Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

And this weeks medical bill comes to.....

And this weeks medical bill comes to.....

Old May 24th 2006, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default And this weeks medical bill comes to.....

Bit extreme actually, but figured it was worth mentioning. After our older two Daughters went through the Orthodontic path. We trepidatiously sought an opinion on our younger two Kids. Daughter No 3, age 11 no probs really, just straight out braces. However No1 son and last born child aged 8, has a very small mouth, and more teeth growing in all sorts of directions and needs extensive work. If we hadn't of had 2 older daughters go through a similar situation I would have poo pooed the Orthodontics opinion. We Didnt want our son getting his jaw surgically broken and plates implanted to align his jaw, like his older sisters. So he has a more gentle approach, which is going to take 3 years.

Final cost after 3 years will be in excess of 13,000 Aud, Medical insurance covers something like 15 pct of that figure, and the tax system will give us 20 pct back of anything we spend over 1,500 aud per year.

But thats not all folks....

I'm booked in for a Hernia op for June the 1st, (just in time to convalesce and have ample time to watch the world cup in the comfort of my home, got to admit I did plan the timing quite well) I haven't got the bill for that one yet, but its 100 pct private and only have 70 pct cover.

Plus....

My wife has a ptegeurim (sun damage on the cornea, bet the spell check doesn't cover that word lol) Which she will be getting assessed on Friday.

I'm figuring that the surgical procedures will leave us out of pocket by at least 2,000 AUD, considering that Anesthetist are not covered by most health funds.

So this weeks health bill is 15,000 AUD give or take 10 pct.

Such is life, as the old bush ranger used to say..... He should have tried orthodontic work I reckon.
Old May 24th 2006, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Default Re: And this weeks medical bill comes to.....

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Bit extreme actually, but figured it was worth mentioning. After our older two Daughters went through the Orthodontic path. We trepidatiously sought an opinion on our younger two Kids. Daughter No 3, age 11 no probs really, just straight out braces. However No1 son and last born child aged 8, has a very small mouth, and more teeth growing in all sorts of directions and needs extensive work. If we hadn't of had 2 older daughters go through a similar situation I would have poo pooed the Orthodontics opinion. We Didnt want our son getting his jaw surgically broken and plates implanted to align his jaw, like his older sisters. So he has a more gentle approach, which is going to take 3 years.

Final cost after 3 years will be in excess of 13,000 Aud, Medical insurance covers something like 15 pct of that figure, and the tax system will give us 20 pct back of anything we spend over 1,500 aud per year.

But thats not all folks....

I'm booked in for a Hernia op for June the 1st, (just in time to convalesce and have ample time to watch the world cup in the comfort of my home, got to admit I did plan the timing quite well) I haven't got the bill for that one yet, but its 100 pct private and only have 70 pct cover.

Plus....

My wife has a ptegeurim (sun damage on the cornea, bet the spell check doesn't cover that word lol) Which she will be getting assessed on Friday.

I'm figuring that the surgical procedures will leave us out of pocket by at least 2,000 AUD, considering that Anesthetist are not covered by most health funds.

So this weeks health bill is 15,000 AUD give or take 10 pct.

Such is life, as the old bush ranger used to say..... He should have tried orthodontic work I reckon.
Wow that's worrying, better get an MOT and service before we leave the UK then
Old May 24th 2006, 12:30 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about your bills. You tell your wife to keep wearing her sunnies, ok?
Old May 24th 2006, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Sorry to hear about your bills. You tell your wife to keep wearing her sunnies, ok?

Thanks all.... My wife is an Aussie, and half her family have had a similar situation arise with their eyes.

I guess my kids may as well
Old May 24th 2006, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all.... My wife is an Aussie, and half her family have had a similar situation arise with their eyes.

I guess my kids may as well
Sorry to hear about that lot Ozzie. Jeez it's frighteningly expensive:scared:

I realise orthodontist work has to be private here, but what about hospital cover? What would happen if you had Medicare but no private cover? Would you still have had to pay towards the hospital costs the same?
Old May 24th 2006, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Sorry to hear about that lot Ozzie. Jeez it's frighteningly expensive:scared:

I realise orthodontist work has to be private here, but what about hospital cover? What would happen if you had Medicare but no private cover? Would you still have had to pay towards the hospital costs the same?

