Reload this Page >

Is West Sydney that bad??

Is West Sydney that bad??

Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

vitoriano700 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is West Sydney that bad??

Hi,

I really really need some advice since my family and I are going to move to West Sydney -my new work location will be in the city of Penrith. I have just been there once, so I would love to know any advice on places to live and schools for the education of my children.

Penrith did not look very appealing to me, there should be much better places for a family. Ideally, we would love to be close to the coast, but it seems too far from work. I heard that blue mountains is beautiful, but expensive too. Anyway, I would much appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance for your comment,
Brian
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Is West Sydney that bad??

Some parts can be bad but others are OK. I lived in Erskine Park and St Clair for many years, just a bit east of Penrith, and brought up our child till the age of 6 around there. Schooling was good, at a little private school in Mt Druitt, that suburb has a bad reputation, but it wasn't really as bad as some people make it sound.

Penrith shopping was pretty good, although I left the area in 2002, so not sure how much it has changed, although we have friends still in the area, who are quite happy there.

You do need to look around the area, and make the correct location choice, because the wrong choice can be very bad, but you can normally tell quite easily. I wouldn't choose to live in Penrith itself, although I guess there will be some good areas.

The area isn't as good as where I am now, but that is only to be expected.

If I was moving back their I would be looking at Windsor, but not Bligh Park, maybe even Cranebrook, I saw some nice places there before. But Erskine Park would probably still suit, although I couldn't really move back now, I am REALLY settled here in QLD.

Old Feb 25th 2011, 8:33 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Penrith is a dump but there are some nice places in the mountains nearby.

And there is the Panthers for a class night out.

http://penrith.panthers.com.au/Home
Old Feb 25th 2011, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Western Sydney isn't as bad as some people make it out to be and in all honesty I relate better to people from the Western part of Sydney rather than the uber style police of the so called trendy Eastern Suburbs. I always found places like Mosman and Neutral Bay cold and unwelcoming and full of cliquey groups (especially yummy mummy groups as my wife calls them). I feel sorry for the stressed out people you often see trying to keep up with the Jones in those places, just let it go.

I find many parts of Western Sydney more down to earth and family focused, there is no fakeness out there, what you see is what you get, it feels warmer and friendlier for that I always think.

There are of course places that are best avoided like any region. I could name a few places North, East and South of Sydney I would rather avoid if at all possible.

Maybe it is because I come from the North of England that I like out that way, the people remind me of home. The people in other areas of Sydney remind me of Southerners in England.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 9:38 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you found chips and gravy? Warmer is certainly true by 5 - 10C.

Eastern Suburbs has its charms. North Shore is the dead bit, especially snives.
Originally Posted by Jon77
Western Sydney isn't as bad as some people make it out to be and in all honesty I relate better to people from the Western part of Sydney rather than the uber style police of the so called trendy Eastern Suburbs. I always found places like Mosman and Neutral Bay cold and unwelcoming and full of cliquey groups (especially yummy mummy groups as my wife calls them). I feel sorry for the stressed out people you often see trying to keep up with the Jones in those places, just let it go.

I find many parts of Western Sydney more down to earth and family focused, there is no fakeness out there, what you see is what you get, it feels warmer and friendlier for that I always think.

There are of course places that are best avoided like any region. I could name a few places North, East and South of Sydney I would rather avoid if at all possible.

Maybe it is because I come from the North of England that I like out that way, the people remind me of home. The people in other areas of Sydney remind me of Southerners in England.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Have you found chips and gravy? Warmer is certainly true by 5 - 10C.

Eastern Suburbs has its charms. North Shore is the dead bit, especially snives.
Exactly the kind of response I was expecting Funny how people immediatley stereotype lol, I don't mind this personally, I can take it as a joke.

People look down on the Westies like people in the UK look down on us northerners.

No one likes us, and we don't care :

Personally I welcome the bad reputation that some people give the western part of Sydney, keeps the snobs out ;-)

Last edited by Jon77; Feb 25th 2011 at 10:08 am.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vitoriano700
Hi,

I really really need some advice since my family and I are going to move to West Sydney -my new work location will be in the city of Penrith. I have just been there once, so I would love to know any advice on places to live and schools for the education of my children.

Penrith did not look very appealing to me, there should be much better places for a family. Ideally, we would love to be close to the coast, but it seems too far from work. I heard that blue mountains is beautiful, but expensive too. Anyway, I would much appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance for your comment,
Brian

You could also look at the Hills District. It's a good family area with some of the best schools in Sydney. The commute to Penrith is easy.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

steve_chal is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife got a job in Penrith before we moved from the UK, so we checked out the Hills district as its about halfway between the beaches / CBD and Penrith. It takes her between 30 / 45 minutes to commute in the mornings. We live in a great neighborhood and feel it is an excellent compromise between the city and the far west.

PM me if you want more details.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Western Sydney is a big place so its difficult to respond here. Penrith is ok- I have friends and relatives who've lived there for years (in South Penrith) and love the place. Also check out nearby Glenmore Park for newer housing.

I'd ditto the comments on the Hills area- about half an hr from Penrith but closer to the city. Best of luck with it all