British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Weird question I know...but (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/weird-question-i-know-but-107327/)

sophia Apr 1st 2002 4:06 pm

Weird question I know...but

Does anyone know if the UK automatic washing machines work in Australia?

The reason I'm asking is last October when we were over in Perth, everyone seemed to have these HUGE top loaders (that resembled the old twin tubs!) that didn't seem to be that great at getting our clothes clean.

And can you get upright vacuum cleaners?

I know they are mad questions, but I did warn you at the top they were!!!

Claire Apr 1st 2002 4:11 pm

Re: Weird question I know...but

Hi Sophia

I don't know if the UK ones work but a friend has just bought a front loader as she didn't like the HUGE top loaders. When we had a removal quote they never advised us against it.

I heard that Dysons were about $800. I presume these were uprights.

Claire

sophia Apr 1st 2002 4:23 pm

Hi Claire, I think I'll invest in a washing machine here before we leave 'cos I'll bet the cost is big in Oz and if we have to fill a crate anyway....

Was wondering about the upright vacuum 'cos I absolutely love mine, but wanted to know if you can get the bags (yep, mine is sooooo unfashionable that it still has bags!!)

lmaynard Apr 1st 2002 7:29 pm

UK front loader work OK in NZ so should work in Oz. They're not popular but you can get them new.

The problem is getting the powder (so my wife tells me!!) as front loaders need low suds.

Sandra Apr 1st 2002 9:43 pm

Weird Question - and a weird answer - I believe you - I spent 6 months in the USA washing clothes in a top loader it took me a month at home to feel I had my clothes clean - you are making me feel I have to take my washing machine and my very old dyson. But then again I heard the poms are known for not washing so maybe we just join in the fun!!! But not whinge when it isn't the same!

heading downunder 2002 Apr 2nd 2002 7:25 am

Hi All,

Just our of interest a friend of mine sent me an electrical catalogue to have a look at last christmas. There are front loaders in there but I have to say there are certainly more top loaders. Anyway the prices for the three in the catalogue are as follows:

Whirlpool 5KG front Loader $798 & $949
Simpson 5.5KG Front Loader $795

Hang on there girls why are we talking about washing machines don't the guys do all the washing downunder!!!!!!!!! lol

Susan

Jacqui Apr 2nd 2002 12:00 pm

Perhaps I'm the odd one out here, but I've used top-loaders in both Oz and the US and I preferred them. Maybe it's because my husband wouldn't buy me a front-loader when we first got married and I had to make do with a twin-tub for so long!

I think we paid about £250 for our Dyson, so we ought to take it with us, but the removals people said it had to be thoroughly cleaned, no trace of dirt whatsoever. Knowing my luck, I'd clean it all up, ship it over, and it would break down in the first few weeks!