British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Weevils (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/weevils-279779/)

bondipom Jan 25th 2005 2:55 am

Weevils

Noticed a few magotty things on the kitchen ceiling. Though we might have weevils in the food so pulled out everything in the cupboard below. They were in an unopened pack of rice and unopened pack of oats. Obviously the packaging wasn't good enough. Decided to chuck a pack of flour and other items they could infest just in case. I picked all the maggots off the ceiling, cleaned out the cupboard and washed every item in there.

I'm still not going to a tupperware party.;)

JohnoBronco Jan 25th 2005 3:01 am

Re: Weevils

Originally Posted by bondipom
Noticed a few magotty things on the kitchen ceiling. Though we might have weevils in the food so pulled out everything in the cupboard below. They were in an unopened pack of rice and unopened pack of oats. Obviously the packaging wasn't good enough. Decided to chuck a pack of flour and other items they could infest just in case. I picked all the maggots off the ceiling, cleaned out the cupboard and washed every item in there.

lol - not coming round yours for dinner mate :p :beer:

bondipom Jan 25th 2005 3:09 am

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco
lol - not coming round yours for dinner mate :p :beer:

Maggot porridge would have that extra protein. The fridge was untouched so the beer was fine.

JohnoBronco Jan 25th 2005 3:13 am

Maggot porridge would have that extra protein. The fridge was untouched so the beer was fine.

Lol - glad u got the priorites right - beer 1st then food :beer:

yeh but dont like crunchy things in my breakfast :D

bondipom Jan 25th 2005 3:18 am

Lol - glad u got the priorites right - beer 1st then food :beer:

yeh but dont like crunchy things in my breakfast :D

I think the maggots would squelch between the teeth rather than crunch.

JohnoBronco Jan 25th 2005 3:20 am

I think the maggots would squelch between the teeth rather than crunch.

maybe we'll stick to a bbq and beer - whatya reckon?

NickyC Jan 25th 2005 3:26 am

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Couldn't work out where the damn things were coming from. They were like sheep following each other up the wall to the ceiling. Finally realised they were getting out through a small gap in the top of the cupboard. Sure enough, found an unopened packet of sauce mix was wriggling with them.

Little, tiny moths flying around everytime you open the cupboard doors is another sign that you've got weevils somewhere in there!

bondipom Jan 25th 2005 3:27 am

maybe we'll stick to a bbq and beer - whatya reckon?

A bit of terriyaki with one of these on the Barbie.
http://www.milamba.com/australia/inh...sects/in24.jpg

JohnoBronco Jan 25th 2005 3:31 am

cool - I'll be sure to pop round yours for a meal next time i'm in Sydney ;)

Simone Jan 25th 2005 3:42 am

Ewwww!
Maggoty things freak me out much more than spiders and stuff!!! :scared:
Got most of our stuff in sealed containers, but will check the rest tonight

Geez, and I'm about to have my lunch.... thanks :p

JohnoBronco Jan 25th 2005 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Simone
Ewwww!
Maggoty things freak me out much more than spiders and stuff!!! :scared:
Got most of our stuff in sealed containers, but will check the rest tonight

Geez, and I'm about to have my lunch.... thanks :p

lol - now make sure You chew before you swallow :p

jayr Jan 25th 2005 4:22 am

We had these. Look up 'pantry moths' for more info - every time opening the pantry door there'd be a n number of small black moths flying around. The pest control guy said they are more likely to be in packets of food that you buy from the shops then spread to other things in your pantry.

And remember, even with pest spray that weevils wobble but they don't fall down...

gedge Jan 25th 2005 4:23 am

Yeah we had the same with a pack of UT's porridge.
Previously unopened, then a cloud of little flying buggers and a pack riddled with squirming weevils. Jules had never seen them before but I knew cos we used to get them in the ME. I remember mum always seiving her flour just in case, and loads of tupperware :D
Took the pack back to the shop and got a refund, but the guy wasn't that bothered and didn't check his shelf stock.

bondipom Jan 25th 2005 4:30 am

And remember, even with pest spray that weevils wobble but they don't fall down

lol u been watching 2 much kids tv ;)

He is right though. Spraying them with mortein does nothing. I had to get some tissue and pull them off the ceiling.

