Reload this Page >

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Old Jul 16th 2012, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Tanya35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Hi Brit_Para,

Don't worry, you're not the only one going alone! My friends think I'm mad, crazy and brave for doing this on my own....but if I can climb Kili and that was definitely a challenge, then anything is achieveable!!!
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Faith1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Note regarding medicare make sure every adult present when applying and take info from immigration regarding your visa. I'm hoping third time lucky for me! I pack husband and kids of to cinema but needed him there. Also I was Told visa done electronically via passport number. I did take an email with visa numbers on it but not good enough. Task to night to see if I can locate it on immigration www. back again soon just glad got travel insurance.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Brit_Para is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tanya,
Good to know I'm not the only one going alone!! My mates think the same, and are looking forward to cheap holidays to Oz once I'm settled!!!

You must be having a crazy time trying to sort out all your stuff, but like you say on the bright side you get to save some money and are moving in the right direction for when that job offer comes in!

I have no idea what I'll do with all my stuff, I've a whole house to sort out! It's rented so don't have to worry about selling, but it was unfurnished when i moved in so I've accumulated Heaps of furniture over the last 10 years!!!

Well done on climbing kili, awesome achievement! This little hop to the other side of the world will be nothing compared to that!!
Old Jul 16th 2012, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Hi Faith!

Sounds like the hard work continues once your over there! It must be mental trying to get everything in order and set up 'life' again! Will all be worth it in the end tho, I'm looking forward to the challenge!

I'm still awaiting dates for vc, I emailed natalie with my available dates but not heard anything back, beginning to panic that they've reached their quota of paras now and don't need any more!!

Hope your enjoying the job and the lifestyle, will hopefully be there with you soon!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

T9DDY is an unknown quantity at this point

Brit para, why don't you send all your house contents over, its about 3k for a container, i think. Whould be cheaper for you. i gave my house up over a year ago to save and moved in with family, so sold everything in the house. i would of like to have kept everything. 3k. sounds a lot but you'll need to kit your new house if not, fridge, cooker, bike, lawnmower, books, photo, bed, wardrobes etc etc, that all adds up.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My advice is to bring stuff over. We hired half a shipping container for £3K, was well worth it. Didn't need a full one as no car was brought over. Felt like xmas when it all arrived! Even if you gradually replace it with aussie stuff, at least you will have furniture. And second hand stuff sells well here, garage sales are really popular as are free to advertise papers where you can sell all your old stuff.
I really regret not bringing more stuff over, including those old quality street tins full of old screws and nails etc!!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advise there guys, I don't think I'd really considered bringing my stuff with me, don't ask why it never occurred to me, seems like the most obvious thing to do now!! I guess I just assumed it wouldn't fit in my Aussie house? Doh, dunno why??
Have the date for my VC now so the ball has started moving again! Is it just me, or is it normal for me to have moments of 'holy mamma jabber what the flipping heck am I doing, just stay put in UK and be happy'?!?!

That said tho, it is very exciting and if it wasn't to happen I would be gutted!
Gill, Tanya cider, you had anymore news? Is there anyone else still waiting to hear or still going thru selection?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Kateve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Hi,

My advice is to bring stuff over. We hired half a shipping container for £3K, was well worth it. Didn't need a full one as no car was brought over. Felt like xmas when it all arrived! Even if you gradually replace it with aussie stuff, at least you will have furniture. And second hand stuff sells well here, garage sales are really popular as are free to advertise papers where you can sell all your old stuff.
I really regret not bringing more stuff over, including those old quality street tins full of old screws and nails etc!!
Hi I agree we've been here around a month and we brought everything we shipped our stuff from Scotland in March which meant it was here ready for us, we've only had to spend a few hundred dollars on a couple of bits and pieces..... and its made it all more settling for our girls having their things around them, we had a 40ft container as we had 2 cars coming over its cost quite alot all in all but think it would have cost more selling it all there second hand and rebuying once here.

