British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   West highland terriors (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/west-highland-terriors-402357/)

bokkie Oct 15th 2006 6:12 pm

West highland terriors

hi just wondering if anyone has taken their dogs, specifically westies, to oz.
we have two, both only three years old, and our kids would be mortified if we had to leave them in the UK. My concern is that they will not be able to manage in the heat. It is an expensive task and i would hate for them to get all the way there and only last a while?
If it is a stupid concern let me know (but be nice) if not any info would be great,

thanks Bokkie

skye Oct 15th 2006 6:20 pm

Re: West highland terriors

Read through the threads - there are loads of answers on this subject, I am in the process of quotes for 2 dogs - around £3,000 at the moment not including vets fees and injections!!! - But they are worth it :)

marvinc Oct 15th 2006 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by bokkie
we have two, both only three years old, and our kids would be mortified if we had to leave them in the UK. My concern is that they will not be able to manage in the heat. It is an expensive task and i would hate for them to get all the way there and only last a while?
If it is a stupid concern let me know (but be nice) if not any info would be great,

thanks Bokkie

Hi Bokkie

There are some West Higland White Terrier clubs in Australia check out this website it has links through to the WHWT breed clubs in Oz http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/...t_highland.asp

Same as here, breed clubs are there to help advise they are a popular show dog so there will be no problem with them handling the heat you just have to have respect for the sun and exercise early/late hopefully with tiled floors and air con the dogs will be fine :)

chels Oct 16th 2006 12:13 am

thanks Bokkie

Bring them with you - Westies are ridiculously expensive over here - the last ones I saw (admittedly in the pet shop rather than with a breeder, but the breeders all supply the pet shops who have priority over the individual customer) were for sale for $2000 each. And they didn't last long.

Haven't see many westies out here, but I'm sure they'll be okay in the heat - I've seen English sheepdogs out here coping (their coats are shorn!).

Big Bird Oct 16th 2006 12:23 am

thanks Bokkie

Hi Bokkie

We bought our 13 year old Westie out last year, he is part of the family and we could not have left him behind. I keep him clipped fairly short and he is fine. On excessively hot days, we just keep him in doors with the aircon on, as he has a heart condition.

As you say, it is an expensive task, but they are definitely worth it. ;)

Big Bird

cypry Oct 17th 2006 9:41 pm

thanks Bokkie

We brought our 5 year old Westie over (Monty) He loves it here and is a completely different dog. At home it was a struggle to get him to eat, but here anything is fair game. Heat not a problem just have plenty of water, shade if outside and as you say clip fairly short.... DONT LEAVE EM BEHIND!!!!

marvinc Oct 18th 2006 8:05 am

Originally Posted by chels
Bring them with you - Westies are ridiculously expensive over here - the last ones I saw (admittedly in the pet shop rather than with a breeder, but the breeders all supply the pet shops who have priority over the individual customer) were for sale for $2000 each. And they didn't last long.

Haven't see many westies out here, but I'm sure they'll be okay in the heat - I've seen English sheepdogs out here coping (their coats are shorn!).

Any reputable, resonsible breeder will not supply to a pet shop.

iPom Oct 18th 2006 10:36 am

Bring them with you - Westies are ridiculously expensive over here - the last ones I saw (admittedly in the pet shop rather than with a breeder, but the breeders all supply the pet shops ...

:eek::eek::eek:
No they don't! Most pet shops are supplied with puppies from puppy farms and come from very poor conditions, no papers, no xrays, no health check, no immunisations, no history of temperament... no nothing! Please don't buy dogs from a pet shop.
Buy from a reputable dealer who will sell you a pure breed with papers. You can't take a puppy back to a pet shop... but you can always rely on a breeder to support you for a long time afterwards.

http://www.dogslife.com.au/dogs_life...450&pid=150261

http://www.saynotoanimalsinpetshops.com/

:(

chels Oct 18th 2006 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by marvinc
Any reputable, resonsible breeder will not supply to a pet shop.

Lot of pet shops in Australia = breeders supplying them. Not saying they are reputable or responsible. While people continue to buy from the shops, the problem will continue. I disagree with it and find it upsetting to see the animals in the shops, though not enough to stop me looking at them as I so want to get a dog.

Have no fear, I won't be buying one from a shop - but neither will I be buying one from a breeder. I intend to give a home to a dog from a shelter. Personally, I think it is wrong that animals are being produced for profit and that people buy them when there are so many dogs that need homes, but instead will end up being put down because so called animal lovers prefer to buy a 'brand new pedigree dog' instead.

iPom Oct 18th 2006 12:53 pm

Lot of pet shops in Australia = breeders supplying them. Not saying they are reputable or responsible. While people continue to buy from the shops, the problem will continue. I disagree with it and find it upsetting to see the animals in the shops, though not enough to stop me looking at them as I so want to get a dog.

