Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Old Mar 1st 2005, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

After being on this forum, for a week or more, I've noticed that new migrants are, heading in some cases, towards poorly paid jobs. This probably happens to a lot of new migrants and is probably par for the course when migrating to a new country. Hopefully the following information, will take some of the "Minefeild" of job finding away. The one thing they all have in common is late night or all night and weekend shifts and are rewarded with weekend/public holiday/night high penalty rates.

Because of night shift, as long as one works more than 10 sundays in a year, you will also get 5 weeks holiday per year.

Top "unskilled" Job in Melbourne, and probably Australia, from a wage point of view, will be unpalatable to most. However in Melbourne, they just advertised over 400 of these jobs. out at the new prison near hoppers crossing, Thats the Prison service, or corrections, Workers there on rotating 7 day shifts routinely earn more than 55,000++ Aud per year.

Dont worry the next 3 are all more palatable,

Tram Drivers, which gets advertised on a regular basis, the big drawback there are split shifts, All tram drivers routinely earn more than 50,000 Aud, thats including a little bit of overtime, less than 100 OT hours per year.

Anything to do with mailprocessing, including transporting, sorting, collating, coding etc, that involves night shift and weekend work. That has the bonus of being under a federal award, and is Australia wide, although one has to go through a year of casual work, before one can go permanent, and is very difficult to get onto permanent full time, However the partimers regulaly do full time hours. Full timers expect 50,000 aud plus, part timers, close to 40,000. Day time posties, one has to have a motor bike license before applying would average around 45,000 Aud full time, and 35,000 plus parttime.

Hospital porters/orderlies that work night shift, and work rotating shifts, will also expect to earn more than 50,000 Aud,

One other that I know off, although to a much lesser extent than the above, but worth mentioning as i Know it pays more than 50,000 grand is Monitoring burgular and fire alarms, for people like chubb etc.

There are other places that work rotating shifts, Factory type jobs Like Ford Australia, out in Cambellfield, South pacific tyres, again in Cambellfeild, Caroma here in Coburg, All would be rewarded with well into the 40,000's

Last one I know of, I'm sure there are more, is the Huge abatoirs at the end of the Western ringroad, close to the princes hway again not a palatable job, that goes 7 days a week i beleive, and workers there routinely earn more than 40,000.

I'm going to start another thread on where you should locate yourself, to get one of these jobs, as employers I beleive dont think just having a car is good enough, So one needs to have very good public transport links, to ensure as successful job application.

I hope the above is useful, and would like to appeal to established migrants in cities like Brisbane and Sydney to add to the above.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Here is the Url for finding and appling for jobs at Aussie post, Australia Wide.

http://www.auspost.com.au/jobsatpost/jobs.htm

I'm getting a lot of Pm's with people asking me questions, I would like to refer them to this, and the the location thread, that i will create in the next couple of days.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 7:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well paid "unskilled" jobs in Melbourne, (and hopefully other cities)

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
After being on this forum, for a week or more, I've noticed that new migrants are, heading in some cases, towards poorly paid jobs. This probably happens to a lot of new migrants and is probably par for the course when migrating to a new country. Hopefully the following information, will take some of the "Minefeild" of job finding away. The one thing they all have in common is late night or all night and weekend shifts and are rewarded with weekend/public holiday/night high penalty rates.

Because of night shift, as long as one works more than 10 sundays in a year, you will also get 5 weeks holiday per year.

Top "unskilled" Job in Melbourne, and probably Australia, from a wage point of view, will be unpalatable to most. However in Melbourne, they just advertised over 400 of these jobs. out at the new prison near hoppers crossing, Thats the Prison service, or corrections, Workers there on rotating 7 day shifts routinely earn more than 55,000++ Aud per year.

Dont worry the next 3 are all more palatable,

Tram Drivers, which gets advertised on a regular basis, the big drawback there are split shifts, All tram drivers routinely earn more than 50,000 Aud, thats including a little bit of overtime, less than 100 OT hours per year.

Anything to do with mailprocessing, including transporting, sorting, collating, coding etc, that involves night shift and weekend work. That has the bonus of being under a federal award, and is Australia wide, although one has to go through a year of casual work, before one can go permanent, and is very difficult to get onto permanent full time, However the partimers regulaly do full time hours. Full timers expect 50,000 aud plus, part timers, close to 40,000. Day time posties, one has to have a motor bike license before applying would average around 45,000 Aud full time, and 35,000 plus parttime.

