Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well, that's it. Summer is over.

Well, that's it. Summer is over.

Old Aug 31st 2003, 6:09 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Well, that's it. Summer is over.

Well, after our annual three week summer, we're all back indoors again until next year. I've cleaned the swimming pool and stored it away again for another year, tidied up the garden and checked the central heating is working. It's been cloudy all day today and the weather doesn't seem to be showing many signs of improving. Stopped off at the local farm shop today to stock up on provisions and noticed that they've started selling christmas decoration already. What kind of country do we live in, when we get three weeks of summer and four months of christmas?

The nights are drawing in, so the curtains are getting closed earlier and earlier. Strange how the nights get shorter before summer even starts.

Wrap up everyone, another 11 months of winter is on the way.....
Old Aug 31st 2003, 6:16 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Well, that's it. Summer is over.

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Well, after our annual three week summer, we're all back indoors again until next year. I've cleaned the swimming pool and stored it away again for another year, tidied up the garden and checked the central heating is working. It's been cloudy all day today and the weather doesn't seem to be showing many signs of improving. Stopped off at the local farm shop today to stock up on provisions and noticed that they've started selling christmas decoration already. What kind of country do we live in, when we get three weeks of summer and four months of christmas?

The nights are drawing in, so the curtains are getting closed earlier and earlier. Strange how the nights get shorter before summer even starts.

Wrap up everyone, another 11 months of winter is on the way.....
I thought we'd had a fantastic summer this year....

And today in kent Was 24 and gorgeous. Been outside all day.
Old Aug 31st 2003, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

people's memory of weather is so short ...

june/july -plus the first part of august- was wet with below 'normal' temperatures

summer was poor with just 2 weeks of overly hot (for us) sunshine..

how does that make 'a fantastic summer' ?

cheers

richard

p.s the '4 months of christmas' line is spot on ;-)
Old Aug 31st 2003, 6:41 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Well after my winge yesturday, i'm about to give in and stick the heating on, i'm frozen! The leaves are falling off the horse chestnuts in the garden, autumn is definately comung!
Old Aug 31st 2003, 6:57 pm
plumber39

We had our first frost last night!

Old Aug 31st 2003, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I was freezing last night- I kept waking up and dreaming of extra blankets!! I must go and put my thick duvet back on the bed.

Maybe I should put the electric blanket back on as well. Is it worth buying a new one to take with us or do they sell them out there? Someone said it gets pretty cold at night and they are useful.
Old Aug 31st 2003, 7:18 pm
plumber39

Picking up some cellophane the wk end and getting started on the double glazing . Oh and water bottle's at the ready!

The plumber, still with house to sell!

Old Aug 31st 2003, 7:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

After 10 years of living on my own I am now remembering what its like to fight for the duvet/doona! The Bloke spent the first week in the UK being too hot, but is now getting a more realistic picture of the UK weather! He's a bit chilly and says he will never moan about the weather in Brissie again.....
Old Aug 31st 2003, 7:23 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by tinaj
I was freezing last night- I kept waking up and dreaming of extra blankets!! I must go and put my thick duvet back on the bed.

Maybe I should put the electric blanket back on as well. Is it worth buying a new one to take with us or do they sell them out there? Someone said it gets pretty cold at night and they are useful.
We lived in South Africa for 4 years. Although beautiful during the daytime, my wife had her side of the electric blanket on all night. And yes, it's been on again for the past few days. We're taking our blankets with us. Fully fitted blankets, dual controls and fleecy, very fleecy.

Apples are falling off the tree early this year before they are ready because of the heat and the blackberries have ripened sour. No crumble this year!

Richard is right, how short peoples memories are. 2-3 weeks of good weather and we pay for it for the rest of the year.

Last edited by SteveBannister; Aug 31st 2003 at 7:25 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2003, 7:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Tina - I'm reliably informed by the Bloke - "they do sell electric blankets-best brand Linda- but you should get it checked every year by Energex for safety. The cost is minimal or nothing at all, but check with Energex anyway. They do it very quickly!"
Old Aug 31st 2003, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Thanks Polyanna. I think I might treat ourselves to a new one, ours is looking a bit shabby and is too small for the bed!
I will have a look through my faithful Argos Book.

When is your fiance returning to Brissie?
Old Aug 31st 2003, 7:48 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by r.bartlett
people's memory of weather is so short ...

june/july -plus the first part of august- was wet with below 'normal' temperatures

summer was poor with just 2 weeks of overly hot (for us) sunshine..

how does that make 'a fantastic summer' ?

cheers

richard

p.s the '4 months of christmas' line is spot on ;-)
Well....maybe we have different definitions of a fantastic summer. I like temps or around 20-25, some rain to keep the place green, and nights where i can get a bit of shuteye.

And as for rainfall, sunlight hours and mean temperature. Its been better this year than it has for a long time. The only month that was even slightly questionable was May, which i regard as being spring, not summer. In any case, March was gorgeous, so it negates the dodgy May.

Need proof for YOUR short memory?

http://www.meto.gov.uk/climate/uk/2003/index.html
Old Aug 31st 2003, 9:11 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

What a lot of pessimists./ My glass is still half FULL

We are looking forward to the hot sunny day (whenever) when we shall have our goodbye party in the garden!!!!!
It will be super sunny and scrip (and I hope this year)

Old Aug 31st 2003, 9:37 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just got back from a lovely day out. We've been cruising up the Wareham river with friends. Moored up next to a local pub and sat in the sunshine for a few hours having a drink or two then back to a Sunday roast. This summer has been full of days on the beach and bbq's with friends and if I recall correctly started in March.

No complaints about the summer here.

Steph
Old Aug 31st 2003, 10:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well, that's it. Summer is over.

Originally posted by PeteY
I thought we'd had a fantastic summer this year....

And today in kent Was 24 and gorgeous. Been outside all day.
Best Summer I've experienced since arriving in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.