Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Westpac / Singapore Airlines Credit Card

Westpac / Singapore Airlines Credit Card

Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

abertawe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Westpac / Singapore Airlines Credit Card

Thinking of getting a Westpac and Singapore Airlines Credit Card for myself plus one.

Have anyone used one to purchase tickets.

Both myself and WeLoveBonds have KrisFlyer membership - can you allocate miles to say myself, WeLoveBonds and our son who also has KrisFlyer miles.

Additionally can you use the miles on all ticket offers or is it on full fare only from points accumulated on the card.

Cheers
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:51 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Westpac / Singapore Airlines Credit Card

Basically it just means Westpac credit your Krisflyer account with miles for what you spend. The actual points are managed as normal by Singapore Airlines.

You cant transfer your miles, but you can have redemption nominees in your KF account. So you can pay for a redemption nominee's upgrade or reward flight from your miles.

Reward flights are subject to availability and have their own booking class and the actual physical fare has nothing to do with it. You simply log into KF and worth through to see what fares are available for what date. The actual mileage cost depends on class, route etc. You can just play on the redemption bookings engine as much as you want even if you have no miles as it simply wont let you book it.

By the way you still have to pay the taxes on the reward flight in money. Its still worth it. Middle of August Im out to London in First Class on some points and 900 bucks in taxes. I've also upgraded my sister in law as a redemption nominee from my own account etc.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Hi

This is interesting. Having looked at this I would have to purchase, like over $100k of goods. Unless I put a house on a credit card this is unlikely or I would have to make at least 3 return trips in the next 2 years. Also unlikely.

But how does the upgrade work. Do you for example book an economy return ticket and then use your miles to upgrade to Business. Can i use these to upgrade myself, my wife and child?
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

....also can you upgrade on the basic membership...
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:54 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abertawe
Hi

This is interesting. Having looked at this I would have to purchase, like over $100k of goods. Unless I put a house on a credit card this is unlikely or I would have to make at least 3 return trips in the next 2 years. Also unlikely.

But how does the upgrade work. Do you for example book an economy return ticket and then use your miles to upgrade to Business. Can i use these to upgrade myself, my wife and child?
Well you earn Krisflyer points by flying any Star Alliance airline including Singapore Airlines. Those also get credited to your account as well as a few here and there from car rental companies, hotels etc who partner with SIA. All in addition to your credit card mileage.

With an upgrade you have to make sure of the fare type that you are booking into. Singapore only allow people to upgrade from S, Y B or E type fares, even though all of those are economy tickets. So you buy your eligible ticket and then you upgrade each leg of the trip to business using points.

Confused yet ? You will be. Award upgrades and flights have 3 different levels on offer, all cost different points with the cheapest being the "saver award" which are limited in number. Twice as many points for the standard award which is basically seat anytime. It is madness to even consider using points on anything else than a saver award upgrade. There is a third but who know as to why its even there.

So make sure its a saver award and it will cost you, for example, 35,000 points to upgrade Australia to Singapore. Then they apply a current discount of 25% on redemptions which is a promotion that has been running forever. So will be only actually cost you 26,250 points.

And yes, you can use your points to upgrade any of your redemption nominees, of which you can have 5 I think.

Simply the best resource for all things Singapore airlines is www.sqtalk.com and the forum is excellent, if generally posted to by a lot of frequent flyers who are nuts about Singapore airlines. Ultimately though, you are probably realising now that just earning points on a credit card alone is a very very hard way to get miles and to my mind its a bit of a gimmick.