Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're here!!! :)

We're here!!! :)

Old Sep 8th 2004, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default We're here!!! :)

Hi folks,

just a quickie,

got here saturday, flights good, probs with my visa though, due to the fact that someone else has a simlar name to me - more about that at a later date!

stopping at a resort in cairns for a month, while we search for a rental.

Got a hire car, opened a bank account, the usual stuff, been to the beach, had a bbq, and so on....

cairns is cool, we've always loved it here, so we feel we've made the right move for us, so far so good.

Will post with all the nitty gritty when i get my own 'puter,

see ya later,
Old Sep 8th 2004, 11:47 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're here!!! :)

Originally Posted by steandleigh
probs with my visa though, due to the fact that someone else has a simlar name to me - more about that at a later date!
Lots of Stans over there then ?

Look forward to the nitty gritty
Old Sep 9th 2004, 12:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to oz, and as Box says, Bring on the Nitty Gritty!!!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 12:30 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to Oz from us in Sunny Yeppoon
Old Sep 9th 2004, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Good luck leigh, glad everything ( bar the visa ) went well and looking forward to hearing the nitty stuff
Old Sep 9th 2004, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Great to hear that you have arrived!

If we can help in anyway just let us know!

Look forward to hearing some more when you get sorted.

Mandy and Ian
Old Sep 9th 2004, 6:28 am
Go Banana's !!

Hi guys,
Good to know you arrived safely. Good luck with the first few weeks and the start of your new life.

Best wishes

Warren
Less than 7 weeks to go...........

Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you guys made it OK (just!).

Enjoy the settling in and looking forward to hearing how you are getting on
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:26 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Hi folks,
due to the fact that someone else has a simlar name to me - more about that at a later date!
...and it had nothing to do with me! Honest!

glad you got there safe and well, don't take too long with the details though!

have fun, relax and enjoy! you made it!!

all the best

Leigh xx
Old Sep 12th 2004, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back again, albeit shortly.
The visa thing was as follows:

I go to check in at Heathrow and my visa deteails kept " bouncing back" from the airlines computer. Everyones elses in our party were fine. The nice check in man at cathay rings Canberra Immigration and they say I'm good to go. Phew, had a bit of a panic on then, thought i'd be stuck in blighty permanently. No explaination why tho'

gets to HK, 5 hour stop, meet up with our family there, use the airport hotel ( v. nice BTW ), have a meal, go to board the next flight ( Cairns via Brisbane ). As before, everyone checks in fine except me,phonecalls are made to oz immigration and they let me go ( finally ), well, the rest of the whole flight was boarded by then so i did get to do a " dramatic running down the tunnel type thing"!!!!!!!

Gets to Bris, no probs, one hour and half stop, back on flight to Cairns, no probs, then I gets to Cairns - had to "have a chat" with the immigration lady there, ( the rest of my family are on the other side, having all got through ok ).

After doing checks, I'm told that someone else has a simlar name to me ( first and middle names, not surname ), which, BTW aren't even SPELT the same way, they just sound the same and they are after her for immi dodging. Bugger, apparently, it'll prob happen everytime i go through customs, theres nothing they can do about it. Nice.

Ohwell, at least I didn't get the rubber glove treatment!!! :scared:

Apart from that, been here two days and our little boy ( aged 6 ) has already used medicare! He started throwing up when we arrive ( I personally blame the airline food ) and so we took him to the docs ($45), who referred him to Cairns hospital, he had to stay in overnight on a drip for dehydration, while they did blood tests etc. hes had a gastro bug apparently, but by next morning he was back to his old self and came home with me.

The nursing staff on the paediatric ward at Cairns were excellent, they let me stay overnight with him and were always popping in to check we were ok. The 2 docs who saw him were english, the night doc was english and one of the nurses was english, can't bloody get away from them.

Thats it for now, will be back to tell you about our house plans and everything else we've done soon,

lots a smiles,
Old Sep 12th 2004, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I love Cairns! You are sooooo lucky!

It will literally be years before I can even apply for my visa......reading about expat adventures will have to do until then!
Old Sep 12th 2004, 10:16 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

You should have said "I'm Stan" and there wouldn't have been any delay with IMMI

Sorry about the lad but glad he's okay now.

Look forward to part 3
Old Sep 16th 2004, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

i'm back again!

Thanks for the good wishes,

my next news - we have rented a brand new house up at Kewarra Beach - $290 a week, 3 beds, family bathroom, onsuite, all the usual goodies.

have bought a block of land - 700sq mt, also up at Kewarra Beach, will commence building after we have done our homework with the millions of various builders up here and designed the house that we really want.

have done all the usual stuff now, including tax file no's, medicare, private health, centrelink, schools, day nursery ( sorry - "kindy'!!! ), generally settling in and having a ball, all the aussies we have met so far have been great, very welcoming etc, etc.

off to buy furniture today, as we didn't bother to bring any of our own, our shipment is due to arrive on 26th october, was hoping it might be around xmas time, would have saved us heaps on xmas presents for the kids ( tight arsed git eh?!!!! ).

Erm... thats about it really, i'm sure theres loads more to tell, but i have so many to keep up to speed with our adventures that im quickly becoming a 2 second brainer as i forget who i've told what to and end up repeating myself - could be the onset of dementia.....

Any questions for those about to land etc, would be happy to answer you,

to conclude, australia is everything we expected it to be, have had no real nasty surprises as we did our homework and we are realistic in our expectations, life is good and we are very happy.

Catch you all later,

Leigh.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 12:13 am
Bix
da Bonehead

have bought a block of land - 700sq mt, also up at Kewarra Beach
Thanks for the update and glad everything is still on track.
Blimey Stan, you don't hang around do you ?

Did you get my PM just before you left these shores ?
Old Sep 16th 2004, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

i'm back again!

Thanks for the good wishes,

my next news - we have rented a brand new house up at Kewarra Beach - $290 a week, 3 beds, family bathroom, onsuite, all the usual goodies.

have bought a block of land - 700sq mt, also up at Kewarra Beach, will commence building after we have done our homework with the millions of various builders up here and designed the house that we really want.

have done all the usual stuff now, including tax file no's, medicare, private health, centrelink, schools, day nursery ( sorry - "kindy'!!! ), generally settling in and having a ball, all the aussies we have met so far have been great, very welcoming etc, etc.

off to buy furniture today, as we didn't bother to bring any of our own, our shipment is due to arrive on 26th october, was hoping it might be around xmas time, would have saved us heaps on xmas presents for the kids ( tight arsed git eh?!!!! ).

Erm... thats about it really, i'm sure theres loads more to tell, but i have so many to keep up to speed with our adventures that im quickly becoming a 2 second brainer as i forget who i've told what to and end up repeating myself - could be the onset of dementia.....

Any questions for those about to land etc, would be happy to answer you,

to conclude, australia is everything we expected it to be, have had no real nasty surprises as we did our homework and we are realistic in our expectations, life is good and we are very happy.

Catch you all later,

Leigh.
Hi there Leigh,
Glad to hear you have settled in so well and that you are enjoying life in Oz so far.

Myself and Lee have been here almost 6 months now and the time has really flown in. My sister is coming to stay with us for an extended holiday (until April), her flight arrives in Cairns in 9 hours... not that I am counting or anything! I cannot wait to see her!

We are also living at Kewarra Beach so if you fancy meeting up some time, PM us and we'll arrange a little 'Cairns get-together!!'

All the best,
Joanne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.