Old Nov 26th 2003, 10:40 pm
WBB

Default Re: We're Going For It!!!!

Originally posted by Jirrupin
You really should learn a little self censorship WBB

oh lighten up

Old Nov 26th 2003, 10:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You really should learn a little self censorship WBB
No, no, he wouldn't be the same without his one-liners. (or his sheep!)

Seriously though, hope you both have an amazing trip. Make sure you post all your experiences on here for us
Old Nov 26th 2003, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

What Donna forgot to mention is, we were sat trying to decide what to do, when I stupidly suggested we could trade in the car and get a cheap camper van, "like this one in the paper".

Next thing I know we own a campervan.

So somehow I have gone from driving a beautiful Toyota Celica Convertible in the UK to driving a crappy Hyandai Dog box to drving a 17 year old van. Which I now have to drive across some huge expanse of nothingness while baking at gas mark 6.

The things I have to do to keep her happy.

Had to put my foot down over the one she wanted though, a big old bus that had been owned by an Italian and was named the Italian Mafia Tour Bus

Last edited by karawara88; Nov 26th 2003 at 11:14 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 11:07 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you have a fab trip!
keep in touch with us all !!

Sue
Old Nov 26th 2003, 11:24 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, wow! Good one (I hope!)
I do think this will be the cheapest way though, and you'll get to see heaps of Australia!

So, leaving in January?

Check out the thread from a while ago, from Hup/hevs where everyone gave tips on crossing the Nullabor! It's not that bad you know!

Photo of the first bit of straight Eyre Highway, taken from our campervan (a bit newer though) in 1988, on our trip round Oz:
Hmm, not the Nullabor yet though I see, there's still trees!
Attached Thumbnails We're Going For It!!!!-1988_23_0802.jpg  
Old Nov 26th 2003, 11:35 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
That's really good news about the trip guys. I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time. Have you done an itinery or are you just going to see where the cosmic winds blow you?! How long is the trip for?

We sold our car today and lost $12000 in 17 months. Bummer! 3k in 6 is pretty bad!

Take plenty of CDs/tapes (my one piece of advice for long-distance driving!!)

Have fun, hope to hear about your adventures.
HP
We are kind of 'planning' as we go at the moment The van doesn't have a CD player I think it does have a radio. I am sure some bits will be hard going but overall its should be a lot of fun.

The reason we decided to get the van in the end was that it really gave us freedom from tight timescales, our money should stretch out for longer and we will at the very least have a good long holiday. I reckon on the whole we are loooking at a couple of months, but we haven't thought all of that through yet.

Chris thinks it is an endurance test for him. We were talking about celebrating our first wedding anniversary somewhere exotic but now it looks like we could be in a campervan in the middle of the desert

I am going to scour through the forum for suggestions and tips for crossing the Nullabor, I know water etc is essential. We need to think of a name for our van and although I maintain we have lost the plot it is the first time I have laughed so much for ages.

Chris is 6ft 3" and I assembled the bed in the van to see if he would fit, well most of him did, the money we save will be spent on chiropractic treatment on the east coast

Also I have just thought I could decorate it with some xmas lights and make it all seasonal....nice, not sure what Chris will think, I won't tell him just yet
Old Nov 26th 2003, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It sounds like a great thing to do. Am I the only one that has no idea where the Nullabor is?? I assume it is the desert between WA and EA.

I hope you manage to find happiness in the East coast then you wont have to return to Perth.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 11:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Tina, you're right the Nullabor is the desert between Perth and the rest of the country! About 5000 km across......

Donna & Chris,

We need to think of a name for our van
How about Priscilla, Queen of the Desert!
Old Nov 27th 2003, 12:01 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
How about Priscilla, Queen of the Desert!

LOL Not sure if Chris would go for high heels and a frock
Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Nullis Arbor or something like that - nae' trees in Latin. It extends almost to the SA border and includes the longest piece of straight rail track and road in the world. Watch out for the 'kangas' too - got a 'bull bar' on the front?

I'm really delighted to see what a pick-me-up this has given you Donna and Chris. If you get the time check out the Great Australian Bight (not bite) - fantastic scenery.

Good luck.

OzTennis
Old Nov 27th 2003, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a fantastic time. I think you have made the right move, because if Perth isn't working for you it's time to get out and have an adventure and have some enjoyment in your life. I must admit I am a bit envious of you, as it sounds like you are going to be having a lot of fun.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 5:25 am
Badge

Originally posted by OzTennis
extends almost to the SA border and includes the longest piece of straight rail track and road in the world.
yeah something like 400k of straight.

The train track does not parraellel the road. So you won't see the massive train whoosh by you 4 times a week...twice each way. and you wont see a weirdo called "Ziggy" who lives out in a hut made out of Milo tins somewhere out there..the train slows for him so they can deliver his mail...

watch for the roos.

Badgers "Spotter" Mount

Old Nov 27th 2003, 6:06 am
settling in, finally

bawi is an unknown quantity at this point

hi jiruppin and karawara

GOOD ON YER (shouted with a big grin!!)

you will love it, go for it, watch the roos, as i said before and make sure you sleep in the middle of nowhere and watch the stars, make sure you don't buy any fruit and veggie before ceduna (quarantine), make sure you see the great aussie bight, sometimes whales there. ok, i stop giving silly tips now,

ENJOY (another shout with smile!!!)
Old Nov 27th 2003, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Jirrupin
We had a drive out this afternoon, pulled into a car dealers, sold our car at a loss of $6000, in only 3 months

And after two hours of deliberation with several salesmen we bought an old camper van and we are going across the Nullabor and up the East Coast.

I think we are completely mad and Chris is wondering how he is going to manage being couped up in a tin can with a premenstral woman:scared:

But we felt mad or not, it will be a great (bone shaking) adventure.

Nullabor here we come

Wishing you the very best, i hope that you find the happiness you deserve
regards
rach, mark and chanelle
Old Nov 27th 2003, 6:23 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Jirrupin,

I think It's good news (not the bit about loosing money on the trade in) but about getting out & about in Oz. Try other town's & citie' s.

Treat it as a big adventure. It should bring you both together.

Bye
Markeh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.