Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

West Aussie Sunburn

West Aussie Sunburn

Old Dec 31st 2004, 12:16 am
PommieLeague

Default West Aussie Sunburn

This sun over here in the west is mighty strong!
Im tired of getting sunburnt when I try to do all the right things.
We went to Rottnest yesterday with our bikes and kitted out ok- hat, sunnies, sunblock etc. Stopped on a Beach for a couple of hours then cycled thru the island only to discover my face and forearms became badly burnt.

Whats the best stuff to use to help heal the burn?

Now was this due to wind burn as well? What is the best way to protect when cycling?
All ideas welcome

Old Dec 31st 2004, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: West Aussie Sunburn

Originally Posted by Lathlain
This sun over here in the west is mighty strong!
Im tired of getting sunburnt when I try to do all the right things.
We went to Rottnest yesterday with our bikes and kitted out ok- hat, sunnies, sunblock etc. Stopped on a Beach for a couple of hours then cycled thru the island only to discover my face and forearms became badly burnt.

Whats the best stuff to use to help heal the burn?

Now was this due to wind burn as well? What is the best way to protect when cycling?
All ideas welcome

I think the best thing you can do is cover up as much as you can, continually reapply the sunscreen and whenever possible, stick to the shade.

As far as healing the sunburn...anything with Aloe Vera in it is really good.

Hels
Old Dec 31st 2004, 1:42 am
owieb

Originally Posted by Lathlain
What is the best way to protect when cycling?
All ideas welcome
I use Sunsense Sport Milk lotion. It's a SP30+, water resistant and rubs in really well. Great for when I'm out MTB or kiting, can go out on the water for 3-4 hours without getting burnt.

Old Dec 31st 2004, 1:53 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I put zinc on the nose, cheeks and forhead as well as factor 30 everywhere else. Having an existing tan helps. If on dry land I try and wear a shirt and trousers as I find it cooler and more protective than a tshirt and shorts. Be careful as you can burn through some fabrics as well.

For driving I have some decent polarised sunnies. They take a lot of strain off the eyes and I can drive longer without breaks with them on.

When you see someone whose nose has dropped off due to cancer, tanning soon loses its appeal.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:01 am
Mel Gibson

Try wearing one of those large straw Mexican style hats, they cover all your face not just your forehead like baseball caps do.

Old Dec 31st 2004, 2:14 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

And remember to reapply every 2 hours, and certainly after swimming(even if it says water resistant I think).
I got burned xmas day on the beach, even though I have darkish skin, and never burn, and I had 30+ on. But it must have washed off in the very salty water....
Old Dec 31st 2004, 3:05 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

And remember not to be fooled by a really cloudy day, at this time of year!
I made that mistake this time last year. Didn't bother with sunscreen, didn't see the sun all day, & got roasted alive!!!

BTW.. "Ultra Soothe aloe vera gell", is top notch stuff for healing sunburn.