Hospital porters/orderlies that work night shift, and work rotating shifts, will also expect to earn more than 50,000 Aud,

One other that I know off, although to a much lesser extent than the above, but worth mentioning as i Know it pays more than 50,000 grand is Monitoring burgular and fire alarms, for people like chubb etc.

There are other places that work rotating shifts, Factory type jobs Like Ford Australia, out in Cambellfield, South pacific tyres, again in Cambellfeild, Caroma here in Coburg, All would be rewarded with well into the 40,000's

Last one I know of, I'm sure there are more, is the Huge abatoirs at the end of the Western ringroad, close to the princes hway again not a palatable job, that goes 7 days a week i beleive, and workers there routinely earn more than 40,000.

I'm going to start another thread on where you should locate yourself, to get one of these jobs, as employers I beleive dont think just having a car is good enough, So one needs to have very good public transport links, to ensure as successful job application.

I hope the above is useful, and would like to appeal to established migrants in cities like Brisbane and Sydney to add to the above.
Well I, personally, would not travel halfway round the world to struggle on that sort of wage. :scared:

I also believe that most migrants would not either. Most expect to have a far better wage or, at least, expect to be able to finance a 'better' lifestyle on such earnings.

A triumph of hope over experience indeed.

G

Last edited by Grayling; Mar 1st 2005 at 7:41 am.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:49 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Well I, personally, would not travel halfway round the world to struggle on that sort of wage. :scared:

I also believe that most migrants would not either. Most expect to have a far better wage or, at least, expect to be able to finance a 'better' lifestyle on such earnings.

G
yeah like 90 k a year drivin 85 tonne dump trucks in WA. Only set back, 3weeks on 1week off,easy job, but........................ mm
Old Mar 1st 2005, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Good point Grayling, It is only the average wage that I'm touting here. However I did say unskilled, I'm summising that most people come over as couple and one of them is Skilled and a much higher wage earner.

Skilled workers should expect to earn at least half again, so circa 80,000 for them.

Which should equate to a joint income of around 130,000 Aud, or circa 52,000 quid.

Slightly better figures that were potrayed on other "I've gone home because the wages were so poor" threads.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Good point Grayling, It is only the average wage that I'm touting here. However I did say unskilled, I'm summising that most people come over as couple and one of them is Skilled and a much higher wage earner.

Skilled workers should expect to earn at least half again, so circa 80,000 for them.

Which should equate to a joint income of around 130,000 Aud, or circa 52,000 quid.

Slightly better figures that were potrayed on other "I've gone home because the wages were so poor" threads.
I'd love to land a job for $80K per year... I haven't moved yet, due to move over this summer but when I look at some of the wages of jobs advertised I shiver !

I am in I.T. (Network and Systems Engineer) and I rarely see jobs advertised for $80K (in Brisbane)... the average I would say is between $50k - $60K

Maybe in Sydney I'd be lucky to get $80K but with the house prices there, I can't see us being better off than in Brisbane.

Just my thoughts.

Phil
Old Mar 1st 2005, 11:46 am

pom04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
I'd love to land a job for $80K per year... I haven't moved yet, due to move over this summer but when I look at some of the wages of jobs advertised I shiver !

I am in I.T. (Network and Systems Engineer) and I rarely see jobs advertised for $80K (in Brisbane)... the average I would say is between $50k - $60K

Maybe in Sydney I'd be lucky to get $80K but with the house prices there, I can't see us being better off than in Brisbane.

Just my thoughts.

Phil
My thoughts as well phil - as a guide accountant jobs in brisbane usually advertised at 50/55k - solicitors jobs can be in the same bracket - Im in melbourne this weekend so will be picking up the job papers as Ive followed some of these threads with interest

I emigrated 15 months ago to brisbane - in the uk I was a middle manager with one of the big four banks - when I arrived most ozzie banks wouldnt touch me in the first few weeks - one offered me a post as a receptionist on $31k - I was lucky that one bank finally gave me a break and hired me on the spot as a branch manager- my earnings here are a basic of 57k - with bonus I can expect about 65k - plus super - this includes the fact that I have managed to increase my wage by 10k since joing the company in just over a year - all I would say is that my husband and I are still sort of the 130k mark! My hubbie is a qualified tradesman. None the less I am better off finacially here than I ever was in the uk when I never seemed to have enough each month when I got paid - yes u need money to live - but the way of life here outways taking a step back initially in the earnings department!
Old Mar 1st 2005, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite true nor realistic. $80k is almost double the average Aussie wage. 80k would be a very good wage in Melbourne, but certainly not 'expected'. After all, it depends what your skills are - salaries amongst skilled workers in different professions vary greatly. Salaries in smaller Oz cities or rural areas are often (generally?) less than the comparable salary in Melbourne.

