Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're being ripped off here!

We're being ripped off here!

Old Jan 6th 2006, 4:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: We're being ripped off here!

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
for those of you who are moaning about the cost of living and being ripped off move to someplace that doesn't, and if you find a place let us know
Good call!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're being ripped off here!

You could always grow your own.............
At least in Australia, there's room in the back yard for a vegie patch, enabling you to enjoy the spray-free alternative to the usual 'glow-in-the-dark' selection available at your local supermarket. Happy days!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
for those of you who are moaning about the cost of living and being ripped off move to someplace that doesn't, and if you find a place let us know

I've heard tales, whether they are 100 pct factual or not, of people taking long service leave from where we work, for 6 months at half pay, to Thailand, and coming back with plenty of money left over.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 4:41 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

gosh, I think I best stay here in England since the food prices are so expensive there!!

Who cares about missing my family & being miserable here! Least I have tesco & cheap veggies

Susan

PS - It is generally not a good thing to compare Australia to England. I did the opposite when I moved back to the UK - giving myself regular heart attacks over things like clothing & shoe prices, however the quality of life is much better in Australia (IMHO) and I shan't be worrying about the cost of some fruit n veggies when I do finally make it back. It is a shame, that things are more expensive, but then I am sure in other countries, they have even cheaper fruit n veg than the UK. Swings n roundabouts as someone else said
Old Jan 8th 2006, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Importation has nothing to do with it. Most imported stuff is cheaper (global economy), that's why it's imported. The main probems are lack of competition & the fact that Aussies put up with being ripped off. It's the Aussie way. It's the same way that we get reamed by Federal & State governments on tax & Aussies say 'that's the Aussie way' or 'we are a young country & our infrastructure needs paying for' rather than question the government on how they our wasting our tax dollars. The 'Aussie way' is get shafted & smile about it because the sun is shining. Bollox.
For a minute, I thought you were talking about Ireland there!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Weve just been back to england, steak, beef, soap powder and cheese were the only things that were more expensive in the UK. The cheese was only dearer if you compared BI LO homebrand, not if you compared say crackerbarrel.

The difference in price of some items like yogurt for 8p compared to twin packs at $2.30 was laughable, many things like that.

Coming back the prices here seem lunacy, capsicums (which grow easily here, not imported) yesterday were $13.99 a kilo, commented on it to aussie guy buying one, he weighed the one capsicum in his hand and it was $6

Agree with others more people in OZ need to make a fuss, not just accept it.

Edit. wrong price

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 25th 2006 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:31 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Just take a look at this lot. These are a few prices that Mum sent me over the other day, after she'd done her food shop. Mums just gone back to the UK after spending 5 weeks with us here. She was shocked at how expensive it is here.

1 kg. carrots 29p.
Cucumber 44p. I PAID $1.98
1kg. onions 25p. RED ONIONS ARE $4.99 A KILO
medium-size cabbage 35p. I PAID $1.75 FOR HALF A CABBAGE
1kg. bananas 59p. $3.99 A KILO HERE
Carton cherry toms. 44p. I PAID $1.98 A SMALL PUNNET ON "SPECIAL"
2 baby lettuce hearts 44p. DON'T GET ME STARTED ON LETTUCE PRICES!
350.gm button mushrooms 40p. DON'T LIKE 'EM SO DUNNO
Medium-size broccoli 47p. $3.99 A KILO HERE
1kg. washed salad potatoes 54p. I PAID $6.95 A BAG
Frozen 9+lb. turkey on "special" £4.95. $14.99 A KILO OVER CHRISTMAS. I KNOW THEY HAVE TO BE IMPORTED BUT DO THEY HAVE TO FLY FIRST CLASS?

Where do they get off charging so much for food here? I still nearly hyperventilate over the price of a decent quality loaf of bread....$3.47 for Helga's. :scared:
Please let me know where your mother shops. Those prices are unbelievable and nothing like those I have ever seen in the UK in Sainsburys, Tescos or Asda. Cheap yucky cherry tomatoes are at least 99p/pack, nicer ones about £2.50.

So please don't feel ripped off. Food is definitely cheaper in Aus!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

I do think that prices have gone up since we arrived 2 years ago - esp groceries. My family are constantly telling me of the offers they are getting over there. My mum got me some lovely pajamas - cotton, trendy from Marks & Sparks for £1!

