Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Westpac Handycard - Wot no VISA?

Westpac Handycard - Wot no VISA?

Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Westpac Handycard - Wot no VISA?

Hi

I just got my Westpac "Handycard" for my Bank Account. It doesnt have VISA or DELTA on it, just Cirrus and EFTPOS. Does this mean I have a really basic Bank card? Or is it only Credit Cards in Oz that have VISA and DELTA on them?

For example, I was wondering how I would use my card for Internet shopping? Is that where the CIRRUS logo comes into play? In the UK, it is VISA all the way.

Cheers, SS
Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:45 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Westpac Handycard - Wot no VISA?

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Hi

I just got my Westpac "Handycard" for my Bank Account. It doesnt have VISA or DELTA on it, just Cirrus and EFTPOS. Does this mean I have a really basic Bank card? Or is it only Credit Cards in Oz that have VISA and DELTA on them?

For example, I was wondering how I would use my card for Internet shopping? Is that where the CIRRUS logo comes into play? In the UK, it is VISA all the way.

Cheers, SS
you will need to get a credit card also.....we got a virgin credit card which has no annual fee and a great int rate........it is underwritten by westpac
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent a long and boring time on the phone with Westpac going through opening an account to then move on to the credit card application. After being told that there was no problem with us applying for a credit card as long as we had a visa of 3 years or longer by customer services we were then told that credit cards are only available to permanent residents. So if you want a westpac credit card then as long as you are a permanent resident you should be able to apply for one, if not then don't waste the time on a phone call.
Nicky
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:03 am
ABCDiamond

Some Banks do have Debit cards with Visa or Mastercard options.

The following financial institutions currently issue Visa Debit Cards:
Adelaide Bank (SA)
B & E Limited (TAS)
Bank of SA (SA)
Bendigo (National)
Greater Building Society (NSW)
Elders Rural Bank (National)
Heritage Building Society (National)
Home Building Society (WA)
HSBC (National)
IMB (National)
Laiki Bank (National)
Newcastle Permanent Building Society (NSW)
St George (National)
Suncorp (National)
Westpac (VIC)

Visa Debit is also issued by most Credit Unions

Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by NickyP
Just spent a long and boring time on the phone with Westpac going through opening an account to then move on to the credit card application. After being told that there was no problem with us applying for a credit card as long as we had a visa of 3 years or longer by customer services we were then told that credit cards are only available to permanent residents. So if you want a westpac credit card then as long as you are a permanent resident you should be able to apply for one, if not then don't waste the time on a phone call.
Nicky
Shop around the different banks for the credit card on temp Visa. I do know of some people who have been able to get them.

Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Shop around the different banks for the credit card on temp Visa. I do know of some people who have been able to get them.
Will do thanks we have applied for one with ANZ as they will consider us based on Ian's wage, should hear in a couple of days. I hope that it works out with them as I would like to go to them for a mortgage and bank accounts (just got to wait a few more months for the PR ) and it would be nice to be able to have it all together at least to begin with. I am irritated that HSBC are so far away from us as it makes opening an account with them too difficult. They said that as we had a good credit rating and history with them in the UK they would open the credit card before we get the PR and use the UK account to guarantee it (in case we ran back to the UK I assume) but it would mean a day off work and a 3 hour car trip each way to get to the branch to open the account :scared: .
Nicky
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

ANZ gave us a credit card and we don't have PR visa, we have 4 year 457. No problem at all, had to show visa and contract of employment showing salary.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

SarahandOli is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like westpac have varying rules - we are on a 457, but managed to get a credit card with them about 4 months ago - extremely low credit limit though!!!
Old Dec 6th 2005, 10:55 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Very useful list, ABCDiamond. My accounts are all with St George, because they were the only bank I could find at the time who offered VISA debit cards.

I would definitely recommend trying to get a VISA debit card to anyone - it makes life so much easier in the early days of arriving in a new country... especially as that is the time you tend to buy the most things yet aren't able to easily obtain a credit card.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Thanks everyone - I'll get an Aussie Credit Card when I arrive......in the meantime, it'll be EFTPOS all the way.

SS
Old Dec 6th 2005, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

By the way, what is CIRRUS?
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
By the way, what is CIRRUS?
It is a group of banks that allow you to use their ATMs around the world. My HSBC card has CIRRUS and that is the way that I can withdraw cash in the USA.
Nicky
Old Dec 6th 2005, 10:53 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SarahandOli
Sounds like westpac have varying rules - we are on a 457, but managed to get a credit card with them about 4 months ago - extremely low credit limit though!!!

I too also got a credit card off Westpac when I was on a temp visa , and only being in the country for a couple of weeks -no problem at all ( this was in NSW years ago)

I think it also depends how much money you are banking with them - ie money talks in other words with these "money grabbing" banks here, and how much you earn of course - if they hadn't gave me a card, I would have banked somewhere else.

But most definitely you could get a credit card with Westpac on a temp visa - I did within just two or three weeks of landing in Aus

I don't know if it made any difference that it was a MasterCard, as I've had MasterCard's for years with various banks in each country ( Asia and Uk) and have a very good credit record - ie I always pay the whole amount off fully within the month. I don't know if Mastercard check on things like that - internationally

Perhaps they've changed the rules in recent years that you must be a PR (but it doesn't seem so, as you managed to get one too with them ) -

I think it depends on who you get dealing with your application in the banks (besides taking the "usual" into account )Perhaps it differs from state to state with Westpac ( I don't know why it would though)

I don't know about here in Qld ( or some of the other states), I'm not on a temp visa now, but I know that in NSW you most certainly could get one with Westpac

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Dec 6th 2005 at 11:15 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone - I'll be arriving as a PR so I should be able to get a Credit Card.

SS