Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're now thinking of Building too!! (NZ)

We're now thinking of Building too!! (NZ)

Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We're now thinking of Building too!! (NZ)

HI,
After ruling it out passionately at the beginning I am now allowing myself to look into having a house built for us in NZ. Are we mad or has anyone really looked into this in a lot of detail. I think Don's post on the scary house prices and also having difficulty getting something you are sure will be structurally sound has made me think about it. I think the only way we could consider it though, would be to hand the whole job over to a construction company to oversee and complete the work. I don't fancy endless research and phonecalls to organise every spark, plumber etc. we would need! If they are anything like they are here the stress could not be good!!

Anyway we have been having a wee look at websites for a couple of days and like the look of either Stonewood Homes or Lockwood homes. Anyone have any knowledge of either of these or of the process. Maybe it doesn't work out any cheaper to build in the end - I'm not sure but would really appreciate any info or opinion!

Also haven't a notion about the planning end of things so that would be useful to know too!
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:40 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Hi Shirley,
We are looking into this as well, however some of the plots in Wellington were $300,000 to $400,000, so it can still be expensive.

Cheers Kev.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just popping this back up to the top in case anyone already in New Zealand would have any info on these firms. I really would appreciate it!! I found an old post of Deedee's today on the subject and his conclusion seemed to be that they are all pretty rubbish!! Is this really the case? Surely a lot of the second hand homes we would be looking at would also be kit homes as such, so is there not an advantage in choosing the best company, and getting the spec you need! At least that way you know how it's put together and have some comeback if you move into problems!!

Interested in any replies!
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know if this applies for NZ, but here the cost of building from sctratch is usually about 60% of the finished value, so it's usually a good investment, the thing that stops most people here building is that you need to buy the land with cash as you can't get a mortgage for it, only for the house - this shouldn't be a problem in NZ as a lot of people are going over with capital.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

my hubby is a contracts supervisor for a house building company in Hawkes Bay. They do everything from design (individually with the buyer) right through to completion. They are a locally owned company so not national, but hubby will know the trade well (he's a kiwi). He has just done a house for an English couple who started the process while still in England. They are now living in their lovely brand new home (with all their English furniture having just arrived). What spacifically would you like to know and I'll ask him for the answers.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 1:47 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DaisyNZ
my hubby is a contracts supervisor for a house building company in Hawkes Bay. They do everything from design (individually with the buyer) right through to completion. They are a locally owned company so not national, but hubby will know the trade well (he's a kiwi). He has just done a house for an English couple who started the process while still in England. They are now living in their lovely brand new home (with all their English furniture having just arrived). What spacifically would you like to know and I'll ask him for the answers.
Sounds good. Does the company have a website?

Rob
Old Oct 15th 2003, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah Daisy,
I was going to ask that too and also do they carry out work as far away as Canterbury or are they local only. If not, does he have any knowledge of who else is good and who to avoid like the plague!! I'm sure there are good and bad in the trade and the like of him has probably got inside information. Would really appreciate some advice as I have a feeling this is something that could be brilliant if we get it right but otherwise could be a nightmare! The idea would be, the same as for those english folks you mentioned, to start the process off from home so we would really need someone we could trust.

Also, if you didn't mind asking him about the planning side of things. When land is advertised for sale, does it always state "with outline planning permission" if it is a site as it would here or do you buy the land and then start applying for planning. Also if it says 'section' does that mean it has planning on it or basically how do you know, and where is the best place to look for sites.

The other thing is if we get a couple of acres as we hope we would think of having something built quickly to live in and then use as a quest home/studio when the proper house is finished. Would this be a planning nightmare or fairly common place. has he any other suggestions maybe?

I'm really sorry for all the questions but we are only just starting to look into this and want to get as much info as possible before we make up our minds.

Many, many thanks,
Old Oct 15th 2003, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We're now thinking of Building too!! (NZ)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jajpe
HI,
After ruling it out passionately at the beginning I am now allowing myself to look into having a house built for us in NZ. Are we mad or has anyone really looked into this in a lot of detail. I think Don's post on the scary house prices and also having difficulty getting something you are sure will be structurally sound has made me think about it. I think the only way we could consider it though, would be to hand the whole job over to a construction company to oversee and complete the work. I don't fancy endless research and phonecalls to organise every spark, plumber etc. we would need! If they are anything like they are here the stress could not be good!!

Anyway we have been having a wee look at websites for a couple of days and like the look of either Stonewood Homes or Lockwood homes. Anyone have any knowledge of either of these or of the process. Maybe it doesn't work out any cheaper to build in the end - I'm not sure but would really appreciate any info or opinion!

I have heard that there is a cronic shortage of builders in NZ at the moment though, something to be aware of.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:05 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by nell m
I dont know if this applies for NZ, but here the cost of building from sctratch is usually about 60% of the finished value, so it's usually a good investment, the thing that stops most people here building is that you need to buy the land with cash as you can't get a mortgage for it, only for the house - this shouldn't be a problem in NZ as a lot of people are going over with capital.

I feel thats perhaps a little too generalised....it all depends on where and what you build.At the moment in Queenstown or Wanaka i don't think you could have a turn key house built for under half a million as there just isn't the builders and they cherry pick the best jobs...at a premium of course.Then you would have to buy a section.I know house prices are high but in the Lakes district there are a huge number of places been built that are going to be way over capitalised.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

he's just gone to work, but their website is www.homeworx.co.nz. Unfortunately they are only local at this stage. I'll get the other answers for you tonight.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:39 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in a few Lockwood houses. They are generally very well regarded here as being good value and well-built. Apparently they used to be seen as a 'great' make/ design of house but now in the days of many more architect designed houses are seen as a bit less exciting though still looked at as good quality (not difficult when compared to polystyrene methods, cheaper timber methods eg ply, fibro etc!)

They look better on the inside than the outside - lovely expanses of wood, if you like that look (we do!)
Old Oct 17th 2003, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

hubby read your questions last night. It's a bit hard for him to understand the whole planning thing because he's not up on the English building scene. For instance, we are thinking about subdividing our section at the moment. We have had meetings with the council over how large the section is and whether they will allow a house to be built on it. We wouldn't sell the section unless that has already been decided, in other words, a section is normally sold here as land to build on. Anyway, he wasn't sure exactly what you meant about 'planning', but is happy to help. Feel free to email or PM if you'd prefer. One thing he did say is that you have to be careful about 'a couple of acres'. If you are talking urban, that would be a large section, if you are talking rural, you may not be allowed to purchase or build on something that small. Just a thought.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Daisy,

many thanks for your replies and for your husband's input too! Sorry that my questions were very muddled althought that's probably because everything is so hypothetical at the moment. Perhaps I should wait until we have more concrete plans(no pun intended!!) or even possible plans and then ask the questions! I may very well come back to him at that stage if the offer is still open!!

Don, good to see that you are finally settling a wee bit and able to see some possible homes for yourself! Interested to hear that Lockwood Homes have a good reputaion. Funny friends of ours were over in NZ last year and saw a couple of their showhomes and said the same as you, that they look much better on the inside! Really hope you find what you are looking for although I would love to know more about your decision not to settle in Christchurch as you had previously planned! Is it the climate or quality of houses or are there other factors that have influenced you to go North. Hope this doesn't sound nosey but I'm just interested! All the best!