J&C it was UTs Porridge Oats.

JohnoBronco Jan 25th 2005 4:30 am

And remember, even with pest spray that weevils wobble but they don't fall down...[/QUOTE]

lol u've been watching 2 much kids tv ;)

igual Jan 25th 2005 5:13 am

We had the same problem. We had seen quite a few small moths around but had largely ignored them. They didn't seem to do anything. Just sat on the ceiling all day.

I had eaten half a banana before I noticed the maggots inside it. It had tasted funny but not that odd. Tasted far worse when it came back up into the toilet!!!

All our food was teaming with maggots. Rice, flour, muesli bars, cereal etc. We must have chucked out $100 of food. We then bought a load of tupperware and put all the food went into that. We bought pantry moth traps and put them around the house, and these were full within days.

We still have the occasional moth flying around but it is soon electrocuted by the electric fly swat. (Most useful thing I have ever bought!!) http://www.swatthefly.co.uk/index.ht...kid=fly+swat&x
Keeps Fiona in line too!!! This is what her hair looks like when I use it on her :scared:

Still, all part of the fun off living in Oz. Still deciding whether to try electrocuting the huntsman that lives in our postbox :eek:

Nick

debsy Jan 25th 2005 8:22 am

lol BP I had posted a question about this last year:)

I learnt my lesson and now I only buy small packets of things.

Hope you can get rid of them:D

bondipom Jan 25th 2005 8:27 am

Originally Posted by debsy
lol BP I had posted a question about this last year:)

I learnt my lesson and now I only buy small packets of things.

Hope you can get rid of them:D

I think we got them in time. No more crawling up the ceiling. There was me thinking you liked big packages.;)

debsy Jan 25th 2005 8:28 am

I think we got them in time. No more crawling up the ceiling. There was me thinking you liked big packages.;)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=WEEVILS
lol It's quality not quantity:D

Brissiegirl Jan 25th 2005 9:31 am

stick all things that are grain/rice/dried beans/lentils etc based in sealed containers in the fridge. My mum always stored oats/flour etc in the the fridge crisper drawer. Stopped any weevil problems. Also breakfast cereals were in sealed tubs in the pantry. 'fraid it's part of living in the warmer climate.. beasties that wanna eat your food!!

Cat_Harrison Jan 25th 2005 8:40 pm

This problem doesn't only happen in hot countries... it is quite common to get bugs in your flour in the UK (don't know if they're classsed as Weevils or not).

Also, once I was enjoying my cereal (in the UK), and after getting half way through the bowl, i realised it was swimming with little black ants. :scared:

Our cereal is stored in air-tight tupperware, but the little buggers still got in.

Guess it'll teach me not to be in such a rush before work.

Merlot Jan 25th 2005 9:11 pm

Oh my stomach is turning.

We had lots of bug things, maybe weevils from my "Wheat Bag", which I bought for a bad back - chuck in the micro, then place on pain - BLISS!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, this turned nasty one hot Central Coast summer's day and took us a few days to suss out, it was not pretty.

Feel sick again.

M :eek:

Amazulu Jan 25th 2005 9:23 pm

From army survival training: these are chewy, rather than squelchy, best boiled up in water, but can be eaten raw.

DagBoy Jan 25th 2005 10:01 pm

If you do a search through the forum on tupperware and then trawl through all the crap from the "oh so superior", arrogant, up their own ar**, tossers who post about how "terribly backwards Australia is because they still have Tupperware parties and these are still popular, and have you seen what passes for fashion over here? I can't wait to go back to Marks and Spencers and buy decent knickers and I miss Next and I find it so depressing over here - it is almost like being in a different country and that is not at all what I expected..." :D

(Take a deep breath, DagBoy, calm down, relax .........OK, stop the rant and back on topic)

Anyway, in the endless Tupperware threads, just occasionally, someone will point out that the main reason that Tupperware is so popular here is that without it you end up with food that goes off or ends up infested with things like weevils.

