Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weirdly good things from Telstra

Weirdly good things from Telstra

Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:06 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weirdly good things from Telstra

i'm scared. Telstra seem to be getting their act together. I was a bit miffed that they released new mobile cap plans which doubled the call credit and threw in data, but not to existing customers. So $49 now gets $400 of credit and 200M of data, instead of just $200 credit.

So I email them, never expecting a reply, but what the heck. Got a call back 3 days later apologising for the delay and offering to terminate my contract and recontract under the new plans. Done deal, thanks very much.

Then I look at the new bundle plans they have. $159 a month gets :

200 Gig of broadband Fast ADSL or ADSL2
A TBox thing for watching movies rented or pause free to air etc
Unlimited home phone plan including calls to ALL AU mobiles free, Standard and National calls free. Throws in the international value calling pack so calls to the UK are $0.02 per min and gives $10 credit.
They chuck in a wireless modem router also, although I would stay with my Apple one.

Thats a stupidly good deal. All I have to do now is get over the fact that it's Telstra. I can't believe I'm actually thinking about switching to them.

They get a fair bagging for good reason for time to time but I guess moves in the right direction also deserve some note as well.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 9:45 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weirdly good things from Telstra

Originally Posted by Centurion
i'm scared. Telstra seem to be getting their act together. I was a bit miffed that they released new mobile cap plans which doubled the call credit and threw in data, but not to existing customers. So $49 now gets $400 of credit and 200M of data, instead of just $200 credit.

So I email them, never expecting a reply, but what the heck. Got a call back 3 days later apologising for the delay and offering to terminate my contract and recontract under the new plans. Done deal, thanks very much.

Unlimited home phone plan including calls to ALL AU mobiles free, Standard and National calls free. Throws in the international value calling pack so calls to the UK are $0.02 per min and gives $10 credit.
They chuck in a wireless modem router also, although I would stay with my Apple one.

Thats a stupidly good deal. All I have to do now is get over the fact that it's Telstra. I can't believe I'm actually thinking about switching to them.

They get a fair bagging for good reason for time to time but I guess moves in the right direction also deserve some note as well.
I signed up for this. We regularly use 100gig with all the youtubeing that goes on in the house. Plus the t-box thing is a.n.other gadget I dont yet own.

Switched from IInet and their Bob (aka - pants). Im sure the Telstra equipment will be buggy as hell since its 1st generation but it looks great. Ours goes live tomorrow.

I should add that Iinet support is outstanding - and telstras/bigdpond is as bad as you'd expect - 7 phone calls just to purchase this bundle , being handed off internally through different call centers , dropped, etc... nightmare. Have to take a relaxation draught before making any calls to 13-pond or whoever they are.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:27 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
I signed up for this. We regularly use 100gig with all the youtubeing that goes on in the house. Plus the t-box thing is a.n.other gadget I dont yet own.

Switched from IInet and their Bob (aka - pants). Im sure the Telstra equipment will be buggy as hell since its 1st generation but it looks great. Ours goes live tomorrow.

I should add that Iinet support is outstanding - and telstras/bigdpond is as bad as you'd expect - 7 phone calls just to purchase this bundle , being handed off internally through different call centers , dropped, etc... nightmare. Have to take a relaxation draught before making any calls to 13-pond or whoever they are.
Got through to Telstra on 1 call, spoke to a lovely lady from Melbourne. Why is it that every woman with that accent I now imagine to look like Gillard <shudder>.

Anyway - signed up and they say the modem and TV Box delivered in 5 days. Am looking forward to that since I'm an apple TV fan and this is very similar in being able to rent movies and so on but not use my allowance.

Plus got to move over my Foxtel, my mobile phone and my wifes onto the account which discounts $30 per month off those bills in total and makes all calls between my home and mobile to mobile completely free as well.

So basically its actually saved me money on internode, given me 150gig more allowance and means that I can phone anyone, anywhere for free and the UK for $0.02.

