Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

West vs East Melbourne

West vs East Melbourne

Old Mar 8th 2005, 8:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: West vs East Melbourne

Originally Posted by hevs
I'm sorry but i'm lost. I was a way away from analogys mate, seeing the key board was a struggle
I'll vouch for that!! Neither of us could even SAY analogy, never mind make one
Old Mar 8th 2005, 8:53 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
Yes there are scummy parts of the inner N and W areas. But so there are in other directions (Dandenong anyone? Not even an inner suburb either, so it loses on two counts).
Exactly, and i always make sure that i let people who ask know the areas to avoid that are less desirable
There's a lot more to the Greater Melbourne area than the endless dreary homogeneous SE suburbs that sprawl further every year.
Exactly. And thats why its great living where we do because we can get to an awful lots of Melbournes/ Vics delights quickly easily conveinently and safely. I wasn't saying the whole of the North and West of the city were dumps, just there are, like anywhere, areas to be avoided in the inner parts of the city. Do you feel better now you've called where i live sterile?
Old Mar 8th 2005, 8:55 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
And what's wrong with Bradford may I ask
Nothin now you've left
Old Mar 8th 2005, 9:02 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I really am not fond of the W/NW parts of Melbourne. I just find them too industrial for my liking.

I think thats maybe what i was trying to say

If i offended anyone then i am sorry, but to tell someone to live in the INNER west burbs is, to me, still wrong and that was my point. But each to there own. You westies keep telling us all about it, its nice to hear how it really is overthere!!
Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmahafryn
Hi Mark,

Nice to see you defending us Westernites! I must be honest, when I moved to Melbourne I had absolutely no intention of moving to the West. The reputation alone was enough to put me off and I was happy in the SE - Camberwell, Hawthorn and Armadale for the first year - until we started looking into buying.

The fact is your dollar/pound goes a hell of a lot further the other side of the city whether you are buying or renting and when I saw the sort of house and lifestyle I could have the other side of the bridge I quickly started replacing hearsay with research! I really like the SE suburbs but I certainly don't miss the traffic jams, parking tickets and noise. We would have to live even further from the city in order to afford something decent and even then it's pretty pricey.

We moved out to Sanctuary Lakes, Point Cook 6 months ago and are renting a beautiful house on the river while we build our own across the rd near the golf course. It's probably not for everyone but we adore the place and it's super-family friendly. The main thing we noticed was the masses of open space and it's so quiet! Coming from the UK made us really appreciate this. Our homes in the SE had been lovely in their own way but there was certainly no more room than we could have afforded in the UK. Point Cook is also right on the coast and close to the country so you can't really go wrong IMHO!

You should also bear in mind that geography doesn't necessarily dictate commuting time. When we lived in Camberwell it would take me an hour to get into the city if I drove. Armadale was pretty much the same and while it is admittedly only a short journey on the train, that definietly has it's downsides too! These suburbs are only a few kms from the CBD but the conjestion and tram-situation is so horrible it takes an age to get anywhere. We now live 20kms from the city and it takes 35mins to get in and that's in rush hour!

In retrospect I'm glad we started out in the SE as it's probably easier to integrate there at first due to the social scene- that's a bit lacking where we are now, as it's not yet very established- but I certainly wouldn't want to live in the SE again. We were lucky as we don't have kids so there wasn't much upheaval but that would be more difficult for you I guess.

At the end of the day it's a purely personal choice. I have friends who adore the suburbs and think we are quite mad but I can't stand to live in such a confined space having tried something else. If you want serious value for money, a great lifestyle and the type of house I had only seen in magazines, look at spending your bucks in the West. If a thriving society and busy space interest you, you might like the SE more.

Sorry, I've waffled on quite enough! Off for my lunch now.
Emma

Interesting to read about how things are going in SL's. Are you renting inside SL's itself or outside in the new Pt Cook estates? We've visited SL's every year since it started (frequent users of the cafe in the Rec club, now renamed Waterstone I hear and the main clubhouse and we also seriously considered buying there on a couple of occasions before deciding on my home suburb of Williamstown). It is amazing to see how much more established the place looks when you visit on an annual basis! I bet the shopping mall at the entrance is kicking on in leaps and bounds (nice Coles New World there).

Anyway, getting back to the thread (which I thought was about western suburbs vs eastern suburbs of Melbourne but is actually about Geelong or Mornington); I'm biased but it is ludicrous to label all western suburbs in the same way. Much of the garbage you hear about the western suburbs is from people who haven't actually been across the WG Bridge (or Docklands Hwy, formerly New Footscray Rd) or haven't been recently. I'm not talking about the expats who tend to get around a bit but some 'locals' who stay their side of the city much of their life. I realise also that there is more industry (hence jobs) and lower average incomes in parts of the western 'burbs.

I don't think anyone could say the view on the eastern side of the bay is better than that at Williamstown - you get the bay, CBD and seaside suburbs, the Dandenongs and the Great Dividing Range. Have a look from Brighton and you get the bay, a sideways view of the the CBD and ... the open sea (You Yangs on a clear day). Like for like, the property is much better VFM, the commute times are much better (20 mins 'tops' by road, similar by train).

