Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Weird but original question ;)

Weird but original question ;)

Old May 14th 2005, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Weird but original question ;)

Hi guys
Just a quick strange question for you all, based on that strange thing we all got told as kids
If I dug a hole through the earth and straight through the core (yeah, I know its technically impossible but this is a purely theoretical question) and out the other side, where would I end up? Lets say I'm digging from London.... going in a straight line... no, I haven't got a globe
Ta
Larissa
(I was really dying to know after 2 glasses of merlot last night )
Old May 14th 2005, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird but original question ;)

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi guys
Just a quick strange question for you all, based on that strange thing we all got told as kids
If I dug a hole through the earth and straight through the core (yeah, I know its technically impossible but this is a purely theoretical question) and out the other side, where would I end up? Lets say I'm digging from London.... going in a straight line... no, I haven't got a globe
Ta
Larissa
(I was really dying to know after 2 glasses of merlot last night )
Just had a quick squiz of my giant globe and reckon you'd be about 1000k SSE of Christchurch, New Zealand - not that far off the coast of Antarctica, really!
Old May 14th 2005, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Just had a quick squiz of my giant globe and reckon you'd be about 1000k SSE of Christchurch, New Zealand - not that far off the coast of Antarctica, really!
Not China then?

They lied THEY LIED!!!!! :scared:

JTL
Old May 14th 2005, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nicky, I can now sleep easy at night... but someone's been telling porkies as I was led to believe it would be in Aus (thought it might be somewhere like Melbourne!).
Ahh well, that puts my new tunnel scheme for expats down the pan!
Old May 14th 2005, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nicky, I can now sleep easy at night... but someone's been telling porkies as I was led to believe it would be in Aus (thought it might be somewhere like Melbourne!).
Ahh well, that puts my new tunnel scheme for expats down the pan!
Try it in reverse. Ask an Aussie what they were told as a kid. Did their parents say if you dig a deep hole you'll end up in the UK?

JTL
Old May 14th 2005, 3:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you dug from Australia you'd end up in Turkey...........
Old May 14th 2005, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you dug from Australia you'd end up in Turkey...........
I'll start digging now then
Old May 14th 2005, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Try it in reverse. Ask an Aussie what they were told as a kid. Did their parents say if you dig a deep hole you'll end up in the UK?

JTL
I will ask my babysitter, she already thinks I'm a mad Pom!
Old May 14th 2005, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

As Aus is so big maybe thats true?
Note to self... get a globe next time you're in the 2 buck shop
Old May 14th 2005, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by debsy
I'll start digging now then
Make sure you take a compass and a plumb line with you, or you might pop up in Iraq :scared:

JTL
Old May 14th 2005, 4:16 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Not China then?

They lied THEY LIED!!!!! :scared:

JTL
Not sure if this is right but I seem to recall that you'd end up in China if you dug through from the US.... as in the movie title "The China Syndrome".

I haven't got a glode either so could be wrong.

Elaine M
Old May 14th 2005, 4:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nickyc
I just looked at mine too, and I agree with your approximation, somewhere near Bounty Island ?

PS: A "Globe" in Australian means a "Light Bulb"

Old May 14th 2005, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I just looked at mine too, and I agree with your approximation, somewhere near Bounty Island ?

PS: A "Globe" in Australian means a "Light Bulb"
What's an English "Globe" in Australian then?
NB Not knowing this could seriously jepodise my success as an Expat
Old May 14th 2005, 4:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

What's an English "Globe" in Australian then?
NB Not knowing this could seriously jepodise my success as an Expat
A globe is also called a globe..............god, I love this country, its so confusing - chips and chips and now globes and globes!!!
Old May 14th 2005, 5:09 am
ABCDiamond

A globe is also called a globe..............god, I love this country, its so confusing - chips and chips and now globes and globes!!!

In the Australian School Dictionary, a ball is also referred to as a globe

Which brings me on to my favourite discussion subject with my daughter, "Football": she says it's "soccer", as RFL is "Football".

To which I reply - is the object they use a "round ball" - NO
Do they mainly use their feet to control it- NO

She keeps telling me I must adapt to Australian ways (she's 8 !! )

But I laugh longest when she wants a lolly I get one from the freezer for her (Australian Lolly = English for sweets)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.