Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Welsh people in Oz....

Welsh people in Oz....

Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Welsh people in Oz....

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
How many of you are recent arrivals in Australia and where are you living now?

Also....how many from Wales are planning to go?

Steve
we are a family of 5 recently moved from caerphilly south wales to melbourne.
we have been here since late march and so far so good, everybody settled really well, kids (11yrs 9yrs & 3yrs) have settled quicker than myself, cant believe how well they have settled!
anyway good luck to all those still in the process of visa application!
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Look out for Shecha...she's from Newport, and I believe her pal Teach is too. Shecha's been busy nose to the grindstone recently but she'll be on here soon...can't help herself! In fact she'll cut to the chase and just check what threads I've been perusing....CAUGHT YA!!!
Old Aug 6th 2005, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carloubateman
we are a family of 5 recently moved from caerphilly south wales to melbourne.
we have been here since late march and so far so good, everybody settled really well, kids (11yrs 9yrs & 3yrs) have settled quicker than myself, cant believe how well they have settled!
anyway good luck to all those still in the process of visa application!
Hi, It all sounds good! How long did it take for all your paperwork etc. to go through? Did you use an agent?

Which part of Mellie are you in?

Steve & Lynn
Old Aug 6th 2005, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by of2oz
hello, we moved to mount Eliza ( south east Melbourne ) from Swansea in march and are really enjoying the experience, we have met quite a few welsh out here and most love Australia, i look forward to meeting many of you some time in the future, good luck.

Steve and family.

Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you. How are you finding life in Melbourne? If truth be told we would really love to live on the Gold Coast (in Burleigh Heads to be specific) but financial reality decrees that I have to go where the work is - in Melbourne or Sydney.

As Lynn has relatives in Melbourne, it makes sense to start from there.

Will definitely gather us all for a beer when we arrive!

Steve (and Lynn)
Old Aug 6th 2005, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by numbers
hi, me and the missus are lookig to go next yr, we live in Cimla, Neath. My partner is a nurse so shouldnt find any trouble getting job, we have all our docs ready to apply for Visa 136, weve got our 60 points assessments. Only decision is whether to go. Were going on hol in Nov to Perth which is the place where were lookig, but Jobs are a worry and wages, both nursing and my profession pay a lot less in Perth, and is a worry. We couldnt afford to go to Sydney or Mebourne, house prices too high there now. Problem of living in Wales is that we havent accumulated 100's of 1000's in colateral like those living in england (or cardiff areas). Anyway good luck. Maybe we should have a South Wales Meet!!!

Tony

Hi Tony

The thing is with Oz that as wages are lower than in the UK so is the cost of living. Although not having the direct experience of having lived in Australia we have visited and discovered this for ourselves and had this related to us by Lynn's relatives.

I know what you mean about house prices though. I am currently working in Surrey Monday to Friday and the prices there are un-believable when you come from South Wales! But of course if you sell a house there and move to Oz you are loaded! Unfortunately, the house we will have to sell is in South Wales...and we'll probably be lucky to trade its value for the same in Oz.

Have you tried looking at South Australia? The prices in Adelaide are not too bad and the State Govt. are actively seeking English-speaking immigrants.

Hope things work out for you.

Steve & Lynn
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve

Thanks to all those who replied.

Perhaps we'll get to meet some day!

Steve & Lynn
Old Aug 9th 2005, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough

Hi, It all sounds good! How long did it take for all your paperwork etc. to go through? Did you use an agent?

Which part of Mellie are you in?

Steve & Lynn
we did use agents, we went to the first meeting in march 2003, and were told it would take roughly 6 months for visas to arrive (what a joke) we finally got visas late march of this year, so took a little longer than was 1st told!
we are currently living in avonsleigh, about an hour away from airport!

good luck with the application
Old Aug 9th 2005, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carloubateman
we did use agents, we went to the first meeting in march 2003, and were told it would take roughly 6 months for visas to arrive (what a joke) we finally got visas late march of this year, so took a little longer than was 1st told!
we are currently living in avonsleigh, about an hour away from airport!

good luck with the application
Hi Thanks for the Good Wishes.

We are going to use Global Visas...and could possibly get the visas within a year. The giid thing for us is that there is no immediate hurry in any case as we will have children going through A-Levels and GCSEs in 2 years time and will not move until they have completed.

See you in 2007?

Steve & Lynn
Old Aug 16th 2005, 11:13 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Steve

Hi Steve,

We are from Wales - Newport and we now live in Bray Park - Pine Rivershire - just north of Brisbane.

Got here in March.

Where are you heading???

Shell
Old Aug 16th 2005, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shecha
Hi Steve,

We are from Wales - Newport and we now live in Bray Park - Pine Rivershire - just north of Brisbane.

Got here in March.

Where are you heading???

Shell
We would love to be on the Gold Coast in QLD. But there is more demand for my line of computing in Melbourne/Sydney - so will problably choose Melbourne as Lynn as relatives there.

We were in QLD at Easter - staying in Burleigh Heads - about an hour south of Brissie.

Steve
Old Aug 16th 2005, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future

Steve

Hi Guys,

We're from Merthyr, and arrived in Melbourne in November.

Good luck with your application.

Colin
Old Aug 16th 2005, 9:15 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Steve

Hiya Steve

Myself, hubby and son (3) are off to Wollongong (South of Sydney) in January. I'm studying for a nursing degree there. Three year degree on student visa, then residency...then job done!!!

We're in Cardiff and cannot wait to leave!!! whooo hoooooooooo

Good luck....be interesting to hear how ya get on!

Rachel x
Old Aug 16th 2005, 10:28 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hiya Steve,

I was born and bred in Pembrokeshire, but spend all my UK working life in London. I now live on the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hiya Steve,

I was born and bred in Pembrokeshire, but spend all my UK working life in London. I now live on the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne.

Cheers
Alistair

Hi Alistair,

From what we have heard already that sounds a nice place to live.

Thanks

Steve & Lynn
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Welshie
Hiya Steve

Myself, hubby and son (3) are off to Wollongong (South of Sydney) in January. I'm studying for a nursing degree there. Three year degree on student visa, then residency...then job done!!!

We're in Cardiff and cannot wait to leave!!! whooo hoooooooooo

Good luck....be interesting to hear how ya get on!

Rachel x
Hi Rachel,

We are having problems at the mo' - not sure we can get family sponsor/assurer anymore. My man at Global Visas is not sure I can get a visa any other way.

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.