Werribee???

Old Sep 17th 2003, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice
Default Werribee???

We fly to Melbourne on the 11th Oct and i finally found out yesterday where I'll be working. Werribee. I know its Williamstown way but thats all. Has anybody heard of it or knows anybody near there?? Or is it the back of beyond.:scared:

Mandy
Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:15 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Werribee???

Originally posted by Mandyisere
We fly to Melbourne on the 11th Oct and i finally found out yesterday where I'll be working. Werribee. I know its Williamstown way but thats all. Has anybody heard of it or knows anybody near there?? Or is it the back of beyond.:scared:

Mandy
Take a look here - it's found 2 Werribees.

http://www.multimap.com.au/map/place...=20&Submit.y=4
Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

It was the second Werribee, Werribee 3030.

Mandy
Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:10 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Werribee is about half way between Melbourne and Geelong, maybe a tad closer to Melbourne. I don't know too much about Werribee to be honest, apart from the open air zoo that we've been to with the children!

Have you decided where you are going to live? Living in Geelong might be a cheaper option for you if you are working in Werribee - the drive from Geelong would be about 30 to 40 minutes, and about the same on the train. Getting out of Melbourne over the West Gate Bridge might mean the journey time would be the same as travelling from Geelong (or worse).

Best regards.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to Werribee with my job a week or so ago. (Also came to Geelong Alan, but I was with a collegue so couldn't take up your offer of tea, I'm sure there will be other opportunities tho' ).

I liked Geelong, nice smart area, I think, good shopping centre with very cheap parking (and huge lifts)! Some lovely houses along the front.

Werribee is a new area with huge growth I think, lots of new housing, some looked nice but the centre sprawled a bit. I went to the shopping centre which has just been rebuilt double it's size and was really smart. I think it's a good base for the ocean, but not picturesque in itself.

The road to Melbourne was easy enough, good and fast.
Cheers
Mash...

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Werribee is about half way between Melbourne and Geelong, maybe a tad closer to Melbourne. I don't know too much about Werribee to be honest, apart from the open air zoo that we've been to with the children!

Have you decided where you are going to live? Living in Geelong might be a cheaper option for you if you are working in Werribee - the drive from Geelong would be about 30 to 40 minutes, and about the same on the train. Getting out of Melbourne over the West Gate Bridge might mean the journey time would be the same as travelling from Geelong (or worse).

Best regards.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:40 am
tennisoz

Default Re: Werribee???

Originally posted by Mandyisere

Mandy
Mandy

I come from Williamstown originally so know Werribee well. I would concur with what else has been said. Werribee was a country town once and was removed from the rest of Melbourne by a lot of farming land. A new area on the Melbourne side called Hoppers Crossing was subdivided and has rapidly filled up with houses and has joined with Werribee. (One of my brothers lived there for a while). Another area called Wyndham Vale on the other side is also developing fast.

I can remember as a boy going for 'a run in the country' (that means a drive with the family) to Werribee. It had and still has a lot of market gardens which were started by Italians mainly. There is rich volcanic soil and yes it is quite flat. Werribee itself has expanded rapidly in all directions with new estates to each side. The shopping centre is like you would find in a sizeable country town and is spread out along two main streets. However a huge complex called Werribee Plaza which is actually in Hoppers Crossing (a mini Metro centre) a few miles away has stacks of shops. It is this which was doubled in size recently.

Werribee has an excellent train service and roads to the city one way and Geelong the other way. Geelong as Alan and others say is a great place to visit and the newly upgraded freeway from Werribee to there makes it only a 20 to 30 minute journey. Via the freeway and Westgate Bridge you can be in the middle of Melbourne within a similar time from Werribee. The mouth of the Werribee River and the sea is less than 5 minutes to the south from Werribee.

There is an open range zoo at Werribee which is popular, as is Werribee Mansion which it adjoins. There is also a 5 star hotel there called the Mansion - which incidentally is the scene of Toadie and Dee's wedding in Neighbours coming up soon in Neighbours (sad ending unfortunately).

If it helps, my friend is the principal of Werribee Secondary College - but it doesn't look like you have teenage children!

The other thing I can say about Werribee is that it is close to Williamstown! The views from Williamstown across the bay to the city are fantastic.

In summary the Werribee/Hoppers Crossing area is rapidly expanding. Expect a lot of young families as house prices there are amongst the cheapest in Melbourne. You can buy 5 or 6 large properties there for the price of a waterfront property in Williamstown. There are stacks of different groups to join and sport in Werribee. I can't comment on the pubs, nightlife etc in Werribee though.

Good luck

TennisOz