Reload this Page >

we've written a book on NZ move

we've written a book on NZ move

Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default we've written a book on NZ move

Hi all,
for those of you who can remember we were the family who moved to Tauranga in NZ for the BBC program "Get a New Life". Well we're still here (just about) and we've written a book all about the move out here. It hopefully shows what you go through in the first year of making such a move. We are in the process of getting it published at the moment so it could be a while before it's in the shops. I think the follow up program "we got a new life" airs in the UK in Feb and should give a more balanced view than the first program. It has been a hard move and there have definately been times when we could have packed it all in and gone back to the UK. We are sticking it out though and have survived the first year hopefully 2004 will see us get a little more settled.

paul
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: we've written a book on NZ move

Originally posted by firing1
Hi all,
for those of you who can remember we were the family who moved to Tauranga in NZ for the BBC program "Get a New Life". Well we're still here (just about) and we've written a book all about the move out here. It hopefully shows what you go through in the first year of making such a move. We are in the process of getting it published at the moment so it could be a while before it's in the shops. I think the follow up program "we got a new life" airs in the UK in Feb and should give a more balanced view than the first program. It has been a hard move and there have definately been times when we could have packed it all in and gone back to the UK. We are sticking it out though and have survived the first year hopefully 2004 will see us get a little more settled.

paul
My brother (UK) has just got a book published. Is it true that you only end up with about 10% of the cover price to keep yourself? Sounds really low for all that work.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:40 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

paul
I remember you and watched the programme when we were in the UK, I remember the hard time you got on the forum too. I don't think many members of the forum have learnt too much in that time about heavily criticising people they see on these programmes.

However congratulations on sticking it out and completing your first year. It would be great to hear a little more detail or do we have to wait for the book.

Donna
Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Yes getting a book published is a nightmare and the author doesn't get a lot of money per book sold but it was quite fun writing it and hopefully it will give an insight into what you go through as a family. I haven't been on this site for months as we have been busy setting up a second business - Backbeat rehearsal studios - to run alongside our Car Cleaning business. The Car Care business is doing well and if it grows as well this year then i may take on a second van. The move hasn't been plain sailing though and financially we are still struggling. We have decided to stick it out and come the end of 2004 when we get permanent residence we will make some descisions as to whether or not we will stay in Tauranga. At the moment we can't see ourselves moving back to the UK but permanent residence will give us more options. The weather is great at the moment which helps keep your spirits up except when you are working and it seems like everyone else is at the beach!! We have experinced a bit more of NZ by flying to Christchurch (great place) and taking a drive through the north island to Wellington. The kids are getting on fine and Zoe had her first school report and did very well. Anymore you want to know just ask.

paul
Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:43 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

It is good to hear your car business is doing well, is the other business to do with your wifes aerobics etc? We didn't envy you cleaning all those cars in the heat, but you have obviously worked very hard. You are doing a lot better than others who have posted recently from New Zealand. You will be regarded as a success story on here.

I hope you are able to find more time to enjoy the scenery over the coming year.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:30 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Firing1

Watched the programme the other night (UKStyle on Sky). Looked great.

Funny thing is we had picked out Tauranga as the place we would like to go and then we checked out Mount Maunganui school on the net and chose that. And low and behold you lot are on the tele there. Wicked. Cannot waite to see the follow up in Feb.

What dont you like about living there?

Jack
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

Paul. I'm here in NZ and was wondering if any of the programmes have been shown here? I'll be really interested in reading the book. Well done on starting your business here.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:07 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

It is good to hear from you - I too have been round a bit, watched the program and read the various lengthy threads on the program and the some of the issues you faced in the first few months.

I applaud anyone who works as hard as your family appear to have done, and wish you success in NZ and your new career as an author

Didn't you have a rehearsal studio back in the UK?
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:48 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

paul
Well done.I remember the program well and the treads you posted here(believe you mentioned that you were planning to write of your experiences).Dont know if you have heard off or seen the OZ series A New Life DownUnder (check out the resulting treads from that series!!!).