Have no fear, I won't be buying one from a shop - but neither will I be buying one from a breeder. I intend to give a home to a dog from a shelter. Personally, I think it is wrong that animals are being produced for profit and that people buy them when there are so many dogs that need homes, but instead will end up being put down because so called animal lovers prefer to buy a 'brand new pedigree dog' instead.

I think that at least a breeder can give you a thoroughbred dog and good support - which is good if you're new to dog ownership. If you're not, no big deal.
Even a dog from a pound will still cost you but obviously not as much as a pedigree, but my pup came from Renbury and she's a pure bred, as are many there, so it's possible to get a great dog from a pound... She cost $400 to purchase and would have been put down if I hadn't taken her.
I'm not sure it's wrong to breed for money... It's certainly a skill and it ensures that a good line of the animal survives, breeding the best traits which gives you the best dog.

Given that it's tricky to get a rescue animal's history, you never really know whether you're going to run into trouble, and pound dogs do suffer more anxiety than a bought puppy but it all depends, like I say, whether you want the support or not.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to get.
:)

Dolly Oct 18th 2006 1:45 pm

We've got a westie (bought from a breeder) and a mixed breed (got from a rescue centre) and we'll be taking them with us to Oz. One tip if buying from a breeder, if it is going to be an inside dog then try and buy one which has been bred in the house, I only say this because our Westie's parents lived outside and he was a NIGHTMARE to house train, he didn't have a clue. On saying that he was completely house trained after about 8 months, but I thought it was never going to end. On the other hand, the rescue dog (who was a puppy at the time) was trained onto newspaper when we got him, and was house trained after about 8 weeks. Glad to hear westies seem to cope well with the heat, our other dog loves the heat so I'm not too concerned about him.

iPom Oct 18th 2006 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
We've got a westie (bought from a breeder) and a mixed breed (got from a rescue centre) and we'll be taking them with us to Oz. One tip if buying from a breeder, if it is going to be an inside dog then try and buy one which has been bred in the house, I only say this because our Westie's parents lived outside and he was a NIGHTMARE to house train, he didn't have a clue. On saying that he was completely house trained after about 8 months, but I thought it was never going to end. On the other hand, the rescue dog (who was a puppy at the time) was trained onto newspaper when we got him, and was house trained after about 8 weeks. Glad to hear westies seem to cope well with the heat, our other dog loves the heat so I'm not too concerned about him.

Hey Mrs - How are you doing?

There are loads of Westies on our road alone. I see them everywhere - very popular little dog, plus lots of other mixed breed white things that are crossed with poodles... Don't go there... :eek:

Kath & Graham Oct 19th 2006 12:18 am

we brought our pure breed westie with us and she was 8 years old, still going strong over here (b een here 20 months)
:)

Make sure you get them to have a good clip before they come over as they get mucky.... also ours did have a blackened tummy, but nothing to worry about, the vet said it was due to the fact that she was laying in the sun!!! it ok now tho...we put an old smelly cardy in with her and she kept it with her for the four weeks in quarantine.

Since we arrived we have bought another x breed (rotti x) from the kennels and she is enjoying the company and loves going up the beach every day when we can.

One thing I must say is she does appear to suffer a bit from itchy skin but never had it in UK so I bathe her in some shampoo and leave in conditioner from the vets and shes ok now.

On the subject of pure breed westies, I hear you cannot get them at all over here in Perth, lots of people have stopped and asked me where she is from. We met one lady and her friend flew to Melbourne and got two at the cost of $1,800 each!! plus his flight there and back!!!!

Good luck and they are hardy little dogs - dont worry they will be fine..

Kath

Mally Lass Oct 19th 2006 12:49 am

Westies are ridiculously expensive over here - the last ones I saw (admittedly in the pet shop rather than with a breeder, but the breeders all supply the pet shops who have priority over the individual customer) .........

There are plenty of good breeders in Aus for Westies .

Good breeders (ethical registered breeders) ONLY supply to individual buyers and refuse to supply pet shops.... and are much cheaper than pet shops....

Pet shops get their supply of mass litters from puppy farmers :mad:

Big difference !

You should have no problem finding someone :)

chels Oct 19th 2006 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
There are plenty of good breeders in Aus for Westies .

Good breeders (ethical registered breeders) ONLY supply to individual buyers and refuse to supply pet shops.... and are much cheaper than pet shops....

Pet shops get their supply of mass litters from puppy farmers :mad:

Big difference !

You should have no problem finding someone :)

I've not seen many westies in Sydney. It's unlikely that they're not liked, as small dogs on the whole seem to be v popular - and who could not like a westie???

So I presumed there aren't many breeders (as I said in the earlier post, the ones that I've seen have been three times the price of other breeds).

The OP could set up an ethical westie breeding business and do very well from it, probably!