I don't know how someone can get to the CBD from Mornington in less than an hour (it's 13 k's on from Frankston which usually takes me an hour at least to get to and from)?

I like Mornington Peninsula and Geelong/Bellarine Peninsula a lot, they're just too far out for my particular liking. If you don't need the city and can find work nearby they are worth considering.

OzTennis
Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I think thats maybe what i was trying to say

If i offended anyone then i am sorry, but to tell someone to live in the INNER west burbs is, to me, still wrong and that was my point. But each to there own. You westies keep telling us all about it, its nice to hear how it really is overthere!!

At least we have some balance now

Like you said each to their own.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:51 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

thought it was going to be fisticuffs at dawn then!
Old Mar 8th 2005, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
thought it was going to be fisticuffs at dawn then!

Lol, I for one cannot be arsed, as I'm orf to work in about 5 mins. Where ones lives is obviously personal taste. I can understand that people would not travel 12.5 K miles to find something as similar to where they came from as possible. I've realised Via this thread, That the reason I came to Aussie is primarily to be with my Aussie born wife, who told me very early on that she would never live in England. The reason I personally like the inner city Burbs, of Melbourne, Is they give a familiar feeling from whence I came, only better. It was this thread that actually made me fully realise that.

So one learns something everyday
As for E v W of Melbourne debate. It's not the same kind of arguing material, as projecting that the whole of Aussie gets low pay is it
Old Mar 8th 2005, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

This is very timely as we will be heading to Melbourne mid/end April. Whilst I am flexible as to where we live, Pam will be based in the CBD and so her commute has a bearing on where we live. The plan is to rent on the Southbank for 6 - 12 months and then buy somewhere. We had been concentrating on the South East suburbs down to Cheltenham, but have recently been looking to the Western suburbs.

My eye was caught by Sanctuary Lakes as I am a keen golfer (although I understand it is not a cheap membership) but I am still not sure how good an option it is for Pam in terms of commuting. We both like the houses we have seen there on realestate.com.au and like the idea of the security as we will both be travelling with our jobs. I also really like the look of Williamstown, although affording somewhere looks um, challenging . Can you commute from Williamstown by ferry ?

Until we get there and scout around we won't really know what will suit us best, but I have to say I am being swayed towards the West.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 11:26 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Do you feel better now you've called where i live sterile?
I wasn't talking about where you live. What gave you that idea? I couldn't and wouldn't, I've never been there. You know the kind of areas I mean, I bet you've driven through them often enough.

And no-one here has said "the western suburbs are great" without qualifying which areas they meant.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 11:31 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

If i offended anyone then i am sorry, but to tell someone to live in the INNER west burbs is, to me, still wrong and that was my point.
And equally wrong to tell someone not to live in them. Some of them, yes, others, no, and the same for the east and the north and the south (oh no that's all sea though, glub glub glub). East versus west is not the issue, neither is inner versus outer.

Oh, and it isn't about not offending people. It's about providing useful info for people who haven't got here yet and have no idea where's where. I have no problem with telling them to avoid Sunshine and Dandenong equally! (I'm sure your neck of the woods is lovely, but then again you wouldn't want them all descending on you either!)

Last edited by MarkMyWords; Mar 8th 2005 at 11:36 am.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkMyWords
And equally wrong to tell someone not to live in them. Some of them, yes, others, no, and the same for the east and the north and the south (oh no that's all sea though, glub glub glub). East versus west is not the issue, neither is inner versus outer.

Oh, and it isn't about not offending people. It's about providing useful info for people who haven't got here yet and have no idea where's where. I have no problem with telling them to avoid Sunshine and Dandenong equally! (I'm sure your neck of the woods is lovely, but then again you wouldn't want them all descending on you either!)
OMG it's Mark again!

I REALLY hate to say it though Hevs but he has one valid point...this area you and I call home is so beautiful, let's stop blabbing about it on here before the whole of Britain descends on us :scared: Send them all to the West I say.

It's definitely beautiful that side everybody, beautiful Uh, URBAN kind of planning with a delighful view. Definitely for the descerning kind of buyer. Go, go, go...
Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting debate.

I've just cancelled a motel in Werribee for one in Ringwood. Better choice of schools, more jobs on the east side when I do the jobsite searches BUT you get more house for your money at Werribee and surroundings. Plus, Werribee SC looks OK.

Got this funny feeling I'll be looking at Werribee when we arrive and doing my own east v west comparion.

Re schools, the arc from Ringwood to Glen Waverley is full of decent gov't schools: Norwood, Ringwood, Vermont, Brentwood, Highvale, Wantirna, Wheelers Hill and Glen Waverley.

Given I keep going over old ground best I wait til I get there before deciding me thinks - best way to stop the headaches!

Go0d debate - all opinions welcome. In the time I have been reading the forums this picture of the wild, wild, west has been one-sided so good to see the cowboys fighting back.

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:09 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Not offended here, I knew what you meant.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 6:16 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
PS we visted both Geelong and Mornington and they are both absolutely gorgeous, but in my opinion Mornington is nicest, I think its so nice I might even get married there!

laura
x
Don't forget me when sending your invites!!!

D D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.