Reload this Page >

We're Going For It!!!!

Wikiposts

We're Going For It!!!!

Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Probably took a lot of bottle to decide to do that.
Enjoy it ! , have fun, take your time, you never know,the east side might be just as bad as the bloody west and then you'd have missed all the lovely bit in the middle ( desert ).

Take care out there.

Paul
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:38 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure you will have a great time, especially after the teething troubles you have had. We have a small VW camper and spent 5 weeks in it this summer. Luckily we had great weather. We have both decided sod a car when we get to Oz, we will buy a camper van first. Have a brilliant time.
Best wishes.
Sarah
Old Nov 27th 2003, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

HAHAAH!

How old are you two?

I'm 19 and would NEVER do such a thing...

Just reading your post made me nervous!

Old Nov 27th 2003, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

At last!!!!!

So how will you like the rest of oz.....please let us know

Old Nov 27th 2003, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Well Donna, this has certainly cheered up my crap start to the day.

Looking forward to hearing of your adventures.
Wonder how many internet cafes they have on the Nullabor???

Good luck - when are you gonna be offskie?

Di
Old Nov 27th 2003, 12:12 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your encouragement

I woke up this morning and my first thought after thinking what the bloody hell are they drilling for at 8am (their constructing a new apartment building on the block of land next to us)
so my second thought was OMG!!! we are going to be living in a van.

I haven't told my relatives in the UK yet because my mother and elderly gran will have palpitations when they realise we will be in the middle of nowhere and she can't contact me to tell me whose got a cold this week

Anyway the hunt begins for the travel items we need to acquire for our adventure. Chris says if he knew buying a clapped out old van for me to live in would have made me happy, he would have done it weeks ago.

The good thing about this move is the end to this period of indecision. If we do end up returning to UK at the end of the journey I think we will have a much more positive overall opinion of Australia than this part of Perth has had to offer. Which would increase the chances of our returning for another go.

But then we may just find what we are looking for as we meander across the country in search of adventure. It does feel as if we have completely stepped outside the box and into a tin can

Maybe we have just got so used to living in a state of transition waiting years for the visa to come though that it is hard to sit in one place anymore?

Well we are definitely going to be in transition now. Chris isn't too keen on the fairy lights but we'll see.

We could end up leaving on christmas eve. Our lease runs out that day, they have asked us to extend past the holidays and we have verbally agreed to that but now everythings in the air again.

Chris has been having some intensive chiropractic treatment and we see the Dr. again on Monday to review his X-rays so depending on the prognosis we may have to stay in Perth a while longer.

What you can be sure of is you will be the first to know

Last edited by Jirrupin; Nov 27th 2003 at 1:03 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: We're Going For It!!!!

Originally posted by Jirrupin
We had a drive out this afternoon, pulled into a car dealers, sold our car at a loss of $6000, in only 3 months

And after two hours of deliberation with several salesmen we bought an old camper van and we are going across the Nullabor and up the East Coast.

I think we are completely mad and Chris is wondering how he is going to manage being couped up in a tin can with a premenstral woman:scared:

But we felt mad or not, it will be a great (bone shaking) adventure.

Nullabor here we come

Mad:scared: .......of cause your not have a great time wish it was me and I'm OLD "LOL"........
Old Nov 27th 2003, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Andiii
HAHAAH!

How old are you two?

I'm 19 and would NEVER do such a thing...

Just reading your post made me nervous!

Then your foolish ..... I'm 59 and have done lots of stuff .but guess what..... wish I'd done more dont have nearly all the memories I should have. so get going and pack......:scared:
Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

you wont see a weirdo called "Ziggy" who lives out in a hut made out of Milo tins somewhere out there.
Might have to move in next door to him. Then there will be two weirdos and me. If only I had known marrying Donna was an endurance test. Must have been bad in a previous life.

Had a bad dream last night that we had sold a perfectly good car and Donna talked me into buying a tatty old campervan.

Last edited by karawara88; Nov 27th 2003 at 2:38 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:28 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh how cool is that!? You'll have a great time. We did it a few years ago and drove around the whole country in our campervan (which we named The Firestarter). I remember thinking we were mad at the time, but it was the best adventure we have both ever had. We learnt so much on that trip - like how to build a fire, keep a fire going, how to use a gas propane cooker, how to shower quickly, how to cook a healthy meal on two rings and how to travel lightly.