On another totally different note? I haven't been able to transfer my licence yet as I didn't have the correct paperwork, ie rental agreements, medicare cards etc, I have them all now and i know you have three months but do St Johns require us to have LR on the licence as well as C? thanks anyone that can help with that?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

bigdaisy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kateve
Hi I agree we've been here around a month and we brought everything we shipped our stuff from Scotland in March which meant it was here ready for us, we've only had to spend a few hundred dollars on a couple of bits and pieces..... and its made it all more settling for our girls having their things around them, we had a 40ft container as we had 2 cars coming over its cost quite alot all in all but think it would have cost more selling it all there second hand and rebuying once here.

On another totally different note? I haven't been able to transfer my licence yet as I didn't have the correct paperwork, ie rental agreements, medicare cards etc, I have them all now and i know you have three months but do St Johns require us to have LR on the licence as well as C? thanks anyone that can help with that?
Hi, I went and transfered my license yesterday, the woman behind the desk wasnt very helpfull at all. Told her I'd be driving ambulances would I need to add any other classes, but she just shrugged her shoulders and said 'i dont know', before charging me $150.

Hopefully it will only be class c, or I'll prob get charged for adding more on.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Tanya35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it worth shipping a car over??? I've heard conflicting information about whether to do it or not, any advise would be most helpful xx
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Kateve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigdaisy
Hi, I went and transfered my license yesterday, the woman behind the desk wasnt very helpfull at all. Told her I'd be driving ambulances would I need to add any other classes, but she just shrugged her shoulders and said 'i dont know', before charging me $150.

Yeh the licensing place in Rockingham is awful, I've been in twice and came out again as its been so busy, the first time I waited only to be told a piece of paper with my medicare number was insufficient! think its the only thing I still have to do though, so I will have to get onto it.

Tanya35, it depends on the car, if you look up a thread thing its on poms in oz for Iron chef, he advises and can help with bringing cars over, they fall into categories and some are not worth it, but others definitely are, you must have owned your car for at least 12 months in the UK prior to shipping too and be the legal owner, our cars are worth twice here what they were in the UK so it was a no brainer, however it was a bit of hassle but I think worth it, everyone will have different experiences, hope that helps
Old Jul 19th 2012, 2:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanya35
Is it worth shipping a car over??? I've heard conflicting information about whether to do it or not, any advise would be most helpful xx
If you have a browse through the forum there are loads of threads on the subject, at least two in the last couple of days.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigdaisy

Normal car license (C class) is fine for ambulance. C class is for vehs upto 4.5 tons, I had similar probs on arrival, guy at licensing dept was adamant (albeit wrongly) I would need medium rigid, which sent me into a panic, but HR confirmed you only need C class! sadly you can't transfer larger vehicle stuff like C1, D1 etc over, you have to do them here, they equate to light or Medium rigid etc?

You can do either light or medium rigid (not sure which) once here as you can then drive the bariatric vehicle, but thats upto you, probably better going for the highest one, as cost is pretty much similar

Last edited by I wan tee go oz; Jul 19th 2012 at 3:04 am.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Gillbabe will become famous soon enoughGillbabe will become famous soon enough

Good luck to all those starting on 23rd!!! Sooo jealous, still waiting managers approval of my application could take three weeks, looks like if I am successful will be February start. Just want to know either way now.

Tanya, cider medic have you heard anything yet? Good luck with your VC
Brit para
Old Jul 21st 2012, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gillbabe
Good luck to all those starting on 23rd!!! Sooo jealous, still waiting managers approval of my application could take three weeks, looks like if I am successful will be February start. Just want to know either way now.

Tanya, cider medic have you heard anything yet? Good luck with your VC
Brit para
Thanks Gill. Have you heard if there's a course running in Feb Gill? That would suit me, was going to ask at VC if/when there were anymore planned after sept. know you were hopin to start in sept, hope that still comes good for you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.