Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We've been victims of an apartment booking fraud

We've been victims of an apartment booking fraud

Old Jun 2nd 2006, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Angry We've been victims of an apartment booking fraud

I've had a nightmare of a day. Some of you may remember about a week ago when I asked how long it took for mail from Sydney to arrive in the UK because I was expecting details of an apartment that we booked on Domain.com.au through an independent advertiser. Anyway the details have not arrived having paid £1.5k up front for 6 weeks rental. We did not have the option of paying by credit card and thought that because he was on a big site it would be OK. Stupid in retrospect I know. Anyway, we cannot get hold of this guy by e mail (when I asked for the exact apartment address) and his mobile is always switched off. We thought he may just be on holiday but hubby rang up the website helpline today and they said that the name Michael Barrett (take note) rang a bell and they thought they had taken previous properties off that he had advertised due to problems. Anyway, it's now looking like a fraud case for the police to investigate but I don't think we'll get our money back. To top it all off, we leave on 14th June and now have nowhere to stay so will have to start looking again. I am angry and upset. I wanted to warn other people on this site to never send a payment direct to advertiser - always pay by credit card.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 5:44 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: We've been victims of an apartment booking fraud

Sh*t luck

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 2nd 2006 at 6:03 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benny the ball
Sh*t luck
Massively sh*te luck, just about to book our accomodation so can sympathise
I hope you manage to salvage something or the bastxxd gets caught by the balls and hung out to dry!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 2nd 2006 at 6:03 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you get some sort of compensation. I really feel for you. We got ripped off over westlife tickets paid up front no tickets arrived cheque was cashed .We are still trying to get money back and this was at the start of the year. Not to the extend of your problem.
There are some real scum bags out there.
Mandy
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 6:05 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

That really sucks.

Why on earth does the site let him continue to advertise, if there have been problems before??

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
I've had a nightmare of a day. Some of you may remember about a week ago when I asked how long it took for mail from Sydney to arrive in the UK because I was expecting details of an apartment that we booked on Domain.com.au through an independent advertiser. Anyway the details have not arrived having paid £1.5k up front for 6 weeks rental. We did not have the option of paying by credit card and thought that because he was on a big site it would be OK. Stupid in retrospect I know. Anyway, we cannot get hold of this guy by e mail (when I asked for the exact apartment address) and his mobile is always switched off. We thought he may just be on holiday but hubby rang up the website helpline today and they said that the name Michael Barrett (take note) rang a bell and they thought they had taken previous properties off that he had advertised due to problems. Anyway, it's now looking like a fraud case for the police to investigate but I don't think we'll get our money back. To top it all off, we leave on 14th June and now have nowhere to stay so will have to start looking again. I am angry and upset. I wanted to warn other people on this site to never send a payment direct to advertiser - always pay by credit card.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 6:09 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

God that is awful. Hope everything works out when you arrive.
Good Luck
J x
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

have sent you some k ...i'm so sorry to hear your bad news....
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 6:59 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

not a great start to your new life, you poor things

hope you can get some of the money back at some point, if not all of it.

arent there some nasty toads about
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
not a great start to your new life, you poor things

hope you can get some of the money back at some point, if not all of it.

arent there some nasty toads about
Can't say I'm all that thrilled at having to start a new life in Sydney at the moment. I wish we'd never started down this route. I really hope it doesn't cloud my view of Oz when we get there and that I get over it. At the moment I could quite happily cancel the whole thing only it's not that simple - we have no jobs or home to go to in Liverpool now and our new employer is waiting for us. . Looking on the bright side, worse things have happened - at least we all have good health and jobs waiting for us. Thanks everyone for your support.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 7:28 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Big hug and karma sent .
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 7:54 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

K sent

plus

big hug
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say I'm all that thrilled at having to start a new life in Sydney at the moment. I wish we'd never started down this route. I really hope it doesn't cloud my view of Oz when we get there and that I get over it. At the moment I could quite happily cancel the whole thing only it's not that simple - we have no jobs or home to go to in Liverpool now and our new employer is waiting for us. . Looking on the bright side, worse things have happened - at least we all have good health and jobs waiting for us. Thanks everyone for your support.
Sorry to hear of all your bad luck, not off to the perfect start we all dream of!!Hope you catch up with the bastard on day, have you asked the site why they accepted advertisements from a known fraudster and made you vunerable to a financial loss ? Might be worth while taking some legal advice and informing them you are going to let other immigrating (emigrating) people know what sort of clients they have on their website.
Hope you have better luck soon and can put it down to experience...have a big drink on me
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Hi

I am so sorry to hear about this, unfortunately there are some people about hoping to make money from migrants/ holiday makers like you. But please dont think we are all like that.

I have a holiday let in Perth, and at the moment I cannot take credit cards payments but that doesnt mean I am like them. I wish I could think of something to help you but you need a place in Sydney and I am in WA

Since running my holiday let in January 2006 I have helped 2 new arrivals to get jobs as well, so there are some good people out there.

I hope the police catch this man and you get your money back.

Good luck with your move to Oz and hope you find somewhere soon.

Kim
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Sue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really nice

When we arrived in Perth, we did not pay upfront with a credit card, we paid a small deposit to hold the property and paid cash on arrival, which suited us nicely.

Don't let this scumbag put you off coming to Oz, as everywhere you will find people trying to rip you off, however, there is a lot more people who are willing to go out of their way to help you out. I am a firm believer in 'What goes round, comes round', he will get his one day! Don't let the buggers grind you down!

Changing the subject, where in Liverpool are you from? We moved here from Aintree in February and are loving Perth.

Sue
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 5:06 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn! I wondered about this when I saw your first post and hoped you hadn't been scammed.

I'm really sorry to hear this. If you're coming out to Sydney and you need any sort of help, please IM us. We're in the Blue Mountains which is a bit of a hike I know, but we have wine and beer.... and a nice view.