Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wembley...Good Place to Live??

Wembley...Good Place to Live??

Old May 10th 2010, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

MB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really nice
Cool Wembley...Good Place to Live??

Hey All

I will be moving to Perth with my girlfriend in September and we have been looking at suburbs to stay which are not too far from the CBD but not a trek to the beach. We are both in our 20s and like to go out for a good drink, hence close to the CBD, but would like to be within walking (or cycling) distance of the beach.

I think Wembley looks ideal, Cambridge Street in particular, as it is less than 3miles to the beach and the CBD (according to Google Earth). I have read previous posts on this site and most agree that buying here is very expensive.

We will be renting at first so, providing that we could afford it, are there any other problems that we should know about Wembley? Is there any problems with Hoons in the area (not sure what that means but I've seen it on previous posts I'm guessing it is chavs or neds).

Any feedback would much appreciated
Old May 10th 2010, 2:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wembley...Good Place to Live??

Originally Posted by MB - On the Way
Hey All

I will be moving to Perth with my girlfriend in September and we have been looking at suburbs to stay which are not too far from the CBD but not a trek to the beach. We are both in our 20s and like to go out for a good drink, hence close to the CBD, but would like to be within walking (or cycling) distance of the beach.

I think Wembley looks ideal, Cambridge Street in particular, as it is less than 3miles to the beach and the CBD (according to Google Earth). I have read previous posts on this site and most agree that buying here is very expensive.

We will be renting at first so, providing that we could afford it, are there any other problems that we should know about Wembley? Is there any problems with Hoons in the area (not sure what that means but I've seen it on previous posts I'm guessing it is chavs or neds).

It's a nice area - I'd live there.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a nice area and I'd live there too.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:35 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah it's a good area. Cambridge st only has 2 bars though. your a 10-15min walk to Subiaco which is a main nightlife precint though.

your lookin at 150-200 per room per week.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's a good suburb, close to Subiaco, CBD and not too far from the beach. However, a 3 mile cycle in the UK cannot be compared to a long cycle here in hot weather and there's a fairly long and big hill to get past at Bold Park. I wouldn't do it, but then we live close enough to the beach to walk. In no way would it be seen as a beach suburb, but it is good around Cambridge Street for the pub/cafe lifestyle you want. I don't think there would be much of a bus service from Wembley to the beach. City Beach and Floreat Beach are the most direct ones. Scarborough is more lively, but there's no bus service there either from Wembley.

Alternatives would be Mosman Park (river, close to beach and train stations, as well as many units), Cottesloe (close to beach, lots of units, but expensive) and Floreat is just west of Wembley (but not many units or smaller homes). Nedlands is also worth a look, the University of Western Australia and Kings Park are here, lots of units, on the river and on bus route to Cottesloe. Claremont for same reasons, plus there's also a railway line. All of these suburbs have at least one pub and cafe areas.

I'm not a huge fan of Wembley, nothing wrong with it, it just seems to rub me up the wrong way. The IGA supermarket there is only open 6 days. There are some very busy roads that I would avoid living on (Cambridge, Harborne, Grantham), but as a family with young kids we would avoid them anyway. Lots of the units are of the older variety, largish blocks (for Perth) and fairly cramped. The older houses can be nice. A friend rents for $300/wk but her landlord is putting that up to $420 in a few months, so she will move on.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:55 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Wembley is a good suburb for wealthy middle income owners between the age brackets of 35-55. Hardly a young persons area. Personally there are better areas for people your age.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:09 am
Just Joined

MB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really niceMB - On the Way is just really nice

Thanks all for your help!

I will look into the other areas you have suggested as well.
Old May 12th 2010, 2:59 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Weebie
Wembley is a good suburb for wealthy middle income owners between the age brackets of 35-55. Hardly a young persons area. Personally there are better areas for people your age.

I'd agree with this, We lived in Wembley, but we were in our thirties with young children. And others are right when they talk about that Bold Park hill.....
I think if I was in my twenties I'd go for Leederville, Subi etc. Or to be closer to the beach, Scarborough, Trigg, although it's a few years since we lived in Perth, so I'm not sure how expensive these areas are now.
Old May 12th 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MB - On the Way
Hey All

What about Subiaco, Leederville or West Perth? They are perfect for 20-somethings who like a it of nightlife but close to CBD.

Wembley has lots of units but they tend to be on busy streets like Cambridge and Grantham.

Cottesloe is obviously a wealthy beach-side suburb but it does have a young vibe too and there are plenty of units.