Migrants are competeing against locals for work, and often the case is that employers prefer locals, or look for local skills. Skilled migrants often have to start a few steps down the ladder from what they are qualified/experienced to do. I speak from personal experience, and I know many others (not just on this forum but migrant friends/colleagues) have been in the same boat. Of course, one hopes to step up a bit once they've actually got their foot on the proverbial Aussie ladder, but this can take a while to happen.

As for your figures being more realistic than the 'I've gone home because wages are poor' thread, I strongly disagree. $130k household income is achievable but not the norm.

As for returning to UK, not everyone has an endless supply of money, so some people choose to cut their losses and return to the UK before they spend every last cent they own. I personally know people this has happened to (in Melbourne), and I don't think it's very generous of you to mock people who have been in that situation. Every migrant's situation is different, and every migrants' reasons for returning to UK are different. You may have read that poor wages were a factor in people's decisions to return but try and think beyond that - they would have had to weigh up many more factors than wages alone.

Incidentally, what is your source for quoting $80k is the 'norm' for skilled workers?
Old Mar 1st 2005, 4:01 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Not quite true nor realistic. $80k is almost double the average Aussie wage. 80k would be a very good wage in Melbourne, but certainly not 'expected'. After all, it depends what your skills are - salaries amongst skilled workers in different professions vary greatly. Salaries in smaller Oz cities or rural areas are often (generally?) less than the comparable salary in Melbourne.

Migrants are competeing against locals for work, and often the case is that employers prefer locals, or look for local skills. Skilled migrants often have to start a few steps down the ladder from what they are qualified/experienced to do. I speak from personal experience, and I know many others (not just on this forum but migrant friends/colleagues) have been in the same boat. Of course, one hopes to step up a bit once they've actually got their foot on the proverbial Aussie ladder, but this can take a while to happen.

As for your figures being more realistic than the 'I've gone home because wages are poor' thread, I strongly disagree. $130k household income is achievable but not the norm.

As for returning to UK, not everyone has an endless supply of money, so some people choose to cut their losses and return to the UK before they spend every last cent they own. I personally know people this has happened to (in Melbourne), and I don't think it's very generous of you to mock people who have been in that situation. Every migrant's situation is different, and every migrants' reasons for returning to UK are different. You may have read that poor wages were a factor in people's decisions to return but try and think beyond that - they would have had to weigh up many more factors than wages alone.

Incidentally, what is your source for quoting $80k is the 'norm' for skilled workers?
Australian News by OUtbound publishing reported an issue or two back that the average skilled wage in Australia was now in the $42,000 bracket - not $80,000!

The average wage in this country (from memory) is around the £23,000 mark. Obviously avg wages fluctuate depending on the sector you work in and so these figures are always open for abuse.

Rob
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Australian News by OUtbound publishing reported an issue or two back that the average skilled wage in Australia was now in the $42,000 bracket - not $80,000!

The average wage in this country (from memory) is around the £23,000 mark. Obviously avg wages fluctuate depending on the sector you work in and so these figures are always open for abuse.

Rob

Just gotten home from night shift, to see the two above posts, I normally go to bed within an hour of getting home. So have had a quick Google to back up my figures.

If one googles the Australian National wage, the first Government figures that one comes across are two year old figures. I'm pretty certain that it would be unprecidented in the civilised western world that the figures would drop 20 pct in two years.

Salaries and Wages in Australia

Australian Average Weekly Earnings

(Adult Males - Ordinary Time)

May 2003

Industry
Weekly Earnings

AUD$

Mining

Manufacturing

Electricity, Gas and Water Supply

Construction

Wholesale Trade

Retail Trade

Accommodation, Cafes and Restaurants

Transport and Storage

Communication Services

Finance and Insurance

Property and Business Services

Government Administration and Defence

Education

Health and Community Services

Cultural and Recreational Services

Personal and Other Services

NB : The above figures are an average across all Australia. There will be regional variations from State to State and City to City

Average weekly earnings for South Australia: (Full Time Adult Males) $872.10 per week

The current Federal minimum (legal) wage is $448.40 per week ($11.80 x 38hrs).

