see 20 other people being there at the opening time going through the rooms & you only get 15 mins viewing time & find most people sitting on road filling up forms to give to the agent.

4) driving fines are huge here, wish we knew when we first came & park the car to wrong direction of the road.:eek:
Supermarket parking watch for that one too if there is set time to park don't go over it, you get fine.

5) in winter the inside of your house is colder than outside & vice versa for summer, it's cooler outside than inside the house.

6) don't trust everything you see or hear unless you have checked it out yourself, specially rentals.

7) learn to haggle & haggle today I even haggled at the hospital, instead paying $320 for test fees, I paid $240.:thumbsup:

8)Aldi & Ikea aren't such terrible place to visit & shop in fact you get very excited when you get to shop in Aldi cause you save so much money.

9) your teenager get p/t jobs quicker than you do, even when you can do it better.

10) things are very different here & you miss the smallest things from over there & suddenly it becomes huge issue.

Just enjoy the ride & if Australia isn't right for you don't burn all your bridges cause you'll never know.