Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well were in (Another Garretts update!!)

Well were in (Another Garretts update!!)

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 9:16 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well were in (Another Garretts update!!)

Its time for another Garrett update (groan). We did our final inspection on the house on Sunday and we moved into our new house on Monday!!! Hooray.

Moving was quite fun for me as I had to work all day. Hev roped in a few people and had a fairly crappy day. She was reversing the trailer when it turned and scratched the car. Now this in itself would be quite bad but it was compounded by the fact that the car she was driving at the time was her mums brand new X-trail :scared: . Also the removal men for the old owners took down the phone line with there van. There were a few other minor dramas along the way but we got in. I arrived home to find Chinese waiting for me. This was a positive note in that it was a pretty decent takeaway and not far away. After eating and putting the kids down we put the dishes in the dishwasher and switch it on. It was the one that the previous owners left and looked pretty cronky. It chugged on for a bit and then blew out the electric (power points only). We then realised we didn't know were the fuse box was and much hunting ensued and we got power back.

One lesson we learnt is that if you are buying a house with a pool that you should stipulate in your offer terms that the pool should be maintained and handed over in a clean state. We need to get the pool man out to do the chemical stuff and it needs a serious clean.

We sat in our house that first night and looked out at the cockatoos and other birds and said "I think were gonna be happy here"

Our stuff hasn't arrived yet from the UK so were looking a little bit roomy in the house but we've managed to beg steal and borrow the essentials.

On the second day a universal law was proved. The law states that deliverymen (Sorry if any of you guys are one) are shit. Hev waited in all day to take delivery of the fridge and it didn't turn up.

I did get a phonecall at 7.30 this morning (24th) saying that it would be there between 10.30 and 12.30. We are also expecting the washing machine to turn up today so fingers crossed.

Kids loved there first week at school. I liked my first week at work and we're happy in our new home for Xmas. All the presents and bought and most of them are wrapped we just aint got no food or drink yet (No fridge) so big shops ahoy as work finishes at 1pm today.

Anyway as theres no phone line til Saturday (Or Satday if speaking Australian) Hev cant get on the Net so I thought I'd pass on the updates. She'll be back in the New Year.

Merry Christmas everyone
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 9:22 pm
visa'd member oh yeah!

CROSSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, nice to hear from you again glad you're "in" and well done for missing that hup!! have a great crimbo and a happy new year
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a fantastic Christmas in your new home down under - with or without fridge I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Claire
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 9:24 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice to hear you're in.

Talking about cranky dishwashers, some people are unbelievably dirty and disgusting, aren't they? The dishwasher we acquired as part of our move into the new place is quite a good modern one with 2 compartments...but the old cow we bought it from obviously hadn't cleaned it for at least a few months. I took out the obvious bits you need to clean and it was full of horrible old manky rotting food and mould growing where you can't see.

Disgusting.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 9:28 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Nice to hear you're in.

Talking about cranky dishwashers, some people are unbelievably dirty and disgusting, aren't they? The dishwasher we acquired as part of our move into the new place is quite a good modern one with 2 compartments...but the old cow we bought it from obviously hadn't cleaned it for at least a few months. I took out the obvious bits you need to clean and it was full of horrible old manky rotting food and mould growing where you can't see.

Disgusting.
The house was minging with a capital MING. Kitchen unclean, windows greasy and horrible, ensuite dirty, carpets filthy. etc etc. Luckily though it was just a bit of elbow grease required (Even better it wasn't my elbow grease as I was at work.) But your right Don some people are gross. I would nopt dream of letting my house go in that state.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 9:33 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by HUP
The house was minging with a capital MING. Kitchen unclean, windows greasy and horrible, ensuite dirty, carpets filthy. etc etc. Luckily though it was just a bit of elbow grease required (Even better it wasn't my elbow grease as I was at work.) But your right Don some people are gross. I would nopt dream of letting my house go in that state.
Reminds me of the unit we moved into when we first got here. It took over 30 hours of cleaning to get it properly clean.

And there were......
Attached Thumbnails Well were in (Another Garretts update!!)-cockies.jpg  
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 9:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

ARGHH!!! Its one of them cockroaches! Get rid of it!!!!:scared:
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 10:01 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Pollyana
ARGHH!!! Its one of them cockroaches! Get rid of it!!!!:scared:
Relax - it's dead!

It was amusing, in a way. The unit was supposed to have been cleaned before we moved in, and when we found that it was in this state we went in to the estate agents and told the licencee. He started with the old flannel about 'Ah, we'll have to get someone in to examine the place and see if it really is that bad...', at which I said' Oh, that's okay - I've filmed it and have still pictures as well in this camera. Would you like to see them?'

Digital pictures? His face was a picture!

It still took them three weeks to get a cleaner around, as I refused point blank to let Mrs DUP clean the stove / oven. That was an inch deep in gunge!
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great to read your updates. it sounds like you have sorted things out brilliantly. Some things are the same the world over-delivery men!!

Those Cockroaches are gross:scared:
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 10:08 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

There is good money cleaning rental units. A colleague makes up to $50 an hour plus his mate who runs the business takes a cut on top of that. Not for everyone but if you need the cash you cannot be fussy.
Old Dec 24th 2003, 9:01 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default Re: Well were in (Another Garretts update!!)

Originally posted by HUP
Its time for another Garrett update (groan). We did our final inspection on the house on Sunday and we moved into our new it clean.

Anyway as theres no phone line til Saturday (Or Satday if speaking Australian) Hev cant get on the Net so I thought I'd pass on the updates. She'll be back in the New Year.

Merry Christmas everyone
Hi hup, hows things now you are in your new abode? i bet the neighbours thought the bloody griswalds had moved in

talk about laurel and hardy, had to laugh though, i would have helped but with 3 kids in tow it would have been much worse i can tell thee. Doubt you will be on again tonight so i will wish you all a merry christmas and cya soon,
johanne and clan xxx
Old Dec 24th 2003, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Heather & Co

Hello guys,
sorry to hear about the disasters along the way but hey it all ended happily,
so pleased for you all, take care, have a great first Christmas down under and have a fantastic New Year
best wishes
rach, mark and chanelle x
Old Dec 24th 2003, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice
Default Re: Well were in (Another Garretts update!!)

Great to read your updates.

Going through an emotional, "I'm going to miss my family" phase at the moment. So hearing that you are enjoying life in Melbourne keeps me feeling positive.

Hope to book the flights to Melbourne as soon as we get my passport back with visa sticker in it (as got married & changed passport to new name) & when a tenant for our house sorted out.

Hopefully should be in Melbourne by end of Feb.

Have a brill Christmas!