Reload this Page >

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

michael999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Goodbye UK......takehome pay w/o overtime is roughly $2400, that includes shift penalties, and deductions such as union fees and salary packaging fee ($13/fortnight).
Medically wise, as i'm a visitor from the UK (457 visa), we're covered under the reciprocal health care scheme, that's for emergencies only. We have private schemes for dental, critical illness cover etc, they aren't too expensive. Guess it's upto the individual on what private covers you require. Obviously things can change if you go for permanent residency.

Twinsdad.....Generally most people get a base station, but you work 8 wks at pretty much all the stations near, and not so near to you. You can elect to change your base station or put your name down for a permanent shift at one, but most here seem to like the rotation.
Not sure about mobile contracts and car finance, I put an Aussie vodafone pay as you go sim in my UK phone, works a treat! I know you can get car finance, but you have to take it out over a period shorter than your visa length (usually).
Bought car here cash/debit card, as they expect you to barter. If you shop around at the main dealers, you can get a really good deal. Works a treat when you tell them the car you want is too expensive and you're going to the garage down the road to pay cash for a similar vehicle!!
Thanks for the info IWTGO, it's all sounding good. Can I ask what grade you are to be taking home that salary each fortnight. I'm guessing AP3. Haggling down the car dealers sounds like good advice, the second hand car prices I have seen on the net look scary. Floating around a geographical region sounds pretty normal for newbies anywhere, but the mileage payments sound good. Our UK Trust ditched them recently and it makes a big difference. I also like the sound of the salary packaging scheme, but, is this available because the typical ambulance persons salary doesn't stretch far enough without assistance? Any clarification would be gratefully received. Sorry to bombard you with questions
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twinsdad
thanks for that, the pay sounds decent but I've heard that it's much more expensive to buy a car in Oz than the UK - looked at some used cars on-line and they do seem quite expensive.... Not sure I'm going to have that much spare cash to take out there with me....
Yeah, you see some really old cars here, and they are still priced at $2-3k for something like a 1990 reg. They don't rust or rot here, as roads are never needed to be gritted, no MoT's here either. Petrol is cheaper, about $1.30 per litre, it goes up at wkends, then drops on Mondays! Always fuel up on a Wed!!
I got a nice little Hyundai Getz for the wife to take kids to school (although I've ended up with it whilst she uses the main car), bought it from John Hughes at Victoria Park, Perth. They have some great used cars online, well worth checking out.
You have to pay stamp duty on cars here, about 3% of the value.
Take my advice, if you're buying privately, get the RAC or someone who knows about cars to check it out. You can easily get stung by buying what seems like a bargain, only to find it's a scrapper!!

For all of you coming over.......
Other nice to knows are things such as TV's. My UK TV's work here fine, inbuilt digital tuner works well. You can also get SD or HD set top boxes just incase you are unable to pick up all the freeview channels. Unblocked my DVD player, so it plays Aussie DVD's now.
Brought UK extension leads and power boards/multiple plug adaptors over with me. I just put an Aussie plug on the end and it saves buying new power leads for PC, TV, DVD player etc.
Aussie plugs aren't fused, they rely on trip switches at the fuse box that go when there is a surge, so you're safe. Although they trip when a lightbulb goes, which is a shock 1st time it happens
If you have sky or similar, then bring your HDMI leads with you, they are stupidly priced here for a good one!!
Also my UK wi-fi modem works here, glad I brought it, as most broadband firms here will charge you extra for them as they aren't often included in the deal.
It's all the little things that unexpectedly end up costing you more!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by michael999
Thanks for the info IWTGO, it's all sounding good. Can I ask what grade you are to be taking home that salary each fortnight. I'm guessing AP3. Haggling down the car dealers sounds like good advice, the second hand car prices I have seen on the net look scary. Floating around a geographical region sounds pretty normal for newbies anywhere, but the mileage payments sound good. Our UK Trust ditched them recently and it makes a big difference. I also like the sound of the salary packaging scheme, but, is this available because the typical ambulance persons salary doesn't stretch far enough without assistance? Any clarification would be gratefully received. Sorry to bombard you with questions
Hi, no probs....I'm an AP2.
Impression I got is salary packaging is a bonus due to being in the healthcare business, it's not avail to everyone. Seems to be avail to SJA, nurses etc.
I've come over here with wife, and kids. Wife not working at the moment, hardly done any o/t as I enjoy my days off too much . Seem to be managing pretty well at present.
Things are fairly expensive here, but shop around, even on groceries, and you'll be surprised what you can save. In Coles and Woolworths (Big supermarkets), they have deals that make my wife go every day
Also things seem expensive as the exchange rate is awful. Once you stop converting everything into £'s, and you will eventually, it's not that bad!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

