tentoesover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Glad to hear Phil.

Sent ya a PM.

Ttyl.

Garrett
Old May 11th 2011, 6:48 am
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

Hi Guys, I'm a UK HPC registered paramedic - I sent off my application with CV and copies of my docs at the end of April to St John WA - I was encouraged to hear they have a recruitment drive over the next three or four years. Although I've had (automated I think) an acknowledgement of my application, does anyone have a rough idea of when I'll hear about shortlisting for interviews?
Old May 11th 2011, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Zuluman7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I applied end of March 2011 and still have not heard anything. I have sent 2 emails and have had no response hopefully they received my application. I really want to go to western Australia.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:37 pm
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I really want to go too - and the wife is up for it and is as excited as me. I keep telling myself they're really busy and like any organization the wheels turn slowly, I emailed them a few days ago to ask about timelines for shortlisting and have had no response yet, I've felt tempted to call them but don't want to be a pain in the neck - thought it best to stay off the radar as it were and just sit back and wait for them to get in touch. I read the local Perth paper on line and there was an article about the big enquiry they've just completed and the increase in budget of something like 149 million dollars to recruit 309 extra techs ( ambulance officers) and paras over the next 3 - 4 years; reading the article cheered me up as I thought it must be easier and more cost effective for them to recruit qualified and experienced paras than have to grow their own. I get the feeling from reading previous posts that the whole process can take from 6 to 9 months. I'll be gutted if I don't at least get an interview.....
Old May 12th 2011, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twinsdad
Hi

Thanks for the reply, I really want to go too - and the wife is up for it and is as excited as me. I keep telling myself they're really busy and like any organization the wheels turn slowly, I emailed them a few days ago to ask about timelines for shortlisting and have had no response yet, I've felt tempted to call them but don't want to be a pain in the neck - thought it best to stay off the radar as it were and just sit back and wait for them to get in touch. I read the local Perth paper on line and there was an article about the big enquiry they've just completed and the increase in budget of something like 149 million dollars to recruit 309 extra techs ( ambulance officers) and paras over the next 3 - 4 years; reading the article cheered me up as I thought it must be easier and more cost effective for them to recruit qualified and experienced paras than have to grow their own. I get the feeling from reading previous posts that the whole process can take from 6 to 9 months. I'll be gutted if I don't at least get an interview.....
Hi guys,

Having just started for SJA, I can assure you the application processes are still running. There are big plans for lots more international staff, both Para's and Techs.
It can take between 1-3 months before you hear anything.
I applied last July and out of the blue in Aug got an e-mail saying phone interview was due 2 wks from time of e-mail.
6-9 months isn't long when you consider how fast time flies. My advice is to start sorting things in expectation of you getting the job (without too much financial outlay), such as making sure your mortgage provider will let you rent out your house, save hard and researching areas of Perth where you may like to live/rent. A bit of groundwork never hurt anyone!
Also research schools, phone & internet, banks, cars etc just to give you an idea of the financial commitment when you get here. You DO feel like you haemorrhage money in the first few months, but it's worth it, and even better when you start earning.

Good luck
Old May 12th 2011, 5:08 am
Perth WA

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Hi guys,

Having just started for SJA, I can assure you the application processes are still running. There are big plans for lots more international staff, both Para's and Techs.
It can take between 1-3 months before you hear anything.
I applied last July and out of the blue in Aug got an e-mail saying phone interview was due 2 wks from time of e-mail.
6-9 months isn't long when you consider how fast time flies. My advice is to start sorting things in expectation of you getting the job (without too much financial outlay), such as making sure your mortgage provider will let you rent out your house, save hard and researching areas of Perth where you may like to live/rent. A bit of groundwork never hurt anyone!
Also research schools, phone & internet, banks, cars etc just to give you an idea of the financial commitment when you get here. You DO feel like you haemorrhage money in the first few months, but it's worth it, and even better when you start earning.

