Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Zuluman7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA

Sound like a beer will be well deserved at the end of the day I think you will be doing that conference interview in no time. How many others peeps on here are already in OZ ? and how many still waiting ? got to find something to pass the time !
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Goodbye uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Twinsdad..... Sorry to hear about your adventures today. You'll sit down over a cold beer in aus and look back, laugh and wonder what you worried about. I like the idea of meeting up if we all get over. I'm still waiting for my initial tel interview 2 weeks after sending the requested list if dates I'm available. I think we should all accept that they are a busy bunch and mornings going to happen overnight now...... All the more enjoyable when we jump on the plane eventually. It's a good idea Zulu man to start getting some info from those who have moved recently. I for one am now as keen as ever but can'take any final plans as I have no idea if I'm looking at 6 months or 2 years.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twinsdad
Thanks guys
Mixed emotions really at the moment, on the one hand I'm aware that compared to some I'm pretty lucky to have got this far in 'only' four months when a lot of people have been processing their applications for very much longer; but then again I was really psyched up this morning and looking forward to the application process being pretty much over and then hopefully getting down to some serious planning. When I realised it had gone belly-up I felt massively deflated. Is it just me or does anyone else find this nerve wracking ? The business centre said they'd lost some staff, have lots of new staff that weren't fully trained, were checking their equipment blah blah blah. I didn't say anything but did want to swear a lot
Hey ho - back to checking my emails as soon as I wake up every morning or last thing at the end of nights
By the way - would be good to have some feedback from guys out there about the day to day life as an Aussie 'ambo', how they've found settling in, finding somewhere to live etc etc. If we do get out there we'll all have to hook up for a beer
Knowing how many people SJA have video conferenced, they will be well used to transmission probs.
I had mine back in November, and it was delayed by an hour as the call would not connect. When it finally worked, it was a relaxed interview, with a few questions, mainly on how well prepared I was for the move, and a couple of STAR questions as mentioned by hater earlier. I also had the chance to ask loads of q's, such as confirming AP1,2 or 3 status etc and what stations I'd be at.
By the time you get to the video conference, they've already made up their mind

Good luck
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Zuluman7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I wan tee go oz

How are you enjoying life in OZ is it all its cracked up to be ?
Would you be able to give me a brief outline of the scope of practice, also skills gained and lost from the UK. How far do you have to travel when changing base stations every 8 weeks or are they relatively local ?
How did you find the induction course was it intense ?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

michael999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Zuluman, you asked how I was getting along. No change I am afraid, I am at the same position as before, awaiting to hear if I have a physical exam and a video interview. I have tried emailing several HR/Recruitment folk for an update but no replies to date. I tried ringing last week and spoke to a friendly HR person but was very politely fobbed off with the promise of being called back or emailed an update. No reply to date. I guess I just have to be very patient, which is hard because we all want this very much. Beers in Perth sound like a most civilised thing to do
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

HANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really niceHANK2010 is just really nice

Hi All,

As previously said anybody who is getting to the video conference interview need not worry as they will already have made their mind up that they want you.

Ive just completed my conversion course and have been out on the road for a week now. The course is not intense, its really laid back and as long as your quick to learn drug protocols you will be fine.

I have not looked back since getting here, money is great and everyone i have met has been very nice. One thing is for sure, i am NEVER going back to the UK.

Good luck to all that are nearly there, patience is the key
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:50 pm
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HANK2010
Hi All,

As previously said anybody who is getting to the video conference interview need not worry as they will already have made their mind up that they want you.

Ive just completed my conversion course and have been out on the road for a week now. The course is not intense, its really laid back and as long as your quick to learn drug protocols you will be fine.

I have not looked back since getting here, money is great and everyone i have met has been very nice. One thing is for sure, i am NEVER going back to the UK.