You know, one of those tips about Australian lifestyle and culture that might actually be useful once you get here....

Anyway - day off today to celebrate the fact that Australia exists, so I am off to sort my tupperware cupboard or something :)

Cheers,

DagBoy
:D

JohnoBronco Jan 26th 2005 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
From army survival training: these are chewy, rather than squelchy, best boiled up in water, but can be eaten raw.

I still reckon all round Bonipoms for a bbq - bring your own beer ands loads of it at that :beer: - hope you dont mind mate ;)

bondipom Jan 26th 2005 12:31 am

Originally Posted by DagBoy
If you do a search through the forum on tupperware and then trawl through all the crap from the "oh so superior", arrogant, up their own ar**, tossers who post about how "terribly backwards Australia is because they still have Tupperware parties and these are still popular, and have you seen what passes for fashion over here? I can't wait to go back to Marks and Spencers and buy decent knickers and I miss Next and I find it so depressing over here - it is almost like being in a different country and that is not at all what I expected..." :D

(Take a deep breath, DagBoy, calm down, relax .........OK, stop the rant and back on topic)

Anyway, in the endless Tupperware threads, just occasionally, someone will point out that the main reason that Tupperware is so popular here is that without it you end up with food that goes off or ends up infested with things like weevils.

You know, one of those tips about Australian lifestyle and culture that might actually be useful once you get here....

Anyway - day off today to celebrate the fact that Australia exists, so I am off to sort my tupperware cupboard or something :)

Cheers,

DagBoy
:D

You can buy sealable containers at Coles, Kmart,Woolies etc without the need for a tupperware party. We just need more of the things.

TheCrone Jan 26th 2005 12:46 am

Yes, forget the Tupperware parties, the $2 shop and Red Dot have virtually the same products.
I put all dry goods into containers as soon as I get home from the shops and this does seem to keep them from infesting my cupboards, but do buy clear plastic canisters as this allows you to see if the little blighters have bred in something you haven't used for a while.
And the only way to prevent them from infesting the cereals is to gas them with highly toxic chemicals immediately after harvesting, in silos and storage bins, etc. I'd rather spend the time involved in sealing them in containers than ingesting another Monsanto product.

MrsDagboy Jan 26th 2005 10:13 am

I'd love to see what happens if you took your $2 cheapo plasticware back to Coles or the $2 shop 20 years after you bought it, without a receipt & tried to get a replacement for a lid that cracked :D .

Brissiegirl Jan 26th 2005 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Cat_Harrison
This problem doesn't only happen in hot countries... it is quite common to get bugs in your flour in the UK (don't know if they're classsed as Weevils or not).

Also, once I was enjoying my cereal (in the UK), and after getting half way through the bowl, i realised it was swimming with little black ants. :scared:

Our cereal is stored in air-tight tupperware, but the little buggers still got in.

Guess it'll teach me not to be in such a rush before work.

in the 5 years I've lived in the UK, I've only seen weevil infestation only once.. that's pretty mild really.. :) not quite like living with the huge amount of beasties in Australia that want to share your food...

TheCrone Jan 26th 2005 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I'd love to see what happens if you took your $2 cheapo plasticware back to Coles or the $2 shop 20 years after you bought it, without a receipt & tried to get a replacement for a lid that cracked :D .

I've had mine seven years without a fault appearing in any one of them. So if they all fell to pieces tomorrow, I'd still think I'd had the better of the deal!

Merlot Jan 26th 2005 4:16 pm

Still feeling queezy! :eek:

The Druid Jan 26th 2005 5:26 pm

Deep fried crispy critters............ Lovely with a bit of chillie and a cold one or two.

Weavils good for protein too.

bondipom Jan 26th 2005 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

Are you a tupperware hostess?

honeybob Jan 26th 2005 7:29 pm

Are you a tupperware hostess?

my mum was a tupperware hostess, always think of those do's now as rather 'liberating', all the women getting drunk, buying plastic boxes for their husband's bait, whilst slagging off the size of their 'weevils'... ;)

and christ, unlike the blokes, does tupperware last! :D