We've arrived!!!

Wikiposts

We've arrived!!!

Old Aug 18th 2003, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jajpe
HI Tori,

great to hear that all is going so well for you and that you like it all so much. Hope you get sorted with a house soon too. How much is average would you say for a 4 bed bungalow for a family with a bit of a garden? We have been keeping an eye on Christchurch prices and they definately seem to be on the up from when we started looking last year! Can I also ask if you have felt any homesickness yet or does it still feel more like a holiday! Just curious as I dread going and being terribly homesick!! Take care and please do keep in touch with the forum!
Hi Shirley

We have been looking at older properties mostly but we did go and look a two year old three bed bungalow in Stoke at the weekend which was going to be auctioned, we are going to pop alond to see what it goes for so we will let you know. Most places get sold this way or by tender, hardly any places are advertised with prices. the average (what ever average is...) house price in Nelson is about $280,000 I think you will find Christchurch prices abit cheaper! With regards to homesickness, I miss everyone obviously and there were few tears when we first arrived but I think that was just the release of all the stress over the last few months. We get lots of emails which is great fun expecially when they are form the our nieces and nephews! My best mate is really poorley at the mo and thats hard, brings home how far away you are but other than that it doesn't feel like we are so far away.Hey but we have only been her two weeks!!

Keep in touch Tori
Old Aug 18th 2003, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: We've arrived!!!

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Good to hear you arrived safely - how was the flight? Good luck with everything.

regards, Rich.
Hi Rich

The flight? well..... we treated ourselves and went business class and it was wonderfull our everyneed pampered too...drunk far to much champagne...the food was wonderfull.... and the flight its self was great , have flown UK to NYC and Washington numerous times and the flights have been much worse. We were delayed at Auckland for about five hours due to fog in Christchurch!!

Cheers Tori
Old Aug 18th 2003, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by southerner
Tori/Ian

Have a look at some of the sub-divisions around Mapua. That is where I would look to buy a section if I were you. There are some good restaurants/cafes there too.

Glad you're settling in well. Hopefully we will be there abouts in about 1 month.

Regards,

Blair
Hi Blair

Ian is working in Ruby Bay at the moment so not far from Mapua (had to check where it was on the map!) Think we will add that to the list of places to check out, we have looked at properties in Stock and Richmond not really waht we are after. We have ventured the other way there are sections for sale near Glenduan but I have fallen in love with a property in town on Nile Street older styler cottage... out of price range but hey I can dream!! Anyway about to pop in to town now and no doubt will do more window shopping at the estate agents!!

Tori
Old Aug 18th 2003, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TIZUS
Hi Shirley

We have been looking at older properties mostly but we did go and look a two year old three bed bungalow in Stoke at the weekend which was going to be auctioned, we are going to pop alond to see what it goes for so we will let you know....
Hi Tori,

Glad all is well..

have you been to an auction yet? Just wondered what they're like....and the chances of us dum Brits being fleeced! Do many people turn up?

If you haven't been yet could you do a post about the one you go to,

Cheers, Gra..
Old Aug 18th 2003, 11:39 am
Carol in Oz

Originally posted by Gra.B
Hi Tori,

Glad all is well..

have you been to an auction yet? Just wondered what they're like....and the chances of us dum Brits being fleeced! Do many people turn up?

Cheers, Gra..

Havent read the full thread on this but I wouldnt buy a house at auction with a barge pole!! Not here in Oz anyway. Heard of dummy bidders?? Have a daughter in the auction business, say no more.

carol

Old Aug 18th 2003, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Gra.B
Hi Tori,

Glad all is well..

Cheers, Gra..
Hi Gra

How are you hope your plans are going ok.

We haven't been to an auction yet, but yes we wondered the same about being fleeced, Must make sure Ian doesn't twitch or wink at anyone we might end up buying something by mistake!! The other thing that seems popular is places being sold by tender, where you put in an sealed offer along with everyone else and the seller decides which to go with apparently not always the highest bid, depends if your ready to go with your finances etc.

Tori
Old Aug 18th 2003, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Carol_in Oz
Havent read the full thread on this but I wouldnt buy a house at auction with a barge pole!! Not here in Oz anyway. Heard of dummy bidders?? Have a daughter in the auction business, say no more.

carol
Hi Carol,

we haven't been to an auction here in NZ yet but it does seem a popular way to sell properties, thanks for the warning though...

Tori
Old Aug 18th 2003, 8:19 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carol,

we haven't been to an auction here in NZ yet but it does seem a popular way to sell properties, thanks for the warning though...

Tori

Its a good idea to spectate at a few auctions before you do it for real, which looks like what Tizus is doing. We plan to go to some in Dunedin as many homes are sold this way.

We also saw some of the older character properties in Nelson on the internet, and there were some great looking ones around the city. If you are interested in this type, have a look at the old historic homestead off Stoke main St (sorry - its name eludes me right now). This will give an idea of the sort of original interior they had, and many people are renovating old places like this.

B
Old Aug 19th 2003, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gra

How are you hope your plans are going ok.

We haven't been to an auction yet, but yes we wondered the same about being fleeced, Must make sure Ian doesn't twitch or wink at anyone we might end up buying something by mistake!! The other thing that seems popular is places being sold by tender, where you put in an sealed offer along with everyone else and the seller decides which to go with apparently not always the highest bid, depends if your ready to go with your finances etc.

Tori
We're fine thanks, nothing new to report..

It's the dummy bidders that Carol mentioned that I'd be worried about. Guess you need to stick to your limit regardless. The trouble is not knowing the market out there & coming to a reasonable figure .

Don't forget to shout 'Cheap as chups' at every given opportunity!

Gra..
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Very amusing Gra.