If you are unsure of the rate at which you should be paid for the work you are currently doing, telephone: 1300 365 205

The above figures were obtained from data collected by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (Average Weekly Earnings Catalogue No: 6302.0). All figures are in Australian Dollars (AUD).

Further information can be obtained at the Australian Bureau of Statistics website

www.abs.gov.au

Incidently I was asked where I got the figure of 80,000 aud for skilled workers, this is from people that i know in person, and possibly just local to the Melbourne market. However I will endeavour this afternoon local time, I will find "Government" stats from victoria, that I'm sure will back me up.

I do know one certain fact, one of our local plumbers, the biggest, charges 280 bucks just for a call out on a weekend.

Is it possible that you guys are working on the basis of the minimum allowable wage ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 1st 2005 at 8:38 pm. Reason: The Usual ;) grammar and spelling
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just found some upto datefigures for Auto Electricans, Bearing in mind these are figures for Auto Electricians that own their own business.

Total Income $345,475 $138,924 $435,209
Gross Profit (after material and subbies) 58.09% 47.12% 69.64%
Wages and Salaries (staff only, not owners) 12.11% 0.00% 22.48%
Rent of Premises # 4.39% 1.64% 8.45%
Other Depreciation, Lease and Hire Purchase 2.25% 0.57% 4.89%
Vehicle Operating Costs 3.80% 1.49% 7.26%
Net Profit (bos)* 25.43% 11.71% 48.75%
Stock Turnover Rate 5.61 2.09 8.31
Days' Debtors 31 14 50
Total Income (revenue) per Person $97,123 $77,180 $117,461
# calculation excludes those firms win freehold premises
*(bos) before owners' salaries and benefits

The figures 97,123, are the average, the 77,180 are the low, and the 117,461 are the high.

I would guesstimate, that Auto Electricians are right in the middle of the average Earning capacity of "skilled Workers"

I would appreciate some input from local skilled workers here.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw

First point is, the person who I reacted with anger to, when I felt affronted by the fact that had returned to england on the basis of low wages, has been apologised to twice. I do regret that I acted with anger, and as far as I know is as you put it, the only person that I came close to what you describe as mocking.

I've spent at least two hours googling away, with wild variations on the results. However I stand by the figures that I've quoted.

With possibly the closest news resport/Url available backing up what I've said as follows.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/careers_...-shortages.htm

I beleive currently that average aussie wage, is circa 50,000 per annum which is born out by the official stats that I quoted that are now two years old.

The following 2nd paragraph of yours is one I'm in total agreement with, and is probably where new migrants are giving up.

I'm still trying to find evidence, to back up my quote of 80,000 Aud as an average income for a skilled worker in Melbourne. I'm sure I will eventually.

By skilled I mean the traditional skills as in a Trade, like Bricklayer, plumber, electrician, carpenter etc, and am talking about fully qualified, self employed, fully ticketed tradesmen. The ones that walk up to Australia house in England and are basically given a nod, just on the basis of their trade.

I'm not talking about what you may deem as skilled, In the white collar area, Englands wages in the white collar skills are far higher, as I found to my chagrin over 20 years ago. That hasn't changed, and is unlikely to change until Australia, becomes much closer affiliated with Asia, with business and commerce ties etc.

The following Paragraph of yours, is the one that is open to the most debate,

I maintain, that the average wage in Melbourne, for two fulltime workers, in any sphere, will come in at around 80,000 through to 150,000

The Source for The Auto electrician business owners wages is as follows.

http://www.ebc.com.au/product/product.asp?loc=19.3.198

We could go around in circles debating this for hours, I dont mind that at all, I guess one is going to present ones argument depending on what side of the fence one sits.

I will add, that I'm posting the above information, because I beleive my local knowledge of being here 20 years plus, will be useful to migrants, wishing to take the long term approach and go through the highs and lows that go hand in hand with migration.

Phew that was an effort
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:50 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Right, so what I understand, you're mainly quoting what business owners in those area's earn.

A lot of migrants aren't business owners, or it takes a while before they can, because they have to get contacts, network etc etc.

I've bumped up an old thread for you....
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Grayling]Well I, personally, would not travel halfway round the world to struggle on that sort of wage. :scared:

Maybe you forget, some of us didn't earn this much money in the UK either!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phil-UK

Phil
Sounds about right, unless you have a specific, in high demand qualification.

We've been getting those kind of figures quoted to us as well, though we do have certain high demand skills, so Mrs JTLs getting a bit more than that,

Cheers,
JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.