Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're Settled at Long Last!!!!

We're Settled at Long Last!!!!

Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:37 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Smile We're Settled at Long Last!!!!

Thought I'd write a quick thread to let everyone know how we are doing since arriving on 28th Aug. We are now living in Berwick in a lovely rented house which is brand new. There is so much space that we don't know what to do with it or have enough furniture to fill it!!!!!

The girls missed starting school before the aussie kids broke up so will be starting at Hallam Valley Primary on 3rd Oct and they are looking forward to it so much. The school is very friendly and approachable and the girls were shown around by the deputy principal and the principal herself, who introduced the girls to their new teachers. The eldest was then assigned two "buddies" to help her from day one and so that she would know someone on her first day. So all in all the signs are good at the moment and we're hoping that it will stay that way. I do have to say that school uniform seems to be a bit pricey here and my advice would be to try and find an independant uniform shop rather than buying it from the school. We purchased summer dresses from the school for $43 and then found a uniform shop which sold them for $26!!!!! As you can imagine we were not too impressed, but learning curve and all that.

We have purchased our own car after hiring one for a week and a half and we're very pleased with it. The only curious thing about driving in Australia is that the cars have such big engines (ours is 3.8 V6) and the speed limits are lower here than in the UK?????

We have got all the usual things sorted out like car insurance, ambulance cover, RACV and all the utilities etc, so we're on the way to be sorted now. We have also got broadband which is wonderful as we were using dial-up whilst in the serviced appartment and it was driving us nuts!!!

Anyway things are looking good and we're getting settled. Job hunting is next on the list ......... so watch this space!!!

Lorraine and Stu
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:41 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're Settled at Long Last!!!!

Glad you're settling in ok.
Look forward to some more updates
Julie
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice

Hi Lorraine,

Glad to hear you are settling in to your new home. I was going to email you at the weekend and ask if you can get Broadband in Berwick so you've just answered my question. Can't remember where we were up to when I last sent you a PM, so sorry if I repeat myself.
Flights are booked, we arrive Nov 8th and the gilrs start school on the 14th ( might as well get on with it!!!). My twin sister who lives in Brighton is heading down to Berwick tomorrow to view some rentals, we are concentrating on the "square" where Kambrya College is I really liked the area when I visited last month.
Where was the shop you found for the gilrs school dresses?
What car did you buy? The size of the engines are huge aren't they?

Tracy
Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TracyAnne
Hi Lorraine,

Glad to hear you are settling in to your new home. I was going to email you at the weekend and ask if you can get Broadband in Berwick so you've just answered my question. Can't remember where we were up to when I last sent you a PM, so sorry if I repeat myself.
Flights are booked, we arrive Nov 8th and the gilrs start school on the 14th ( might as well get on with it!!!). My twin sister who lives in Brighton is heading down to Berwick tomorrow to view some rentals, we are concentrating on the "square" where Kambrya College is I really liked the area when I visited last month.

Tracy
hi hope you are settling in ok , glade to hear from you hope it's all you dreamed of .
Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:07 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TracyAnne
Hi Lorraine,

Tracy
Hi Tracy

The school uniform shop is called Beleza Pty Ltd and they stock around 12 different school uniforms and it is in Hallam just off the Princes Highway. If you go there get a membership card and then you get a percentage off everytime you buy something. We bought a Holden Berlina and we love it. It is quite a large car but is comfortable to drive with plenty of room. Hope this helps.

Lorraine