Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

West Midlands meet (B'ham, solihull, Coventry etc)

West Midlands meet (B'ham, solihull, Coventry etc)

Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:17 am
Just Joined

storm trooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default West Midlands meet (B'ham, solihull, Coventry etc)

We live south of Birmingham and would love to meet up with people who are in a similar position to ours to discuss ideas and share thoughts, worries etc.

My self, wife and 2 young kids were granted visa to move to Australia middle of 2009. We followed the 175 route. Problem now is the exchange rate - its bad - We are waiting for it to improve before firming any plans. We are going to activate in April 10 and then wait for £ to improve.

Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: West Midlands meet (B'ham, solihull, Coventry etc)

Originally Posted by storm trooper
We live south of Birmingham and would love to meet up with people who are in a similar position to ours to discuss ideas and share thoughts, worries etc.

My self, wife and 2 young kids were granted visa to move to Australia middle of 2009. We followed the 175 route. Problem now is the exchange rate - its bad - We are waiting for it to improve before firming any plans. We are going to activate in April 10 and then wait for £ to improve.

Don't do it, Australia is overrated.

I did nine years there, nine years too long, if you want sunshine move to Spain , learn another language , improve yourself ...and if you need to get back to Blighty it's not far and not at all expensive.

Europe is far more diverse and interesting than Australia , trust me you will get bored after a while , then trapped financially ...could be a nightmare.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

hey we're in exactly the same position
have to activate before end of april
right now trying to get house ready to put on market so we can sell
we are also south birm! family of 4 with 2 young children!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

storm trooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MDawson
Don't do it, Australia is overrated.

I did nine years there, nine years too long, if you want sunshine move to Spain , learn another language , improve yourself ...and if you need to get back to Blighty it's not far and not at all expensive.

Europe is far more diverse and interesting than Australia , trust me you will get bored after a while , then trapped financially ...could be a nightmare.
I suppose your perspective / feelings do also depend on your personal circumstances: Job, cash, family, why u wish to move...

Have u moved back to UK now? ... where did u live in aus and can you be specific what has made you feel so negative?

Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

I suppose your perspective / feelings do also depend on your personal circumstances: Job, cash, family, why u wish to move...

Have u moved back to UK now? ... where did u live in aus and can you be specific what has made you feel so negative?

Sorry , wasn't intending to make you feel negative, just that I personally didn't really enjoy Australia.
I lived in Sydney to start with, my wife is Australian and we married in Sydney, met her over here .
We lived in Sydney for 18 months and Brisbane for about 8 years.
I didn't go to Oz on a skills visa , I worked within an industrial environment but mostly in a Laboratory based role.
I found the Aussies that I worked with to be very negative about anything English and of course you have to get used to being a "pommy bastard " or "pommy turd" or just a whingeing pom even when you haven't complained
about anything in particular.

Of course most of it is just meant in fun but it does irritate after a while.

But maybe that was just a case of working with a lower class of the Australian culture, or maybe I'm just too proud to be English and let it get to me.
I'm also a person who likes to get out into the countryside , just plain simple walking , something thats harder to do in Australia , you may think it's a big place but the only real place to walk is in parks , of course if you drove for miles and miles out of the city , Sydney or Brisbane you will find open space, but believe me you won't be able to walk in it unless you take your machetti and survival gear.

I found also that they are just too jingoistic , bit like Americans , the media in Oz is very much Aussie this and Aussie that , very one sided , far more than the UK honestly !

Of course they get lots of sun , it's certainly very hot in Brisbane in the summer , I had to work in well over 40 degrees under a tin roof....stinking hot.

I just wish people would look at other options when wanting a milder,warmer climate, what about Spain or the South of France , I know you have to learn another language but hey thats a string to your bow.
Then it's much easier to pop back to England without using all your savings and using up all your anual leave from work.

England /UK is not such a bad place , everyone here complains but Australia isn't really a fix for all your problems.

I spoke to English people whilst I was in Australia who wanted to return to the UK but couldn't due to financial ties, they just end up living a false life.

Again I am sorry if this isn't what you want to hear , but it is my experience .

I just have to tell it the way it is.

Old Mar 16th 2010, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

broz is an unknown quantity at this point

Same as last reply really my parents went to oz from birmingham when i was 5years old. Absolutley love everything about oz ... but I left when I was 38 and travelled the world, ended up settling down in Bournville and wont be going back to Oz, I miss it sometimes but you are very isolated there. Also work is an entriely different kettle of fish. There is more variety here, there is sun an heat close by. You can give your kids a more diverse education in UK and a trip to Europe is so cheap.
The only bit of advice I can give people leaving for oz is never sell you house here ... I owned my own house in oz, without mortgage. I move here and buy half the size house with huge mortgage. Financially it's a one way trip if you completely sell up here.
Broz
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:41 am
Just Joined

PeterWiles is just really nicePeterWiles is just really nicePeterWiles is just really nicePeterWiles is just really nicePeterWiles is just really nicePeterWiles is just really nicePeterWiles is just really nicePeterWiles is just really nice

Hi folks,
I live in central Brum and looking at moving in the next few years.
Have you finally planned your move yet?

Pete
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PeterWiles
Hi folks,
I live in central Brum and looking at moving in the next few years.
Have you finally planned your move yet?

Pete
I'm not the right person to discuss this with, if I had my time again I would have moved to the South of France , sunshine and close to home (UK)
Old May 26th 2010, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Tez and Daz will become famous soon enoughTez and Daz will become famous soon enough

Been in Oz nearly two years and love it, just sold the house in uk (even made a profit!!) though will leave money there until exchange rate is better
Just my opinion but so far have found all the ozzies lovely, work easy enough to get and a fab place to bring up a family.
On the downside its a long way from family and friends but we knew that before we left, still you do miss them and shit its expensive to go back and visit
Still, wouldn't change a thing, happy happy happy.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old May 26th 2010, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Each to there own I guess,

I just found many Aussies to be anti-English ....the media in Oz is very bad for that.

I suppose you have to give away all your Englishness ? and be prepared to be just a Pom and all that goes with it.
Old May 28th 2010, 2:16 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Can we keep this forum on topic please. If you want to get into a discussion about what you don't like about Australia then please could you do it in the other forums as this one is for members to arrange meet-ups etc.

Many thanks

Sue
Old May 31st 2010, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Can we keep this forum on topic please. If you want to get into a discussion about what you don't like about Australia then please could you do it in the other forums as this one is for members to arrange meet-ups etc.

Many thanks

Sue
Sorry I'll leave you to it, just wanted to let you see the other side of the coin.
It's not perfect in Oz,

Anyway your wish is my command......I'm out of here.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

leannelo is on a distinguished road

I agree with both sides of the coin.... However..... can i say "life here is for our kids" Australia........ is beautiful...............GB........ is beautiful but "things will only get worse" I loved GB, but knew i had to get out of there before it was too late sorry
Old Jul 17th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

I agree with above post, we are mainly moving for the kids futures. Yes we to will have a great life away from the 'norm' of the UK, and yes we hear the stories of being isolated especially in and around Perth, and we will have to find out for ourselves what is what, in Oz.
A p*** up - i mean meet up sounds fun.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:32 am
Just Joined

simon jamieson is an unknown quantity at this point

hello we r geordies livin in perth my 2 neighbours r from soihull birmingham.r you here yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.