Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Welfare and taxation

Welfare and taxation

Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Welfare and taxation

Has anyone else noticed that in general, the level and scope of welfare services is lower in Australia and yet taxation is higher?
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice
Default Re: Welfare and taxation

Originally Posted by Ian12
Has anyone else noticed that in general, the level and scope of welfare services is lower in Australia and yet taxation is higher?
Hi

This is a bit subjective and very much depends on what you are looking for.

Eg, most income tax rates are higher, however our medicare levy is less than the national insurance you pay here. Our GST is also 10%, compared to 17.5% VAT in the UK.

Taxes state to state are totally random. Queensland stamp duty on house transfers is very low, Victoria's is very high. The UK is a bit more uniform about these things.

I am not trying to say you are wrong as personal experience can vary greatly when dealing with welfare services. What, however, is available via the welfare system is not just what taxes are for.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ian12
GST/VAT and petrol at half the price? No death duties?

Please explain.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Banksia
GST/VAT and petrol at half the price? No death duties?

Please explain.
Maybe it is me, but I cannot get my head around death duties!!

You pay tax all your life, tax on the income that pays the mortgage, tax on the income that pays all your expenses to live, you die and they TAX YOU!!!! It is not like you can avoid it.

Don't get death duties at all!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

I believe in Oz you can reduce your tax bill to some extent by claiming various allowances and rebates to offset income. You may need a good accountant to do this though, and YMMV.

The debate on reducing higher rates of tax is now starting to gather momentum in Oz, see the newspapers.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on welfare (although to watch the TV one wonders if I'm not the only one not on it <g>) but having just got the first tax assessment it's certainly mind bending!

On the other hand, "sales" tax is lower than the UK, petrol is cheaper, food costs are generally lower and the important things in life like golf are much lower!

Overall I would say that Australia is more expensive to live in than the UK - but probably not THAT much more. And of course it all depends on your income and what you spend your money on.

Just don't come out expecting to be able to live on nothing 'cos you won't like the standard of living you get!