Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're just over on a 20ft container

We're just over on a 20ft container

Old May 19th 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough
Default We're just over on a 20ft container

by 100 cubic feet. So we can work out what we can leave behind does anyone have any idea what this might equate to? I had to go to collect my son from nursery so coulnd't hang about a chat as the estimator was late!

He roughly said £3300 for a 20ft and £5700 for a 40ft so there is a big difference and I need to see what we can cut down on.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

buchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant future
Default Re: We're just over on a 20ft container

We were estimated for a 20ft container and told there would be space left over, however when it came to them packing it - guess what it didn't all fit!! We had to pay an extra £920 to ship the 220 cubic feet that didn't fit!! We are in the process of claiming it back from them. Sell / give away what wont fit because it is not worth the extra money
Old May 19th 2009, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eeksy
by 100 cubic feet. So we can work out what we can leave behind does anyone have any idea what this might equate to? I had to go to collect my son from nursery so coulnd't hang about a chat as the estimator was late!

He roughly said £3300 for a 20ft and £5700 for a 40ft so there is a big difference and I need to see what we can cut down on.
Its about the size of a three seater sofa or a queen size matress and divan base.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We were estimated for a 20foot reefer packed to the rafters. Once they'd packed the container - incredibly well and tightly, we still had room for stuff we'd decided we could do without - it's all down to the packers, you may be fine as a fair bit of stuff can be packed inside bits of furniture.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

aaah right. Ok, we will know more when the house sale goes through and the buyers decide what the position is with the white goods. We may well have things leftover once the main stuff is packed.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Admittedly we had a few problems with our container but shipped in our 20ft two large 2 seater sofas and two large 3 seater sofas, king size bed, double bed, cotbed, 2 display cabinets, sideboard, TV, TV unit, desk, 3 chest of drawers (not flat packed) and loads of boxes of clothes,toys kitchen stuff,books etc. The stuff nearly filled the garage here (double) when we arrived but we still would have had room for another bed, washing machine, tumble dryer and 10 large boxes of stuff we thought wouldn't get in. The packers did a good job of getting it all in. Now moving to a new house and have got to shift it all ourselves, boy am I not looking forward that
Old May 20th 2009, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not worth it, getting a 40ft container if you're just a bit over!

Like moneypen said, see if it all fits in on the day. If not, send the rest groupage. That means it gets put into a container that is only part-full.

That's what we did. We knew we'd be over a 20ft container, though in the end we weren't over as much as they had estimated. The bit that was "over" was then sent groupage. It took a bit longer to arrive, as they had to wait to fill the container. So, make sure that the stuff that's "over" isn't anything too important.
Old May 20th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Go for the 20' and make sure they/you pack all spaces (else they are shipping just air) we put cushions etc under chair legs whilst they were wrapped and filled an ottoman etc with towells etc, if you don't they will put it in seperate boxes
Old May 20th 2009, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Go for the 20' and make sure they/you pack all spaces (else they are shipping just air) we put cushions etc under chair legs whilst they were wrapped and filled an ottoman etc with towells etc, if you don't they will put it in seperate boxes
Do what we did and say 20ft what wont go in wont go and make a pile of non essentials. We had loads of room left in the end. You can pack clothes in draws and anything in anything if you want. We packed bedding in our chest freezer, normal freezer etc every chest of draw was packed. Flat pack anything that will. Good packers use every inch of a container.

Jo
Old May 20th 2009, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Great advice. Thank you.