Reload this Page >

Well we made it to NZ

Well we made it to NZ

Old Jul 18th 2002, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

karenb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Well we made it to NZ

Greetings everyone,

I haven't written on this forum for ages - sorry about that been busy packing up shop in the UK and settling here in NZ, also then forgot password so had to re-register as karenb not karen as we also had a new e-mail address!

So we have finally settled in Auckland we were really lucky and have found a 2bed cottage to rent in Devonport on the North Shore. The real bonus is that not only do we have a ferry link to the CBD but we also have a view of the harbour from the lounge and bedroom! If anyone fancies a quick look check out www.steveandkaren.co.nz This also shows some of our travels round the Northland.

All we need to do know is find work as we are on a work permit to gain the extra point that we need. Steve is the important one as he was the principal applicant. We are finding that in this market it is definitely who you know and not what you know so he's just trying to network and get contacts at the moment. Also the market that he works in within IT as a Team leader for a web design team is a bit slow at the moment so that doesn't help. Still it's early days yet we have until December the 6th!

I'm on a working holiday visa so can do temp work which I will hopefully have sorted after an interview today sometime.

So good luck to everyone applying at the moment, it is worth it, the people are really friendly and the scenery is fantastic to say the least. We are just waiting for summer as the weather in Auckland has been dire over the last few weeks - it rained nearly everyday for 40 days!! Just like being at home really!

Good luck everyone and enjoy

Karen
Old Jul 19th 2002, 6:10 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Well we made it to NZ

Hi Karen

Nice to hear you're enjoying it apart from the weather!

Is that a Subaru 4WD I see lurking and how much did it cost/ age? (Sorry to be nosy!)

All the best
Old Jul 19th 2002, 10:44 am
Just Joined

karenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Not a subaru but at Toyota Rav 4 (although I think Steve would have prefered this!!), brought from Voyager Motors on the Lake Road, Takapuna. Cost us around $18K and is a 1995 direct import from Japan.

Are you looking for a car?

Karen
Old Jul 19th 2002, 2:22 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

We will be! Have to get there first but 4WD definitely possible, do you get the impression that in NZ 4WD will be frequently useful offroad too? - as when I was in Aus I definitely considered this to be the case.

Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2002, 9:20 pm
Ian Guy

Paid too much for that car! Get yourself down Turners auctions (www.turners.co.nz)
cheaper and with warranty. BTW Auckland (or Dorkland as it is affectionately known)
is the wettest place in NZ (fact from last years weather stats), just pippung
Wellington. When we arrived (April 2001) it was torrential for about a month, then we
had frost to -5 in the night for a month - and were in a bach with only a log burner.
Fortunately from late November till April it was between 22 and 28c EVERY DAY!!! We
have a neat (how kiwi is that) picture of our kids playing on the beach in Sept in
swimwear - even though it was mid winter it was 18c - the locals were wearing coats
(Bay of Plenty we live - it is THE best place in the world!!) "newstartnz"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > We will be! Have to get there first but 4WD definitely possible, do you get the
    > impression that in NZ 4WD will be frequently useful offroad too?
    > - as when I was in Aus I definitely considered this to be the case.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    >
    >
    > --