Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Were to live in Perth?????

Were to live in Perth?????

Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future
Default Were to live in Perth?????

We are noving to Perth in May and wonered if anyone could give us any info on what areas are the best/worst(if there r any bad areas that is)We dont wnt to live near the coast if that helps .Weve been looking at the Kingsley area ?We have 2 small children and they will need to go into school.
Any info would be greatly appriciated,Also while im here any ideas on renting costs ,ive read today that someone is charging $500 ,is this reasonable?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Were to live in Perth?????

Originally posted by bonza69
We are noving to Perth in May and wonered if anyone could give us any info on what areas are the best/worst(if there r any bad areas that is)We dont wnt to live near the coast if that helps .Weve been looking at the Kingsley area ?We have 2 small children and they will need to go into school.
Any info would be greatly appriciated,Also while im here any ideas on renting costs ,ive read today that someone is charging $500 ,is this reasonable?

Kingsley area is quite near the coast.
how far away do you want to be?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:17 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there,

I have only briefly visited Kingsley but it is one of the nicer areas IMO. Nice looked after homes, looked very settled. But others may have better information or opinions.

The $500, is expensive even for short term lets, but new immigrants often have little choice and sadly Brit expats are only too happy to relieve them of their £'s & $'s. There are cheaper places to stay and several options have been posted before. Hopefully others will give you some information because I think it would be difficult to find on the search facility.

Have you been to Perth before?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future

No not been to Perth b4,and Kingsley s just about far enough away from the coast 4 us ,we have looked at different areas ,and got the property guide and house prices for renting and buying ,and you r right about the renting prices they are cheaper when privitley advertised ,there not $500 for a start as ive priviosly read on the forum today (someone advertised today for a property in Perth )
It seems to me that the further away you r away from the coast the cheaper it is to rent and buy ,is this right?
We just want a friendly area ! any ideas would be great.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:36 pm
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light

Visited Perth last year with intent to see if we liked it before applying for PR visa.
Loved it - stayed in a small suburb called Leeming - very family friendly, good schools, not too far from coast.
You can probably secure a decent rental there for about $250 per week.
Surrounding suburbs also OK (Canning Vale, Bibra Lake, North Lake, Jandakot)
Hope this helps
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

R u looking at south or north of the river..............kingsley is north, very nice area....tend to agree with the earlier posting.loads of expats tend to exploit new expats and really rip them off with regards to rentals.
do a bit more research. you can get bucket loads for a lot less that $500.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hi there

not sure if you mean "proper" rental or fully furnished "newly arrived" rentals...if it's the former check out some of these sites (if you haven't already):

www.century21.com.au
www.ljhooker.com.au
www.citysearch.com.au
www.reiwa.com.au

There are other real estate companies too like Raine & Horne, the Professionals.

hope this helps!

love sophia x
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:53 pm
Good to be back in UK

What your rental options are depend on what your needs are. usually people need somewhere to stay soon after arrival for 2-3 weeks whilst they find their feet. It is this market that people like PIP and others cater for and on occasion exploit. There are cheaper options, I doubt you will obtain a rental agreement with a real estate company here before you land.

Some people are happy to pay that bit extra for a bit of piece of mind. Moving straight into a furnished house etc. Be aware that often deposits are non refundable. If you do a search you will find other posters who rent accommodation. Or maybe they will contact you when they read your thread.

We are currently renting a really nice house with pool in East Perth, we rent from Dawn off this site but I believe the house will be occupied when you are due out here.

Last edited by Jirrupin; Jan 9th 2004 at 1:59 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replys,its great t get all this info,
If it helps we r after a 3 bedroom house (min )and we need fully furnished,we dont want to bring every thing over till we r settled.
Kingsley seems to be looking good from your replys,Its like wearing a blinfold at the mo and putting the pin on the donkeys tail ,and hopefully when i take my blindfold off ive got the right place(or my god im talking crap now ,its all the info im tryng to absorb, its sending me round the bend

Last edited by bonza69; Jan 9th 2004 at 4:33 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 4:25 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, fully furnished!

Be warned: not much fully furnished.
Then you will be looking at stuff like the one advertised today.
There are some more of course, and a bit cheaper, but it's still all expensive and there's not much choice.
When I was looking for this kinda stuff I came up with mostly appartements, see below.
But, we have friends in Perth, and one had just offered us accomodation with her for the first few weeks, so we don't need this anymore, fortunetly!
But here is my research(it's about a month or two old, and I was mainly looking for short term):

http://www.dowlerapartments.com.au/
350 per week if you stay a month

http://www.budgetapartments.com.au/
380 per week

http://www.comoapartments.com.au/rates.htm
525 per week

Adair Apartment
http://www.westernaustralia.net/serv...roductID=10007
3/27 Adair Parade , Coolbinia
270 per week!!
E-mail: [email protected]

http://www.lets-perth.com/Property.html (one of those expensive ones for Poms )

Hey, Donna, did you stay in a dowler apartment when you were in South Perth by any chance? Just wondering, as there's not that much more choice than this, right?
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:17 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

I think it`s being lived in for the next couple of months, but a friend has a house in Kenwick (south of the river) for about $100 a week.... dunno if it is furnished or not (I think it is though)... will find out for sure so feel free anyone who wants to stay there while finding their feet.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:26 am
Good to be back in UK

Thanks for all your replys,its great t get all this info,
If it helps we r after a 3 bedroom house (min )and we need fully furnished,we dont want to bring every thing over till we r settled.
Kingsley seems to be looking good from your replys,Its like wearing a blinfold at the mo and putting the pin on the donkeys tail ,and hopefully when i take my blindfold off ive got the right place(or my god im talking crap now ,its all the info im tryng to absorb, its sending me round the bend
You obviously need somewhere to stay when you arrive, that may cost you. When we first arrived we stayed at West Perth apartments about $300 including bills, they are small but okay close to the city and kings park great for when you don't first have a car.

we then got a furnished rental apartment in South Perth for $260 but we saw some cheaper.

You can rent an unfurnished house from about $200per week plus bills. If your not too fussy to begin with you could furnish with some second hand stuff really cheaply until you know what you want to do. Also I know one family in Perth who hired furniture for a couple of months. Waiting for their things to arrive.

Lots of options
Old Jan 10th 2004, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

We pay $250 pw for a new 4X2 (was $220 but we had them install A/C). We are about 20 mins S/E of the CBD. I reckon this is a little above average but $500 is ludicrous unless it's a mansion.
Old Jan 10th 2004, 4:02 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Last time I was in Perth anywhere north of the river that was half-decent was expensive, as well as anything near the river on the south side (South Perth etc etc).

I think the most reasonable place to live for price/performance is around Kenwick/Gosnells/Maddington, as they are along the Albany highway and southern train line. About 40min drive to the sea and Fremantle iirc.

I went to John Curtin and South Fremantle shs`s when I was there.... anyone else around the Freo area?
Old Jan 10th 2004, 8:59 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nibbs
We pay $250 pw for a new 4X2 (was $220 but we had them install A/C). We are about 20 mins S/E of the CBD. I reckon this is a little above average but $500 is ludicrous unless it's a mansion.
I'm assuming this isn't furnished though??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.