Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're coming to QLD, but where shall we go?

We're coming to QLD, but where shall we go?

Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:12 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default We're coming to QLD, but where shall we go?

Hello!
COLOR=Indigo]This is my first post so, please bear with me if this question has been asked a hundred times before!
OH, the kids (aged 17 & 14) have decided that we've had enough of the UK and are just in the process of applying for PR. We're lucky that we have an occupation on the MODL so it'll be a sooner rather than later when we get our VISA!
We really fancy QLD but the question is.... How is employment in industry in the Central to Northern part of territory, up to Townsville. (OH is in engineering at the moment) My job is pretty transferrable as I'm a medical rep and therefore, where there's hospitals/ Doctors, I can find a job!
Also the climate.... I've studied the graphs and temperatures but a general 'feeling' would be helpful.... what's the rain like in December say, and how does the humidity affect you?
We live 'in the sticks' at the moment but need to be a little closer to the action for the boys....
Suggestions, will be very gratefully accepted. We're, hopefully, coming over for a Reccy visit over Christmas so pointers of places to look at would be really great!
Thank you for any input you have[/COLOR]

Ali
Old Aug 29th 2006, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: We're coming to QLD, but where shall we go?

Originally Posted by alipally
Hello!
COLOR=Indigo]This is my first post so, please bear with me if this question has been asked a hundred times before!
OH, the kids (aged 17 & 14) have decided that we've had enough of the UK and are just in the process of applying for PR. We're lucky that we have an occupation on the MODL so it'll be a sooner rather than later when we get our VISA!
We really fancy QLD but the question is.... How is employment in industry in the Central to Northern part of territory, up to Townsville. (OH is in engineering at the moment) My job is pretty transferrable as I'm a medical rep and therefore, where there's hospitals/ Doctors, I can find a job!
Also the climate.... I've studied the graphs and temperatures but a general 'feeling' would be helpful.... what's the rain like in December say, and how does the humidity affect you?
We live 'in the sticks' at the moment but need to be a little closer to the action for the boys....
Suggestions, will be very gratefully accepted. We're, hopefully, coming over for a Reccy visit over Christmas so pointers of places to look at would be really great!

Ali
Can you elaborate on what your other half does in engineering. Manufacturing is booming here and all tradesman are in big demand here. We are in western brisbane, living in Forest lake and working in Wacol. Couldn't tell you about Northern Queensland at this point but I am a Maintenance Fitter and I was offered work a day after looking. Turned it down as I wanted more holiday and the company was a bit of a doghole. All in all Queensland is booming and you will have no worries getting work, however the wages are about 30% down on the UK with a cost of living very similar to the UK.

"You'll love it"

Sean
Old Aug 29th 2006, 11:26 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Ali
We did our reccie to Townsville and the Gold Coast in February and it was VERY hot and humid in both places. We did get used to it quite quickly but the first few days were pretty uncomfortable Townsville is in the 'dry' tropics but even so it does get a fair amount of rain in the summer but very little in the winter. Lovely long winters where the weather is near perfect and we love living here. It's been around 24-28c and sunny since we arrived in June, apart from about 4 or 5 days. I personally couldn't cope with an outside job here in the summer but if you're indoors with air-con it's fine. Christmas is a great time to visit as it will give you an idea of whether you can cope with the heat........or not :scared:
Old Aug 29th 2006, 11:31 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sean
Hubby is currently working as Production manager, but is a toolmaker by trade. He is thinking that he would like to do applications engineering when we get there, but, you know beggars can't be choosers!
We've been looking at loads of properties on the net and think that we will be able to be mortgage free, which means that the cost of living thing won't really bother us too much as we have a stonking great mortgage at the moment that takes up most of our salaries!
We would just like some pointers as to which towns we should be looking to live in, so that we can investigate properly in December when we visit.
Thanks for your reply!

Ali
Old Aug 29th 2006, 11:38 am
Ping pong PoM

Originally Posted by The A Team
We did our reccie to Townsville and the Gold Coast in February and it was VERY hot and humid in both places. We did get used to it quite quickly but the first few days were pretty uncomfortable Townsville is in the 'dry' tropics but even so it does get a fair amount of rain in the summer but very little in the winter. Lovely long winters where the weather is near perfect and we love living here. It's been around 24-28c and sunny since we arrived in June, apart from about 4 or 5 days. I personally couldn't cope with an outside job here in the summer but if you're indoors with air-con it's fine. Christmas is a great time to visit as it will give you an idea of whether you can cope with the heat........or not :scared:
Well Hello the A Team!!!

Thanks for the info regarding the weather, human interpretation of charts and graphs is sooo important!
I have to say that I'm drawn to Townsville (I've no idea why it just seems to be calling me!) although if there's no work it will be out of the question for us.
when did you move? Is the beach as great as it looks on all the photos I keep seeing?
Tell me tell me tell me??? ( I'm a bit excitable )

Ali
Old Aug 29th 2006, 11:58 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Well Hello the A Team!!!

Thanks for the info regarding the weather, human interpretation of charts and graphs is sooo important!
I have to say that I'm drawn to Townsville (I've no idea why it just seems to be calling me!) although if there's no work it will be out of the question for us.
when did you move? Is the beach as great as it looks on all the photos I keep seeing?
Tell me tell me tell me??? ( I'm a bit excitable )

Ali
It's funny, but I was drawn to Townsville too and I knew immediately we came on our reccie that this was the place for us. Lovely beaches, mountain backdrops and beautiful Magnetic Island just a short ferry ride away. Cairns, Mission Beach/Dunk Island and the Whitsundays are all possible to drive to for a long weekend.

Yes it is hot, very hot in the summer and the beaches will probably be almost deserted when you're here in December as it's stinger season and the sea is a no go area unless you wear a stinger suit and/or swim in the stinger nets. Most people here have their own pools though.

It's very pretty and tropical and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.... however it does all come down to jobs so concentrate on finding employment before you get too carried away
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:27 pm
Hibees Hibees

gary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nice

Hi Sean
Hubby is currently working as Production manager, but is a toolmaker by trade. He is thinking that he would like to do applications engineering when we get there, but, you know beggars can't be choosers!
We've been looking at loads of properties on the net and think that we will be able to be mortgage free, which means that the cost of living thing won't really bother us too much as we have a stonking great mortgage at the moment that takes up most of our salaries!
We would just like some pointers as to which towns we should be looking to live in, so that we can investigate properly in December when we visit.
Thanks for your reply!

Ali
Hiya we are going for a reccie in October and we also like the look of Townsville so we are spending a few days there before travelling down the coast to Brisbane stopping along the route to check out towns. Employment,schools for kids ,suburbs etc are the main topics on our check list.
gaz&jewls
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:34 pm
Ping pong PoM

Originally Posted by gary stewart
Hiya we are going for a reccie in October and we also like the look of Townsville so we are spending a few days there before travelling down the coast to Brisbane stopping along the route to check out towns. Employment,schools for kids ,suburbs etc are the main topics on our check list.
gaz&jewls
Hi,
Thanks for replying, we look forward to hearing about your trip in advance of our own.

Ali
Old Aug 29th 2006, 9:00 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

www.capricorncoast.com.au another option
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:19 am
Ping pong PoM

Originally Posted by biggy
HI Biggy,
Another area to add to our reccie then, it looks idillyc!
Will have to stop off there for a couple of days at least!
Jon & Ali
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:39 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Biggy,
Another area to add to our reccie then, it looks idillyc!
Will have to stop off there for a couple of days at least!
Jon & Ali
if u do give me a shout and we can meet up fir a beer