Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We've been in Brisbane 1 week now!

We've been in Brisbane 1 week now!

Old Dec 12th 2005, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Neil & Shell will become famous soon enough
Default We've been in Brisbane 1 week now!

Hi everyone

Well we finally made it!

We arrived in Brisbane on Saturday 3 Dec and we love it!

It is such a nice place, so clean and tidy and the people are so friendly and helpful (well most of them)

I've started work (bit sooner than I planned) but settling in really well. I'm working for an accountancy firm in the city so if anyone needs advise with completing UK and Australian tax returns - SEND ME A PM. I'm basically doing my old role as a UK accountant but learning Oz stuff to.

Neil is still trying to get some work but its early days.

We're finding most things here are reasonably priced and the public transport (train) is very reliable.

Still having difficulties with christmas being 'in the sun' - it is weird!

Anyway must get back to work

Chat again soon

Shell
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:53 am
Pet
Forum Regular

Pet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nice
Default Re: We've been in Brisbane 1 week now!

Hi Shell, glad to hear you are liking Aus and congrats on getting a job so soon. I'm from County Durham and have lived in Perth 24 years and just love it here. Like many others had home sickness problems in the early years but now could not imagine living in the North East again. I was back on hols in Aug/Sept this year, had a great time but was please to be home in Aus. Keep us posted on your new adventure.

Pauline
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Neil & Shell
Hi everyone

Well we finally made it!

It is such a nice place, so clean and tidy and the people are so friendly and helpful (well most of them)

I've started work (bit sooner than I planned) but settling in really well. I'm working for an accountancy firm in the city so if anyone needs advise with completing UK and Australian tax returns - SEND ME A PM. I'm basically doing my old role as a UK accountant but learning Oz stuff to.

We're finding most things here are reasonably priced and the public transport (train) is very reliable.

Chat again soon

Shell
Congrats on your arrival! Bloody hell, though, talk about organised, working already!!!

Hope you're settling in well (sounds like it) and have a fab Christmas!

Jo
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

Hi Shell

Been in Brisbane now for 2 months and I agree with you - it is lovely. Whereabous are you living?

Congrats on the job.

Have a happy sunny Christmas.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Well we finally made it!

Chat again soon

Shell

Hi Shell,
We live in the next suburb along - Balmoral - in fact on the Bulimba Balmoral border. We absolutely love it here.

We've been here since early September but visited quite a few times before. We haven't started work yet. Decided to take a bit of a career break. Hubbie works for PriceWaterHouse (on the I.T. side) and I took redundancy from a large American I.T company ages ago.

Nice to here you've settled so quickly and found work straightaway. Hope your husband finds something soon. Will keep you in mind for our tax returns!

Welcome to Brissie. If you need any advice, just ask...don't forget there's an expat couples night on Saturday night at the Storey bridge hotel. I've no idea how many are going but its obviously quite close for you guys to get there if you're interested in meeting other recently settled people.

Regards

Netta (& John)
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi shell,
welcome to brisbane you really must come along to one of our meets,hope kerry has mentioned them
look forward to meeting you soon.

tracey
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

BSherlock will become famous soon enoughBSherlock will become famous soon enough

Hi Shelly,

Glade that you have setlled well. How did you manage to get a job so quickly? Did you have interviews lined up for your arrival?
Old Dec 12th 2005, 11:30 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Well we finally made it!

Chat again soon

Shell
I'm sooo jealous. We're still in UK and Christmas is definately NOT in the sun. Rerally glad things are working out ok. Should be over, house sale goes to plan by begining of June. Might hold you to the offer of UK Tax return!

Take care and enjoy

Ginny
Old Dec 14th 2005, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ClareW
Hi Shell

Been in Brisbane now for 2 months and I agree with you - it is lovely. Whereabous are you living?

Congrats on the job.

Have a happy sunny Christmas.
Hi Clare

We are renting in Morningside. It is near a big train station and is taking me about 20mins to get to work in the city centre.

Seems like a nice area in my opinion

Where are you?

Thanks

Shell

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Old Dec 14th 2005, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BSherlock
Hi Shelly,

Glade that you have setlled well. How did you manage to get a job so quickly? Did you have interviews lined up for your arrival?
Hi

I was lucky to arrange an interview before I came to Australia. One of the bosses was visiting London and I got to meet with him a few months before I arrived.

Accountancy seems to be in demand here. I joined a lot of internet job sites and got plenty of emails with possible jobs. Guess I have been lucky though as it is such a relief to be earing money straight away.

Fingers crossed you get sorted with a job quickly

Cheers

Shell
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Glad youre settling in Ok. We've been here about 6weeks, living in Redland Bay. Finding it difficult to get out as we have 2 young children. Would love to meet up with others more in the new year as my parents are visiting for 3 months, so have baby sitters. Weekends will be our best times.

Paul and Joanne
Originally from Co. Durham
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulb
Glad youre settling in Ok. We've been here about 6weeks, living in Redland Bay. Finding it difficult to get out as we have 2 young children. Would love to meet up with others more in the new year as my parents are visiting for 3 months, so have baby sitters. Weekends will be our best times.

Paul and Joanne
Originally from Co. Durham
Hi Paul & Joanne

We would love to meet up with you in the new year.

I'll send you a PM with our mobile number and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Merry christmas

Shell and Neil