Western Power

Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough
Default Western Power

Does anyone know if the use of aircons is actually banned here in Perth at the moment? Lady at school was telling me it is & then I heard the tale end of a report on the radio. I know you can be fined for using them when they're banned so want to check.
They are also predicting rolling blackouts for later today as WP can't cope. What fun!

Loopy (sat with the aircon on!)
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:38 am
owieb

From what I gather from the news they are actually banned, WP have asked people not to use them otherwise they could face a fine of $1,000. But they said they aren't going to enforce the fine if people co-operate. If the situation gets worse then they will enforce the fine.

My wife's company have just turned all their aircon off and turned off the lights, and she works for one of the big companies in Perth so it must be quite a problem WP have.

Last edited by owieb; Feb 18th 2004 at 12:40 am.

Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Western Power

Originally posted by Loopy
Does anyone know if the use of aircons is actually banned here in Perth at the moment? Lady at school was telling me it is & then I heard the tale end of a report on the radio. I know you can be fined for using them when they're banned so want to check.
They are also predicting rolling blackouts for later today as WP can't cope. What fun!

Loopy (sat with the aircon on!)
I also heard the same today. I mentioned it to an Aussie mum at school and she laughed, she said; how can they stop you?!

My daughter's school have a power cut - I thought the priority was keeping schools cool?? What's going on??
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:43 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kath
I also heard the same today. I mentioned it to an Aussie mum at school and she laughed, she said; how can they stop you?!

My daughter's school have a power cut - I thought the priority was keeping schools cool?? What's going on??
WA is now officially overloaded...by soft whinging poms.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Just read renth's thread too & have turned air con off and put my little fan on! Next thing you know the kids'll be sent home from school because they can't turn the fans on, the trains will be off yet again, the city will grind to a halt & everyone will head for the beach, but I bet Mackers, Hungry jacks etc will soldier on!!!

Anyone else at work not using the leccy?

Loopy
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Florida_03
WA is now officially overloaded...by soft whinging poms.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:46 am
Not here

Originally posted by Kath
So do you have an aircon?...I thought so...have you turned off?...I thought so...how long have you payed taxes for infrastruture in Australia?...I thought so...
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

How can they fine people for using power (which we pay for) but not compensate when we get yet another blackout??

Loopy
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

So do you have an aircon?...I thought so...have you turned off?...I thought so...how long have you payed taxes for infrastruture in Australia?...I thought so...
Yes we have aircon, it's switched off.

Can't say we've paid taxes for a long time but we're certainly not a burden to Australia.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:52 am
Not here

Originally posted by Loopy
How can they fine people for using power (which we pay for) but not compensate when we get yet another blackout??

Loopy
Show some pioneering spirit...
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:52 am
WBB

Originally posted by owieb
From what I gather from the news they are actually banned, WP have asked people not to use them otherwise they could face a fine of $1,000. But they said they aren't going to enforce the fine if people co-operate. If the situation gets worse then they will enforce the fine.
that dont make much sense.....or is it just me?

Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:55 am
Banned

userjay will become famous soon enough

Show some pioneering spirit...
so are you going to help ?or just be pleb? why bother ?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:56 am
Not here

Originally posted by WBB
that dont make much sense.....or is it just me?
It is easy. Australia has not invested in infrastruture since the '60s (think baby boomers-drugs and love baby). The infrastruture was in need of replacement and upgrade for many decades, but there were too many other good things to spend money on (think baby boomers-greed is good). Now the infrastruture is failing because there is a drain on fiscal resources (think baby boomers-my arse needs wiping). There is nothing left and now you pay.

Last edited by Florida_03; Feb 18th 2004 at 1:09 am.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:57 am
Not here

Originally posted by userjay
so are you going to help ?or just be pleb? why bother ?
No I have moved from the baby boomers graveyard. You are most welcome to all the sunshine, piss you can drink, and baby boomers arses to wipe...have fun.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I am sitting in the office with lights out and aircon off. They weren't running some of the machines in the factory when I got in but now they have started everything up.

I think the newspaper report was a case of scare mongering as it said there would be fines but the rep from Western Power on the radio this morning stressed that it was voluntary which should be enough to stop the blackouts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.