We stayed in a variety of campervan sites and camp sites (the camp sites were way cooler, but for a better shower experience the campervan sites were the best). However, going across the Nullabour you won't have much choice.

A couple of tips:

buy one of those funky flynet things you put over your hat - you'll need it if you get out of the car at any point going across the Nllabour; buy a light sarong or something similar to put in the passanger window - the sun can get very hot and you can burn through the window; look into getting some sort of cd player or tape deck in your car - you'll need it; we found the Lonely Planet guides helped us so much - we had a different one for each state and they proved invaluable for information on things to do, areas and also where to camp. For cheap meat, go to the supermarket towards the end of the day when they are selling everything off. Make sure you have flip flops - specially handy for less desirable shower experiences! Wet wipes (for hands and bums) come in very useful as well.

Oooh I wish I was doing it all over again. We took just over 4 months to go around the country which wasn't long enough. We had lots of arguements but it was easy to make up when you are sleeping in a campervan! We also had a tent so if it got too hot we could sleep outside.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

V

<looks out of window onto to Oxford St and starts dreaming of being free>
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for the advice, one thing we were wondering about was mosquitos getting into the van and eating us alive at night. Any tips on this. We've bought some repellent but any tips from someone who knows would be invaluable. Did you take anything with you for lighting fires? The last time I went camping 'properly' fire and all, was about 15 years ago, hopefully it will be like riding a bike

Originally posted by Vee
Oh how cool is that!? You'll have a great time. We did it a few years ago and drove around the whole country in our campervan (which we named The Firestarter). I remember thinking we were mad at the time, but it was the best adventure we have both ever had. We learnt so much on that trip - like how to build a fire, keep a fire going, how to use a gas propane cooker, how to shower quickly, how to cook a healthy meal on two rings and how to travel lightly.

We stayed in a variety of campervan sites and camp sites (the camp sites were way cooler, but for a better shower experience the campervan sites were the best). However, going across the Nullabour you won't have much choice.

A couple of tips:

buy one of those funky flynet things you put over your hat - you'll need it if you get out of the car at any point going across the Nllabour; buy a light sarong or something similar to put in the passanger window - the sun can get very hot and you can burn through the window; look into getting some sort of cd player or tape deck in your car - you'll need it; we found the Lonely Planet guides helped us so much - we had a different one for each state and they proved invaluable for information on things to do, areas and also where to camp. For cheap meat, go to the supermarket towards the end of the day when they are selling everything off. Make sure you have flip flops - specially handy for less desirable shower experiences! Wet wipes (for hands and bums) come in very useful as well.

Oooh I wish I was doing it all over again. We took just over 4 months to go around the country which wasn't long enough. We had lots of arguements but it was easy to make up when you are sleeping in a campervan! We also had a tent so if it got too hot we could sleep outside.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

V

<looks out of window onto to Oxford St and starts dreaming of being free>
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:58 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karawara88
Thanks so much for the advice, one thing we were wondering about was mosquitos getting into the van and eating us alive at night. Any tips on this. We've bought some repellent but any tips from someone who knows would be invaluable. Did you take anything with you for lighting fires? The last time I went camping 'properly' fire and all, was about 15 years ago, hopefully it will be like riding a bike
The best thing in the world for lighting fires is pieces of the wax box they pack fruit and vegies in. I used to have to light a massive fire everyday for cooking camp-oven tucker (the things I do for money) and always found wax box to be the best. You just rip up little pieces - you hardly need any - a hold a match to it. The wax drips of the cardboard helping ignite any wood etc.

Failing that, diesel works (slightly safer than petrol...)!!!
Old Nov 27th 2003, 10:42 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

OoHHHHH how exciting!!! At least the boredom will be packed away for a bit!!!

I hope that 'dog box' on wheels has air con!!!!!?? Don't forget to tell someone when you leave and the date you arrive (where ever you are going!?) I'am sure you'll have a brilliant time and won't regret it at all.

You never know, it may be the land pf plenty over east!? Can't be any worse than this side can it? I'am sure you won't think about coming back!

Have a good time and I wish you all the luck in the world
Old Nov 27th 2003, 10:46 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Ever read 'Sean and David's Long Drive' (by Sean Condon, Lonely Planet press)? Two mates, in a car, hooning about Australia. It's pretty funny, in a dark kind of way, esp the bits on small town Australia.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 10:47 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hey I forgot to say: I think you should call the dog box

"The Dream"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.