Reload this Page >

We're not all muppets down here

We're not all muppets down here

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 8:52 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough
Default We're not all muppets down here

New Zealand pupils are ranked ahead of Australia, Britain, and the United States in reading literacy, a report covering 43 countries shows.

In the Literacy Skills for the World of Tomorrow report released this week, which reproduces last year's OECD Programme for International Student Assessment (Pisa) findings, New Zealand scored in the top three countries for average reading literacy, behind Finland and Canada.

New Zealand pupils also beat the other 42 nations in attaining the highest reading standard – 19 per cent of New Zealand 15-year-olds were reading at the highest level, level five, compared with an OECD average of only 10 per cent.

The report, jointly published by the OECD and Unesco, is based on OECD data from tests on between 4500 and 10,000 15-year-olds in 43 countries.

New Zealand was in the top 10 countries for mathematical and scientific literacy – fourth and seventh respectively, ahead of Australia at sixth and eighth.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 8:55 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Shame they still can't say "fish and chips" eh

Just kidding mate!!

Out of interest, where did you get your info? Its not that i don't believe you, cos i do, just thought it might be an interesting read.

Cheers

Pete.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 9:35 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by PeteY
Shame they still can't say "fish and chips" eh

Just kidding mate!!

Out of interest, where did you get your info? Its not that i don't believe you, cos i do, just thought it might be an interesting read.

Cheers

Pete.
Have a look on Stuff.co.nz.... at http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepres...2a6530,00.html

Also a very interesting article regarding employers welcoming the new immigration changes. It seems they are happy with the changes and feel it's going to lead to many more trades people who wouldn't have otherwise qualified being able to come in.

The only people whining are the consultants...cry me a river!

John.

Last edited by JWW; Jul 3rd 2003 at 4:39 am.