Still nice and cheap to eat out here though - am still pleasantly surprised at quality and price.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:37 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>
So please don't feel ripped off. Food is definitely cheaper in Aus!<<

Not in my experience. Having done a comparison UK-Oz it's significantly dearer here.

And at the moment - last few months anyway - you just can't get any decent fruit. Oz bananas are very variable from tasteless to disgusting with the occasional nice batch and as for apples.......... We used to get quite decent Coxs from NZ in the UK (after the EU virtually destroyed the UK growers) but I've never seen a single one here.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:13 pm
Gill Palmer

Originally Posted by Wol
>>
So please don't feel ripped off. Food is definitely cheaper in Aus!<<

Not in my experience. Having done a comparison UK-Oz it's significantly dearer here.

And at the moment - last few months anyway - you just can't get any decent fruit. Oz bananas are very variable from tasteless to disgusting with the occasional nice batch and as for apples.......... We used to get quite decent Coxs from NZ in the UK (after the EU virtually destroyed the UK growers) but I've never seen a single one here.
First entry on this thread - frozen turkeys flying first class- had me screaming with laughter. Priceless. Haven't time to read the whole thread, but why aren't there any turkey farms in Australia? Do they need Grot British Weather to thrive or something, turkeys?

What does Roast Emu taste like? Pluck it, chop its legs off and it would fit on a platter. Would feed a large Christmas gathering as well by the look of' 'em.

Gill

Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:43 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Just take a look at this lot. These are a few prices that Mum sent me over the other day, after she'd done her food shop. Mums just gone back to the UK after spending 5 weeks with us here. She was shocked at how expensive it is here.

1 kg. carrots 29p.
Frozen 9+lb. turkey on "special" £4.95. $14.99 A KILO OVER CHRISTMAS. I KNOW THEY HAVE TO BE IMPORTED BUT DO THEY HAVE TO FLY FIRST CLASS?

Where do they get off charging so much for food here? I still nearly hyperventilate over the price of a decent quality loaf of bread....$3.47 for Helga's. :scared:

The problem is, that WA is going through what the UK went through years ago. Over here, the farmers have control over the supermarkets instead of the other way round, like the UK. The farmers here also have massive voting power so the government do little to anger them. In the UK, the farmers are the same as you and I, one man, one vote so they get walked all over and forced to drop their prices as the supermarkets dictate what they will pay, not the the farmer saying what he will sell for.

I believe that things will change, as more people come over here knowing that they can get things cheaper elsewhere, we should start importing more. It'll take a brave supermarket chain to start it, but if they all follow suit, it should eventually go in our favour.

I'm thinking of writing a letter to ASDA's in the UK to get them to open a store here....anyone want to sign a petition?

Steve.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:51 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

1 kg. carrots 29p.

I didn't realise there was a Harrods in Perth

Food is marginally more expensive here but the prices you've quoted are way over the top. For example I bought bananas in Woollies a couple of days ago for $1.73 / Kg and I would expect to pay less than your single cucmber price for a kilo of them.

Have a look at Coles Online. You can browse the products without buying, though you do have to register your details.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:56 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SteveBannister
The problem is, that WA is going through what the UK went through years ago. Over here, the farmers have control over the supermarkets instead of the other way round, like the UK. The farmers here also have massive voting power so the government do little to anger them. In the UK, the farmers are the same as you and I, one man, one vote so they get walked all over and forced to drop their prices as the supermarkets dictate what they will pay, not the the farmer saying what he will sell for.

I believe that things will change, as more people come over here knowing that they can get things cheaper elsewhere, we should start importing more. It'll take a brave supermarket chain to start it, but if they all follow suit, it should eventually go in our favour.

I'm thinking of writing a letter to ASDA's in the UK to get them to open a store here....anyone want to sign a petition?

Steve.
It is very difficult to make comparisons for one the U.K. market is three times that of Australia which in turn gives British importers far greater buying power as most produce comes from overseas also one finds it is very often the case that exported goods are far cheaper for foriegn consumers When U.k. had a car market the cars where sold far cheaper in Usa. than U.K. I bet Australian wines can be bought cheaper in the U.k. simply because of the volumes. we consume.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve.

MEEEEEE!!!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Steve.
Steve,
I've already written to Tesco asking them if they were considering coming to Australia - that it was a market ripe for competition etc etc.

They wrote back to me telling me that they would not comment on their market strategy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.