michael999 is an unknown quantity at this point

IWGTO you are a superstar, thanks for the info. I can't wait!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by michael999
IWGTO you are a superstar, thanks for the info. I can't wait!
No worries! Let me know if you have any other q's!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Goodbye uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Iwgo. Thanks for the info. Can I ask your uk years as a para please, I'm 8 years para and am told I might go straight in at top level as t goes on time registered in uk??? As for uk £ conversion your bang on that it will make things seem expensive. I have family who moved over recently and I suggested they think of everything as tokens rather than £or $. for example uk fuel is about 1.30 tokens per litre and aus fuel is also 1.30 tokens per . When you think of the monthly take home of approx 5000 tokens compared to UK 2100 tokens this is a big saving on fuel. Other things are more expensive I'm told but if you use this system you can work out % take home for rent, food, car etc to give a better perspective than trying to convert £ and $ with the silly rates these days...... This only works if you are earning in aus of course and not for income earned in uk such as pension or if you are Renton a house here and moving to aus. Sorry for the waffling but this works for me..... Then again I am a crazy jock
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Goodbye uk
Iwgo. Thanks for the info. Can I ask your uk years as a para please, I'm 8 years para and am told I might go straight in at top level as t goes on time registered in uk??? As for uk £ conversion your bang on that it will make things seem expensive. I have family who moved over recently and I suggested they think of everything as tokens rather than £or $. for example uk fuel is about 1.30 tokens per litre and aus fuel is also 1.30 tokens per . When you think of the monthly take home of approx 5000 tokens compared to UK 2100 tokens this is a big saving on fuel. Other things are more expensive I'm told but if you use this system you can work out % take home for rent, food, car etc to give a better perspective than trying to convert £ and $ with the silly rates these days...... This only works if you are earning in aus of course and not for income earned in uk such as pension or if you are Renton a house here and moving to aus. Sorry for the waffling but this works for me..... Then again I am a crazy jock
Ha ha.....I get what you mean, it's a great way of looking at it. Especially as a UK Para earns approx gross £35k with USH, and here an AP3 is on approx gross $85k.
You'll get AP3 level with 7 years unbroken service in the UK or whatever country they recognise Paras from. They will ask for proof, such as commencement of service in the UK, AND end of service, e.g. termination letter from your old service, so they can check the dates etc.
I'll be getting AP3 later this year, as I'm just short of 7 years by a couple of months.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Zuluman7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks Hank2010 an I wan tee go oz loads of information really good and useful stuff to know.
How many people did you have on your induction courses ?
Do they pay double time for overtime or is this a flat rate ?
How are you finding the 14hr night shifts and 10 hr day shifts do they work well and crews very busy on nights.

Last edited by Zuluman7; Aug 25th 2011 at 4:27 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zuluman7
Hi

Thanks Hank2010 an I wan tee go oz loads of information really good and useful stuff to know.
How are you finding the 14hr night shifts and 10 hr day shifts do they work well and crews very busy on nights.
No probs.....
There were about 12 on my course.
O/T is double time
Depends what station you're at as to whether nights are busy. Some stations are single veh at night, so you're always on the bell. Some have 2 or rarely 3 on nights, so you can get a bit of down time. Very much varies.
Personally, going from 12hr days & nights, I don't really find a prob with the longer nights. Shorter days do seem better to me.
Ask me that last question again after xmas and the new year, you might get a different answer!!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

HANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Zuluman7
Hi

I had 2 others on my induction as others couldnt get visas in time. Yep double time for any overtime and late finishes which means $$$$$ but you cant do overtime for the first 8 weeks on the road.
Im finding the shifts easy, sleeping in a bed each night for around 5 hrs on a night shift has helped! I have been lucky though and not al stations are as quiet.

So wheres everyone upto? Anybody starting in Sept/Oct?
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Already_an_Aussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
No probs.....
There were about 12 on my course.
O/T is double time
Depends what station you're at as to whether nights are busy. Some stations are single veh at night, so you're always on the bell. Some have 2 or rarely 3 on nights, so you can get a bit of down time. Very much varies.
Personally, going from 12hr days & nights, I don't really find a prob with the longer nights. Shorter days do seem better to me.
Ask me that last question again after xmas and the new year, you might get a different answer!!
Hi Guys,

My wife and i and our two year old son are hoping to move there very soon, we are waiting for the final video call. I was born in Australia so no problem with immigration etc. We have been waiting 3 weeks so far for the date...still no news. For those of you concerned about length of time for recruitment...we started in March so don't worry.

So my question is has anyone else been told they are hoping to have courses in December or February? We are aiming for December. Also any hints on the VC would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers
Dave
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:52 pm
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Already_an_Aussie
Hi Guys,

My wife and i and our two year old son are hoping to move there very soon, we are waiting for the final video call. I was born in Australia so no problem with immigration etc. We have been waiting 3 weeks so far for the date...still no news. For those of you concerned about length of time for recruitment...we started in March so don't worry.

So my question is has anyone else been told they are hoping to have courses in December or February? We are aiming for December. Also any hints on the VC would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers
Dave
A day or two before your VC, phone up the people who are providing the venue and equipment and make sure they have someone there who knows how to work it - was supposed to have mine last week and am now waiting for another date because the place hosting mine employ staff who didn't know how to work the equipment - was hoping for December but now every week delayed means that is less and less likely :curse:
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi Twinsdad,

Yeah i saw your earlier post about that so thats a def mate. who is sorting that out for you? So they told you the same about Dec and Feb. That's reassuring, we're all ready to go now house ready to rent with tenants lined up etc...just need the date. Your not from around Yorkshire are you? It seems we have to go to London for everything.

Everyday is e mail checking time. Still we may end up on same course dude
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Ha ha mate.....
Yeah sent my availability too so will see. I have family out there already but thinking of staying on a campsite near by in belmont for eight weeks in a caravan. (I have looked online and its only about $1000 dollars for the month which isn't alot really as all bills included). Also swimming pool etc for the wife and my son to keep them entertained. treat it as a mini holiday...

Well keep us updated good luck on VC
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:41 pm
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Already_an_Aussie
Ha ha mate.....
Yeah sent my availability too so will see. I have family out there already but thinking of staying on a campsite near by in belmont for eight weeks in a caravan. (I have looked online and its only about $1000 dollars for the month which isn't alot really as all bills included). Also swimming pool etc for the wife and my son to keep them entertained. treat it as a mini holiday...

Well keep us updated good luck on VC
That's an excellent idea ! I may do the same - would you mind pming me a link so I can check it out ? I'll def keep you updated - good luck and don't stress it - there have been some very encouraging posts from the guys already out there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.