Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Westpac bank - need some info...

Westpac bank - need some info...

Old Jun 30th 2012, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

JonathanE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Westpac bank - need some info...

Hi I have recently opened a bank account with Westpac. Last week I have received some weird SMS messages on my mobile, apparently from Westpac, with a 6 digits code.

Is this usual for Westpac account holders?

Thanks..
J.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 10:13 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Westpac bank - need some info...

Originally Posted by JonathanE
Hi I have recently opened a bank account with Westpac. Last week I have received some weird SMS messages on my mobile, apparently from Westpac, with a 6 digits code.

Thanks..
J.
http://www.westpac.com.au/security/h...ms-code-about/
Old Jul 1st 2012, 12:37 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks..
J.
That will be just advising you of your first months fees
Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:35 am
Just Joined

I know about SMS Westpac security. I am however worried regarding the content of the messages, and I'm wondering if its authentic...

Here's the most recent SMS that I have received:

content: "Westpac code xxxxxx. Reply to this SMS to confirm account."

Is this the standard SMS sent by Westpac or not?

thanks, J
Old Jul 1st 2012, 10:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know about SMS Westpac security. I am however worried regarding the content of the messages, and I'm wondering if its authentic...

Here's the most recent SMS that I have received:

content: "Westpac code xxxxxx. Reply to this SMS to confirm account."

Is this the standard SMS sent by Westpac or not?

thanks, J
In the link above there is a phone number to ring if you have any concerns. Have you rung them?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In the link above there is a phone number to ring if you have any concerns. Have you rung them?
yes, I called westpac but the lady said they cannot give further information over the phone and that I should go to a local branch to resolve this....

I'm working till 6 so I'd have to take a day off to handle this
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

I am with them too but not received that text, mind you we did all our verification in the uk. Only had SMS when transferring money.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

perthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really nice

I've been with westpac for 2 years and never had a text like that?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy3
I am with them too but not received that text, mind you we did all our verification in the uk. Only had SMS when transferring money.
That is strange... perhaps they've recently changed the SMS form?

Do you remember exactly the text in the SMS that you have received form them?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

That is strange... perhaps they've recently changed the SMS form?

Do you remember exactly the text in the SMS that you have received form them?
My SMS have only been a code to put in when paying someone. The bank will talk to you over the phone, at least they have with us. Just call and say you cannot get into the branch due to work, but they are also open on Saturdays here.
Good luck.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks..
J.
Sorry, just re read, that sounds like your initial pass code onto online banking, so go to westpac, put in your customer, not account number and that will be your pass code you use the keyboard for( this will make sense!) then once in you set your own pass code. If it is not then contact the bank again, are you in the uk? The London branch were extremely helpful over the phone as we lived nowhere near it.
Best of luck