A very serious congrats on finishing the book and getting it published-not an easy thing to do under any circumstances.
Looks like you have achieved heaps in the past year.

rgds

S
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done Firing1 maybe your families experiences will help others hoping to go through the same process.

footie chick
Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Good to hear you are still there firing1,

Hope it all works out in 2004, good luck with the book

Earlswood
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Cheers all,
the program hasn't been shown in NZ yet but TVNZ have been in touch with us to find out about it. In reply to what we don't like about living here I suppose this first year has been all about survival. we haven't had an easy ride and didn't come out here with a load of money. Sometimes we actually miss the Buzz of living in a city. Nightlife in the UK is definately more varied than here. There have been a few comments on low NZ wages on this site and it is true especially if you are a new migrant and are having to use tradestaff or some other agency to find you work. See the cost of living here is about the same as the UK when you go onto the kiwi dollar and it is very hard to see that when you first come here with UK pounds. There are huge plus sides to live here though and I don't work half the hours I did in the UK and see my wife and kids all the time. We are starting to enjoy aspects of the lifestyle such as walking up the mount or surfing and all these things are free.
one aspect of living here that is worth considering though is that because of the lack of job opportunities a lot of 18-25 year olds leave NZ. I know of brits who are leaving here because they feel there are no opportunies for their kids. I see it slightly differently in that I think our kids will have more opportunities if we stick it out because they can live or work in NZ the UK or OZ !!
I'll go into some more details when I get a bit more time.

paul
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:25 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Yes getting a book published is a nightmare and the author doesn't get a lot of money per book sold but it was quite fun writing it and hopefully it will give an insight into what you go through as a family. I haven't been on this site for months as we have been busy setting up a second business - Backbeat rehearsal studios - to run alongside our Car Cleaning business. The Car Care business is doing well and if it grows as well this year then i may take on a second van. The move hasn't been plain sailing though and financially we are still struggling. We have decided to stick it out and come the end of 2004 when we get permanent residence we will make some descisions as to whether or not we will stay in Tauranga. At the moment we can't see ourselves moving back to the UK but permanent residence will give us more options. The weather is great at the moment which helps keep your spirits up except when you are working and it seems like everyone else is at the beach!! We have experinced a bit more of NZ by flying to Christchurch (great place) and taking a drive through the north island to Wellington. The kids are getting on fine and Zoe had her first school report and did very well. Anymore you want to know just ask.

paul
Paul,

I didn't know you subscribed to this site, as I am pretty new. I've seen the show twice now, just last week.
My Bro-in-Law lives in Bethlehem. We are considering aither Tauranga or Christchurch. I have been to Tauranga but not CChurch. Interesting you say it is a great place.

Have you ever read the book by Nicola Butler 'Emigrate with Caution'. It may help you avoid any pitfalls with writing your book as she tends to contradict herself quite a bit. That is understandable when your emotions are on a roller coaster because of such a life affecting event such as emigrating. But the contradictions are very apparent.

Good luck with the book, let us know when it is available in the shops.

Cheers

Jo
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:34 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Cheers all,
the program hasn't been shown in NZ yet but TVNZ have been in touch with us to find out about it. In reply to what we don't like about living here I suppose this first year has been all about survival. we haven't had an easy ride and didn't come out here with a load of money. Sometimes we actually miss the Buzz of living in a city. Nightlife in the UK is definately more varied than here. There have been a few comments on low NZ wages on this site and it is true especially if you are a new migrant and are having to use tradestaff or some other agency to find you work. See the cost of living here is about the same as the UK when you go onto the kiwi dollar and it is very hard to see that when you first come here with UK pounds. There are huge plus sides to live here though and I don't work half the hours I did in the UK and see my wife and kids all the time. We are starting to enjoy aspects of the lifestyle such as walking up the mount or surfing and all these things are free.
one aspect of living here that is worth considering though is that because of the lack of job opportunities a lot of 18-25 year olds leave NZ. I know of brits who are leaving here because they feel there are no opportunies for their kids. I see it slightly differently in that I think our kids will have more opportunities if we stick it out because they can live or work in NZ the UK or OZ !!
I'll go into some more details when I get a bit more time.

paul
Don't say too much mate, you've got that book to sell remember!
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:43 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Hi Paul & family,

Nice to hear from you again, we will look forward to the follow up programme with interest.

Happy New Year to you all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.