Good luck to all that are nearly there, patience is the key
Good to hear you're enjoying it

Thanks for the postings re my experience with the business centre guys - do feel reassured by what I've read. I'm still waiting for a new VC date. The sort of questions I want answered are what level I'll be - got my bag in '97, where my main station will be - so I know where to look for somewhere to live for the family, how easy it is to get finance for a car, (won't ask about the car at the VC though ). Not too worried about learning new drug protocols but am looking forward to getting out on one of their trucks and seeing how they work and what the comparisons are to the UK. Definitely have to get together for that beer
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

michael999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hank, good to hear it's going really well for you. Good on yer!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zuluman7
Hi I wan tee go oz

How are you enjoying life in OZ is it all its cracked up to be ?
Would you be able to give me a brief outline of the scope of practice, also skills gained and lost from the UK. How far do you have to travel when changing base stations every 8 weeks or are they relatively local ?
How did you find the induction course was it intense ?
Hi Zuluman,
It's great here. Although we're just coming out of Winter, and had quite a bit of rain, still had several days of decent weather. WA is an expensive place to live, but the pay here is good and once you start salary packaging etc, things are much easier.
Scope of practice is v.similar to the UK. Lost a few drugs, but also gained a few better ones.
You can travel a long way or be lucky and travel a short distance when changing roster every 8 weeks. Although they do try and keep you fairly near where you live, but isn't always possible. I'm renting in an area where I wanted to be long before I started to think about rosters, and haven't (as yet) travelled more than 30 mins to work.
Induction course was great, like Hank said, learn your drugs, that's the biggie!! Written and practical (OSCE) exams are the same as in UK.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:54 am
Perth WA

Twinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud ofTwinsdad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Hi Zuluman,
It's great here. Although we're just coming out of Winter, and had quite a bit of rain, still had several days of decent weather. WA is an expensive place to live, but the pay here is good and once you start salary packaging etc, things are much easier.
Scope of practice is v.similar to the UK. Lost a few drugs, but also gained a few better ones.
You can travel a long way or be lucky and travel a short distance when changing roster every 8 weeks. Although they do try and keep you fairly near where you live, but isn't always possible. I'm renting in an area where I wanted to be long before I started to think about rosters, and haven't (as yet) travelled more than 30 mins to work.
Induction course was great, like Hank said, learn your drugs, that's the biggie!! Written and practical (OSCE) exams are the same as in UK.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck
Glad that you're enjoying it out there Was it easy enough to get a rental place ? We've been looking at loads of properties in Perth and it looks like you get much more for your money than here in the UK. What is salary packaging, are you on a reduced rate while doing the induction training?
Old Aug 25th 2011, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Glad that you're enjoying it out there Was it easy enough to get a rental place ? We've been looking at loads of properties in Perth and it looks like you get much more for your money than here in the UK. What is salary packaging, are you on a reduced rate while doing the induction training?
Hi Twinsdad,

Wasn't too bad getting a rental. Looked at 7 or 8 properties, applied for 6 and was accepted on 3 of them.
There are pitfalls....such as you have to view to apply, which is good in a way, especially as the internet/letting agent photos can make a horrendous property look great! Also, some, but not all, require you to put down an option fee of 1 weeks rent when applying, if you aren't successful, you get it back, but if you are and you then withdraw your application, you'll lose your money.
There are some awesome properties around, especially away from the city, e.g. Joondalup (N of city) or South, e.g. Rockingham way, and I did a fair bit of travelling to view them in the 2 weeks I had here before family joined me.
You're on basic pay during classroom induction, then when you hit the road, even on induction, you'll get your AP1,2 or 3 status and extras such as shift allowance, late job overtime etc. Milage allowance and doing full shifts of overtime are only after you've completed your full induction.
Salary packaging or salary sacrifice is an option open to SJA employees, it's where you can have upto approx $9k per annum taken from your wage before tax is deducted, you then get it back afterwards. E.g. paid fortnightly here, so I get $400 ish deducted on my wageslip (I started partway through the year so it won't always be this amount), then the day after the salary packing company pay it back to me, so i'm not taxed on that money. I save around $100 a fortnight in tax, sweet!
You can also have variations, such as the money paid onto a credit card that you use for grocery shopping etc.

Hope the process goes well for you, let us know if you have any other q's
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Goodbye uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Twinsdad,

Wasn't too bad getting a rental. Looked at 7 or 8 properties, applied for 6 and was accepted on 3 of them.
There are pitfalls....such as you have to view to apply, which is good in a way, especially as the internet/letting agent photos can make a horrendous property look great! Also, some, but not all, require you to put down an option fee of 1 weeks rent when applying, if you aren't successful, you get it back, but if you are and you then withdraw your application, you'll lose your money.
There are some awesome properties around, especially away from the city, e.g. Joondalup (N of city) or South, e.g. Rockingham way, and I did a fair bit of travelling to view them in the 2 weeks I had here before family joined me.
You're on basic pay during classroom induction, then when you hit the road, even on induction, you'll get your AP1,2 or 3 status and extras such as shift allowance, late job overtime etc. Milage allowance and doing full shifts of overtime are only after you've completed your full induction.
Salary packaging or salary sacrifice is an option open to SJA employees, it's where you can have upto approx $9k per annum taken from your wage before tax is deducted, you then get it back afterwards. E.g. paid fortnightly here, so I get $400 ish deducted on my wageslip (I started partway through the year so it won't always be this amount), then the day after the salary packing company pay it back to me, so i'm not taxed on that money. I save around $100 a fortnight in tax, sweet!
You can also have variations, such as the money paid onto a credit card that you use for grocery shopping etc.

