Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whale festival in Hervey Bay

Whale festival in Hervey Bay

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of
Default Whale festival in Hervey Bay

Well the Whale Festival kicked off full force yesterday in Hervey Bay.
The marina was toppers with people enjoying the entertainment. Then at 5pm all the whale boats came into the harbour one by one and were blessed. Afterwards there was a lovely firework display with lots of ouuuuuuuuuuuuu and arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr`s!!!!!
We had a bit of a do down on our boat and I cant believe how much booze we sank, in fact im sure the bottles had holes in the bottom. Slept onboard and awoke to bright sunshine and a rather large headache!!!
Next weekend it continues with a street procession with around 25 floats. My family and I are in the Animal Refuge float, I drew the short straw and have to be a clown fish!!!!! At least on one will recognise me, and I can go down the pub afterwards!!!!
Oh and I have burnt me back bloody gardening today too!!!

Angela
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:51 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whale festival in Hervey Bay

Originally Posted by Cookster
Well the Whale Festival kicked off full force yesterday in Hervey Bay.
The marina was toppers with people enjoying the entertainment. Then at 5pm all the whale boats came into the harbour one by one and were blessed. Afterwards there was a lovely firework display with lots of ouuuuuuuuuuuuu and arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr`s!!!!!
We had a bit of a do down on our boat and I cant believe how much booze we sank, in fact im sure the bottles had holes in the bottom. Slept onboard and awoke to bright sunshine and a rather large headache!!!
Next weekend it continues with a street procession with around 25 floats. My family and I are in the Animal Refuge float, I drew the short straw and have to be a clown fish!!!!! At least on one will recognise me, and I can go down the pub afterwards!!!!
Oh and I have burnt me back bloody gardening today too!!!

Angela
I was out fishing last year, didn't realise anything was going on until we came back in to cheering & clapping. All the harbour was done out & the boats all trimmed up.
This year I stayed away, I fished out of Poona instead this morning.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

When does the Whale season end we will be there around the first week in october,glad your into the spirit of it all and hope the hangover didn't last to long it may be that we are to late this year so will give us something to look forward to next year, see you all soon.

Nigel.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Morning Nigel.
Whales should still be around in October. We are going out next weekend so hoping to take lots of close up`s.

Angela
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I know the best view will be from a boat, but can you actually see them from shore? I was surprised to find that in Perth there are places you can view them from land, but I suppose their water gets deeper closer to shore.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:53 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
I know the best view will be from a boat, but can you actually see them from shore? I was surprised to find that in Perth there are places you can view them from land, but I suppose their water gets deeper closer to shore.
You can often see them from Double Island Point [Just a bit South of Rainbow Beach]
I've seen them quite close to the Western side of Fraser even as far down in the bay as Big Woody Island. Have a look on Google Earth & you'll get an idea of the terrain.