Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

weevils in Australia

weevils in Australia

Old Sep 18th 2003, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default weevils in Australia

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a problem with weevils in Australia? The reason why I was asking is at the moment I live in a hot and humid place and if you don't keep stuff like flour, rice, pulses etc refridgerated you will find them infested.

I was in the UK for a month this summer and upon my return I found even sealed packets full of little weevils! YUUKKKKKK!

Sorry Badgers - I was really wondering about this one:scared:
Debs
Old Sep 18th 2003, 5:31 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: weevils in Australia

Originally posted by debsy
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a problem with weevils in Australia? The reason why I was asking is at the moment I live in a hot and humid place and if you don't keep stuff like flour, rice, pulses etc refridgerated you will find them infested.

I was in the UK for a month this summer and upon my return I found even sealed packets full of little weevils! YUUKKKKKK!

Debs
Sorry to sound Thick but what are weevils???
Old Sep 18th 2003, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

well our ones look like little tiny flies they are horrible and when you find them they make you itch all over !!! Not that they touch you of course as they are stuck in the packet - it is all in the mind!!
debs
Old Sep 18th 2003, 5:34 pm
WBB

i havent got a clue what a weevil is either but a quick google turned this up

click

is that them???

Old Sep 18th 2003, 5:38 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i havent got a clue what a weevil is either but a quick google turned this up

click

is that them???

Uhggggg
Old Sep 18th 2003, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

well I dont know - perhaps ours are not weevils thet are horrid little tiny fly like things black with wings. I live on the Med. Coast and it is very hot and we get them in the hot summer months when the temps can go to 45C. If they are not weevils I wonder what they are then?

Debs
Old Sep 18th 2003, 6:10 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

I think this thread serves as a stern reminder
Not to eat at Debsys house

eeeeew you got the cooties

Sorry feeling a bit mischievous today
Old Sep 18th 2003, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

YUUUUKKKK! I threw it all away!!! Dont worry.

Anyway, I dont cook very often as I live in a 5* hotel that my hubby runs
Old Sep 18th 2003, 6:22 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

YUUUUKKKK! I threw it all away!!! Dont worry.

Anyway, I dont cook very often as I live in a 5* hotel that my hubby runs
Is that the "Cootie Motel" where all the weevels and bed bugs are for free
Old Sep 18th 2003, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

No H itsssssssssssssssssssss............The Bates Motel:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:45 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we get weevils here, but it does depend on where you are. My old house never had them & I lived there for 12 years, but our new one is infested & you cant leave anything at all open in the cupboard or it gets them all through it
Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:04 am
Carol in Oz

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Yes, we get weevils here, but it does depend on where you are. My old house never had them & I lived there for 12 years, but our new one is infested & you cant leave anything at all open in the cupboard or it gets them all through it
Lots of ants too.
Keep everything under wraps or in the fridge myself too.
With the warmer weather saw first cockroach of the season too - yuck!!! No matter how clean your house is these damn things can FLY in!! Time to get the house sprayed methinks.

Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Weevils are just part of life here. They are small fly like looking things that hatch out in your flour pasta cereals etc. They freaked me out too at first. However Aussies dont worry about them. I have seen people cook pasta with them in it and then just pick them out! Would not go that far myself.

I find they often appear in packets of pasta fresh from the supermarket, so they can be coming from shops not your home. Just Take it back for a refund, however they think you are strange as weevils are considered just part of a hot climate.

My biggest tip here is put your rubbish out every day. Flies have a breeding cycle of as little as 6 hours in summer, nothing worse than the maggots having hatched out in your bin. I am paranoid about this one, seen friends kitchens covered in the 'crawling rice' creatures.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:30 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: weevils in Australia

Debs
At 'THE" Tupperware Party I went to recently, they said that ONLY Tupperware keeps these pesky things out of all your grain and cereal type foods.

So thats why they still have Tupperware here!!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I've GOT TO get an invite to a Tupperware party or my life isn't complete!

Not had weevils meself yet but my niece got over run by the little blighters. Guess what she'll be getting for Crimbo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.