Good luck

Thanks for that !
That's encouraging - I've spent the last couple of weeks looking at houses to rent etc but thought I'd better slow down as all I was doing was building up the excitement levels to the point I was thinking of nothing else then realised if I didn't get an interview/job offer I'd be seriously disappointed - I've got loads of questions but have to go to work now so will post them later. Congrats on getting out there yourself, hope you're enjoying it
Old May 14th 2011, 8:15 am
Perth WA

Spoke to my sister who lives in Melbourne, she reckons that people in Australia get paid fortnightly or even weekly, she says no one gets paid their salary monthly as we do in the UK. Is that right? How do ambulance staff get paid, weekly, fortnightly or monthly? Would be good to know for budget planning. Also, are Brits going out there and getting put straight on a line at their posted station or being used as reliefs? - Good to know when planning where to live, wether you can cycle to work or have to buy a car straight away. Is there much overtime available for people who want it ?

Nuts and bolts questions, I'd be grateful for any feedback
Old May 14th 2011, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Spoke to my sister who lives in Melbourne, she reckons that people in Australia get paid fortnightly or even weekly, she says no one gets paid their salary monthly as we do in the UK. Is that right? How do ambulance staff get paid, weekly, fortnightly or monthly? Would be good to know for budget planning. Also, are Brits going out there and getting put straight on a line at their posted station or being used as reliefs? - Good to know when planning where to live, wether you can cycle to work or have to buy a car straight away. Is there much overtime available for people who want it ?

Nuts and bolts questions, I'd be grateful for any feedback
Service here pays fortnightly. As a Para you get a home station (base), but you go onto a shift pattern and do 8 week rotations at stations, although you won't always get the ones near you, but as more and more staff arrive, then it will happen. You can have a permanent station, but it's a long list to get one. Shifts are 2 days, 2 nights then 4 off. So you can plan your life in advance. Although I dont know what station i'll be at in 5 weeks, I do know what days i'll be working for the next 5 years!
Overtime is avail, sometimes loads, sometimes none. It's all well explained on the course.
The main thing is I can plan my life better than when I was in the UK. Gone are the days of working random days/nights at short notice
Old May 15th 2011, 3:59 pm
Perth WA

On the SJA website there are 3 types of paramedic AP1, AP2 and AP3 - where does a UK para (qualified as a para '97) fit in to their system - not a unibod but IHCD oldtimer ?
Old May 16th 2011, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

On the SJA website there are 3 types of paramedic AP1, AP2 and AP3 - where does a UK para (qualified as a para '97) fit in to their system - not a unibod but IHCD oldtimer ?
The AP levels are the equivalent to length of service, if you have 3yrs + then it's AP1, 5yrs + it's AP2 and 7yrs + it's AP3. Has to be as a Para tho, tech can't be included. So it's basically date from first reg with HPC (not sure how it stands outside UK). And it has to be continuous service.
Old May 18th 2011, 1:38 pm
Perth WA

Originally Posted by Zuluman7
Hi

I applied end of March 2011 and still have not heard anything. I have sent 2 emails and have had no response hopefully they received my application. I really want to go to western Australia.
Have you heard anything yet ??
Old May 19th 2011, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Zuluman7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

No i have heard nothing they don't even respond to emails have you heard anything ?
Old May 19th 2011, 1:43 pm
Perth WA

Nope nothing yet mind you I only sent application off 27th april. I'm a bit worried as I'm in my forties, been working outside the NHS (except when as a sub-contractor) for the last 5 years although still working as a paramedic and still on the register just not employed directly by a service anymore. I wonder if there are any others in my position ?
Old May 19th 2011, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Nope nothing yet mind you I only sent application off 27th april. I'm a bit worried as I'm in my forties, been working outside the NHS (except when as a sub-contractor) for the last 5 years although still working as a paramedic and still on the register just not employed directly by a service anymore. I wonder if there are any others in my position ?
Give HR a ring, they won't mind you ringing, as for worrying about upsetting them, don't!.....they are that busy with enquiries from employed staff etc that they won't hate you for it, LOL!
I used to ring them quite a bit with allsorts of questions
Old May 19th 2011, 6:55 pm
Perth WA

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Give HR a ring, they won't mind you ringing, as for worrying about upsetting them, don't!.....they are that busy with enquiries from employed staff etc that they won't hate you for it, LOL!
I used to ring them quite a bit with allsorts of questions
Cheers I'll give them a call and see what happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.