I think have dropped into an alternative reality or something. Telstra, good value....I thought the two were completely alien concepts.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:40 am
Just Joined

mmarkmet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone
Just reading with interest about the package deal for $159 dollars. Sounds great for what you get. I am with Telstra already, but my package consists of 25g of internet data which isn't lasting the month with two teenagers in the house, and I dont get unlimited calls on the home phone. Our mobiles are with optus who are stinging us every month with hidden extra costs, but I am contracted to optus for another 21 months so dont see how I could sign up with this great deal Telstra has. Wouldnt I be liable for breaking contract with optus. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Chris
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:08 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmarkmet
Hi everyone
Just reading with interest about the package deal for $159 dollars. Sounds great for what you get. I am with Telstra already, but my package consists of 25g of internet data which isn't lasting the month with two teenagers in the house, and I dont get unlimited calls on the home phone. Our mobiles are with optus who are stinging us every month with hidden extra costs, but I am contracted to optus for another 21 months so dont see how I could sign up with this great deal Telstra has. Wouldnt I be liable for breaking contract with optus. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Chris
http://go.bigpond.com/bundles/

Your optus mobile phones wont make a difference to the bundle .
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

The mobile deal sounds OK, especially with their 4G network but I plan on spending virtually nothing on landline calls with iiNet using their free voip calls for all Australian landlandlines and 5c per call (unlimited time) to the UK using pennytel. I could use 200G though (their max is 170G for $120).
Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Sorry. Must have misread that. I thought someone said they had added their mobiles to their account with Telstra
Chris
Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:27 am
ah-beng

Sorry. Must have misread that. I thought someone said they had added their mobiles to their account with Telstra
Chris
yes - you get 10$ extra reduction for every Telstra service you add to the bundle. So by adding a mobile phone, you get 10$ off. or Foxtel , another 10$
Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:35 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't touch Telstra again with somebody else's barge pole, regardless of what package they offer.
They cut my landline and internet off for 11 days and each time a rang to find out what the Hell was going on the 'helpdesk' was a joke. The only enlightening thing about the whole process was, when I told them I worked from home and this was a real pain, as it meant I was having to drive into the office everyday, they told me I could be back online that day if I switched to a small business package!!

Basically they didn't give a stuff about individual customers and I would just have to wait while they 'fixed the exchange'

Telstra have burnt their bridges as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:37 am
ah-beng

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I wouldn't touch Telstra again with somebody else's barge pole, regardless of what package they offer.
They cut my landline and internet off for 11 days and each time a rang to find out what the Hell was going on the 'helpdesk' was a joke. The only enlightening thing about the whole process was, when I told them I worked from home and this was a real pain, as it meant I was having to drive into the office everyday, they told me I could be back online that day if I switched to a small business package!!

Basically they didn't give a stuff about individual customers and I would just have to wait while they 'fixed the exchange'

Telstra have burnt their bridges as far as I'm concerned.
i feel a little the same tbh, but im on a telstra RIM and they are the only ones who can give me decent speed .. roll on the NBN
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:36 am
Just Joined

What I am trying to establish is whether I can move my existing mobile provider to a new provider i.e Telstra. What would the penalty be.
Chris
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:45 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

What I am trying to establish is whether I can move my existing mobile provider to a new provider i.e Telstra. What would the penalty be.
Chris
The NBN should finally get them customer focused.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:53 am
ah-beng

Originally Posted by mindblower
The NBN should finally get them customer focused.
these bundles are 2 year contracts - its a land grab for market share and then praying that the inherent laziness of people to move away will leave them as Telstra customers on the NBN
Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
these bundles are 2 year contracts - its a land grab for market share and then praying that the inherent laziness of people to move away will leave them as Telstra customers on the NBN
And the exit fees are pretty large too, $360 pro rata on the contract so if you cancel after 6 months you pay 360 * 18/24 = $270
Old Jun 29th 2010, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by freebo
And the exit fees are pretty large too, $360 pro rata on the contract so if you cancel after 6 months you pay 360 * 18/24 = $270
Actually for the size of the contract, say $159 per month, paying under 2 months fee to welsh out of a 2 year deal isn't so sad when you consider what some mobile companies would try to charge you. ie - the full whack for the entire contract.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.