Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well dodgy, or what!!!

Wikiposts

Well dodgy, or what!!!

Old May 25th 2004, 7:14 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light
Default Well dodgy, or what!!!

In preparation for our move I advertised our camper on free ads. I got an e-mail from some bloke who said he would like it at the asking price. Wheyhey I thought... then he asked me to accept a cheque for £4,695 (van is going for 2k) when it had cleared could I take our money and send rest to his shipping agent. They would collect camper from our house and then ship it to him. Sounded ok until he asked me to receive other items for him so that they could be shipped at the same time. When I started asking questions he tried to assure me that it was all legal but wouldn't give me any of his info about where van was going or what the personal items were etc. Needless to say we have said no deal. How dodgy is that?

Sarah
Old May 25th 2004, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Well dodgy, or what!!!

Originally posted by teach
In preparation for our move I advertised our camper on free ads. I got an e-mail from some bloke who said he would like it at the asking price. Wheyhey I thought... then he asked me to accept a cheque for £4,695 (van is going for 2k) when it had cleared could I take our money and send rest to his shipping agent. They would collect camper from our house and then ship it to him. Sounded ok until he asked me to receive other items for him so that they could be shipped at the same time. When I started asking questions he tried to assure me that it was all legal but wouldn't give me any of his info about where van was going or what the personal items were etc. Needless to say we have said no deal. How dodgy is that?

Sarah
Blimey teach - sounds well dodgy mate Hope that you had already got your pc There are some strange peeps about arent there:scared:
Old May 25th 2004, 7:26 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell!! V V V dodgy. Well steered clear I say.
Old May 25th 2004, 8:52 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

As you say, well dodgy indeed.

I've heard of this before, and you're right to keep well away from it!
Old May 25th 2004, 9:18 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Strange that he hasn't replied to my e-mail saying no deal. Up until then I was getting 3 or 4 a day asking for my answer.

Sarah
Old May 25th 2004, 10:34 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Sarah
I'm afraid it's a well known scam teach You did the right thing to steer clear

Time and time again we hear the same thing............

"if it sounds too good to be true....then it is!"

Good luck with the sale

Old May 25th 2004, 11:12 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey what would he have been shipping ... drugs, weapons ... very dodgy
Old May 25th 2004, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point

Sarah

You should have got the cheque , then kept the money, i t would come in handy down under, LOL, only joking.

What a scam.

Mark.
Old May 26th 2004, 4:01 am
Loving it in Bundy

Originally posted by Gold Coasters
You should have got the cheque , then kept the money, i t would come in handy down under, LOL, only joking.

What a scam.

Mark.

I'm usually a very honest person, but I must say the thought did cross my mind, lol.
Old May 26th 2004, 6:29 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Sarah
Hmmm, sounds like a variant on money laundering to me.

Well done for steering clear of it (sorry for the awful pun, given it's a van )& being honest.

Anya.
Old May 26th 2004, 6:46 am
Gremlin

This is another popular scam that is doing the rounds at the moment. Lady near here was astonished to receive loads of offers for her van at 2 or 3 times the price she was asking. Thankfully she didn't fall for it.

Old May 27th 2004, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Gremlin
This is another popular scam that is doing the rounds at the moment. Lady near here was astonished to receive loads of offers for her van at 2 or 3 times the price she was asking. Thankfully she didn't fall for it.
Heard about the same scam on another list. All went pear shaped and some fairly serious violence was threatened. Steer well clear...
Old May 27th 2004, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Brian & Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

Definately one to avoid - sounds very dodgy and possibly dangerous to me. Good decision.

Lou
Old May 27th 2004, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

KayCee is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd not heard of this before, but will be aware now!! Sounds like a lucky escape to me!!