I shudder to think about that. Could be I guess. The only benefit I've gained from having private insurance, is getting treatment exactly when I want it. I'd say you would have to queue to go non private.
Old May 24th 2006, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Wondered where you had been, weve got about $11,000 to fork out this year, eye surgery ( could go on medicare if we have 7 years to wait ) so private is the go again, and braces for one kid. Hoping medibank private will cough up a fair chunk of it. Well they better have that now costs us $2600 a year.
Old May 25th 2006, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Wondered where you had been, weve got about $11,000 to fork out this year, eye surgery ( could go on medicare if we have 7 years to wait ) so private is the go again, and braces for one kid. Hoping medibank private will cough up a fair chunk of it. Well they better have that now costs us $2600 a year.

Our HCF bill is circa 1900 per annum, but there again it's only 70 pct cover, and probably only 10 pct for the orthodontic side of things.

What really peeves me about all of this is, we earn to much to get any child benefits. I now have to choose, between on seeing my elderley parents, for probably the last time, with my whole family unit...... Going up to Queensland next year as my cousins are coming over, a visit that I've known and been able to plan for the last 2 years........ Or Putting a cabin on my caravan site up in Nagambie (a investment actually as I will double my money If I ever got to sell, where If I dont go ahead I lose the 15,000 bucks I paid for the site and van 8 years ago)

One would think it would be a lot easier with a minimal mortgage (less than 350 bucks per month) and a 6 figure income.

Looks like Q'land next March is of the agenda now, dammit..... Must be our fault for not earning over 180,000 bucks per annum,

Pretty pissed off at present. Looks like I'll be driving the Datsun 120y for another couple of years yet lol.
Old May 25th 2006, 4:39 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Our HCF bill is circa 1900 per annum, but there again it's only 70 pct cover, and probably only 10 pct for the orthodontic side of things.

What really peeves me about all of this is, we earn to much to get any child benefits. I now have to choose, between on seeing my elderley parents, for probably the last time, with my whole family unit...... Going up to Queensland next year as my cousins are coming over, a visit that I've known and been able to plan for the last 2 years........ Or Putting a cabin on my caravan site up in Nagambie (a investment actually as I will double my money If I ever got to sell, where If I dont go ahead I lose the 15,000 bucks I paid for the site and van 8 years ago)

One would think it would be a lot easier with a minimal mortgage (less than 350 bucks per month) and a 6 figure income.

Looks like Q'land next March is of the agenda now, dammit..... Must be our fault for not earning over 180,000 bucks per annum,

Pretty pissed off at present. Looks like I'll be driving the Datsun 120y for another couple of years yet lol.
How far north is Nagambie in driving time from Melbourne? or is it flight time?
Old May 25th 2006, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by thebears
How far north is Nagambie in driving time from Melbourne? or is it flight time?

Nagambie is 1 hour 15 mins north of here in Coburg. I've had a Caravan and annexe up there for the past 8 years. The Caravan park named Chinamans bridge is being redeveloped by Jayco, who have visions of it becoming one of the best tourist parks in Aussie. Nagambie has a large lakes and river systems running through and all around the region.

There are lots of wineries up in the region, boasting one of the oldest wineries in Aussie, in the 145 YO tahbilk wineries. There are also plenty of other activites, such as sky diving, boating, fishing, golf, and abundant wetland wildlife. There is more detail in the following URL

http://www.nagambielakestourism.com.au/actatt/index.php

Got a nice picture of my visiting UK cousin having a fish of off one of the old jettys.

I'd be mad to not reinvest in being one of the lucky few to have the opportunity to have a cabin on a exclusive river site in this rapidly developing area. Not to mention I would automatically lose 15,000 bucks, that I paid for the site and van 8 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails And this weeks medical bill comes to.....-cousin.jpg  
Old May 25th 2006, 6:38 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We have Medibank Private (Visitors policy) and they covered pretty much everything for husband's knee surgery, plus hospital stay, this January including the anethetist. I think we ended up paying for the MRI scan only.
Old May 25th 2006, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vanessa
We have Medibank Private (Visitors policy) and they covered pretty much everything for husband's knee surgery, plus hospital stay, this January including the anethetist. I think we ended up paying for the MRI scan only.

Personally I think Health insurance is one of the biggest rip offs in Aussie.... Top cover would come to close to 3,000 bucks per annum for a family. Most surgical procedures, from knees, hernias, and most other assorted ailments would come out at less than 9,000 bucks or 3 years cover. If you add the fact that there is very little difference in the service for giving birth between private and medical, save for the hospital bed, then unless one is prone to Illness I think Health insurance is a waste of money. Wish I could convince my wife of that though lol.

I knew this orthodontic procedures where coming. If I could have insured just for those 3 years ago, I would have been well in front.... afaik the insurers just tab it on as a extra on the full cover, which means you have to be up in the 3,000 per annum area to reap the cover. As we havn't had any claims from the insurers for the past 5 years or so, save for some dental claims, which means we are well and truely out of pocket.