Hope the process goes well for you, let us know if you have any other q's
Some good info there iwgto. Could you give us an idea of fortnightly take home without overtime please. It would be very useful to strt budgeting. If you prefer you can pm this rather than on a general board. How is the Medical insurance? Do you always have a percentage to pay or do some insurances cover all bills ( hopefully we won't need this ) thanks again and hopefully buy you a beer next year
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:35 am
Perth WA

Originally Posted by Goodbye uk
Some good info there iwgto. Could you give us an idea of fortnightly take home without overtime please. It would be very useful to strt budgeting. If you prefer you can pm this rather than on a general board. How is the Medical insurance? Do you always have a percentage to pay or do some insurances cover all bills ( hopefully we won't need this ) thanks again and hopefully buy you a beer next year
IWGTO - Cheers for that, very helpful ! Do they tell you where your main station will be or do you get some choice in the matter? I quite fancy looking at places a little out of the city centre because as you say some of the properties are excellent and you get more for your money I've heard that getting a mobile phone on contract is more difficult than getting a car on finance - is that true ?
Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

IWGTO - Cheers for that, very helpful ! Do they tell you where your main station will be or do you get some choice in the matter? I quite fancy looking at places a little out of the city centre because as you say some of the properties are excellent and you get more for your money I've heard that getting a mobile phone on contract is more difficult than getting a car on finance - is that true ?
Goodbye UK......takehome pay w/o overtime is roughly $2400, that includes shift penalties, and deductions such as union fees and salary packaging fee ($13/fortnight).
Medically wise, as i'm a visitor from the UK (457 visa), we're covered under the reciprocal health care scheme, that's for emergencies only. We have private schemes for dental, critical illness cover etc, they aren't too expensive. Guess it's upto the individual on what private covers you require. Obviously things can change if you go for permanent residency.

Twinsdad.....Generally most people get a base station, but you work 8 wks at pretty much all the stations near, and not so near to you. You can elect to change your base station or put your name down for a permanent shift at one, but most here seem to like the rotation.
Not sure about mobile contracts and car finance, I put an Aussie vodafone pay as you go sim in my UK phone, works a treat! I know you can get car finance, but you have to take it out over a period shorter than your visa length (usually).
Bought car here cash/debit card, as they expect you to barter. If you shop around at the main dealers, you can get a really good deal. Works a treat when you tell them the car you want is too expensive and you're going to the garage down the road to pay cash for a similar vehicle!!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:39 pm
Perth WA

Goodbye UK......takehome pay w/o overtime is roughly $2400, that includes shift penalties, and deductions such as union fees and salary packaging fee ($13/fortnight).
Medically wise, as i'm a visitor from the UK (457 visa), we're covered under the reciprocal health care scheme, that's for emergencies only. We have private schemes for dental, critical illness cover etc, they aren't too expensive. Guess it's upto the individual on what private covers you require. Obviously things can change if you go for permanent residency.

Twinsdad.....Generally most people get a base station, but you work 8 wks at pretty much all the stations near, and not so near to you. You can elect to change your base station or put your name down for a permanent shift at one, but most here seem to like the rotation.
Not sure about mobile contracts and car finance, I put an Aussie vodafone pay as you go sim in my UK phone, works a treat! I know you can get car finance, but you have to take it out over a period shorter than your visa length (usually).
Bought car here cash/debit card, as they expect you to barter. If you shop around at the main dealers, you can get a really good deal. Works a treat when you tell them the car you want is too expensive and you're going to the garage down the road to pay cash for a similar vehicle!!
thanks for that, the pay sounds decent but I've heard that it's much more expensive to buy a car in Oz than the UK - looked at some used cars on-line and they do seem quite expensive.... Not sure I'm going to have that much spare cash to take out there with me....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.